work permit thang

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
YourMother
Expatriate
Trinidad & Tobago

Re: work permit thang

Post by YourMother »

PSD-Kiwi wrote:Basically....

VISA - Currently there are no issues obtaining the Ordinary E-Type visa and extending it, they are not asking for anything extra apart from the visa fee.

WORK PERMIT - If you work in Cambodia, legally you must have a Work Permit and Work Book, and a valid E-Type Visa. This is not a new law, but it hasn't previously been enforced and they are now starting to try and enforce it.
I see. A work permit. Uh huh. What does a work permit look like? You don't know because there is no work permit.

I think it is really great. After all the false rumor mongering and everything ... now it comes out:

THERE IS NO RETROACTIVE FEE. IF YOU GO DIRECTLY TO GET THE PAPERS YOURSELF THERE IS ONLY A MEDICAL, WORKBOOK, AND VISA FEE WHICH IS LESS THAN THE AGENTS. HENCE, IF THE BARANGS FIGURE IT OUT ... LUCKY LUCKY AND ALL AGENTS WILL BE OUT OF A JOB FOR EXPATS OBTAINING VISAS. :lol:
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

YourMother....there is a work permit. I know several people working for reputable companies who have a work permit and work book, the company organised for them to be issued and pay the fees annually. I have seen and touched official work permits and work books, so I know that they do indeed exist, and have done for several years...This is fact.

If I were in Cambodia right now, I would ask a friend if I could take a picture of their WP and WB and post it here for you.

As to the rest of the rumours, I will not make comment because I don't know.
YourMother
Expatriate
Trinidad & Tobago

Post by YourMother »

Ok, I'll bite. Can one single person in Cambodia show me what a work permit looks like? I have been here for quite some time and never seen one.

Anybody in Cambodia have one? No work books please.

There aren't any. Work book, yes. Work permit, no. Maybe an NGO has to get a 'permit', but no such thing issued to an individual.

At least, you are the first person to tell me you have seen them. How can you have seen one when they do not exist.

I am curious.

Your Mother :no:
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

You are not curious, you are arrogant, but soon you will have your own expensive one to look at, if anyone will hire you.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

YourMother....there is at least one person on this forum who has a work permit, that person posted that he has a work permit on another thread, I'm not going to bother searching for the post.

From the people I know who have them, my understanding is that the work permit is usually specific to your current job and is supposed to be applied for and supplied by your employer, the work book is a history of your employment in Cambodia.
igotaworkpermit
Tourist

Post by igotaworkpermit »

I have work permit and workbook. I hold the permit - my employer hangs on to the workbook. It's not a lot bigger than a business card. I don't know how much they paid.
YourMother
Expatriate
Trinidad & Tobago

Post by YourMother »

Do you work for an NGO?

If so, it does not apply to retirees, businesses, nor individuals.

If you apply yourself, there is no work permit. You must get medical (or get around it with tea money), they issue you a work book. Very cheap for one year visa and will hurt the agents if they know you found this out. So the rumor mongering comes down to the retroactive part of it. Which is bogus.

If you are an individual or retiree you would never go to an agent if you figured out it was cheaper to do it properly.

Sure is a lot of controversy, and it is putting a lot of folks up for scams by little 'visits' from 'immigration'.

The agents must be freaking out, cause they would loose a lot of business.

:popcorn:
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

He works for a university.
YourMother
Expatriate
Trinidad & Tobago

Post by YourMother »

Then obviously that was issued by the Ministry of Education. Either way it does not apply to all the people that are retirees, individuals, or businesses. They must get theirs from the Ministry of Labor and Vocational Training. Which only issues the Work Book.

No individual, retiree, nor business owner can obtain any work permit.

But this is Cambodia. Anything is possible.

:popcorn:
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

NGOs are a different kettle of fish, they don't get an E type visa, they get an ngo visa and I am not sure about WPs for them.

Business owners don't need a work permit, but must have a business license.

All foreigners in paid employment must have a work permit and work book by law.

One of the forum members has posted a picture of his work permit yet you still claim there is no such thing. I am not going to post anymore replies in response to you,Yourmother, because apparently you are an expert on Cambodian labour law.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic