Chip Mong Supermarket - any good?

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Chip Mong Supermarket - any good?

Post by cautious colin »

Yesterday I was driving along monivong (between Mao TT & Sihanouk) and noticed the Chip Mong Supermarket.

I can't find any news/website or even anything on the CM facebook page so not 100% sure it is open.

Has anyone been?
How does it compare with lucky/Bayon/Thai Huot etc

Here's hoping it will be better than the above as a good supermarket is needed in this country.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Re: Chip Mong Supermarket - any good?

Post by Jerry Atrick »

I expect it will blow most supermarkets out of the water.
bangkokhooker
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by bangkokhooker »

isnt chip mong a cement company?
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by cautious colin »

bangkokhooker wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:32 pm isnt chip mong a cement company?
It is a conglomerate. I think that is one of the bigger parts of the company. Chip Mong Retail is a relatively new part of the company.

Also own breweries, build hotels among others things
HarleyG
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by HarleyG »

I had the opportunity to stop-n-shop at the new CM Supermarket and of course is spotless clean (being brand spankin’ new) but not alotta depth in their selection of goods. Some prices were a bit higher than equal products at TH or Lucky. The staff was very eager to assist you (rather than shy away). Just reporting it as I experienced it for the first time. Sorry to say, I was not overly impressed with the experience myself.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

HarleyG wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:34 pm I had the opportunity to stop-n-shop at the new CM Supermarket and of course is spotless clean (being brand spankin’ new) but not alotta depth in their selection of goods. Some prices were a bit higher than equal products at TH or Lucky. The staff was very eager to assist you (rather than shy away). Just reporting it as I experienced it for the first time. Sorry to say, I was not overly impressed with the experience myself.
Well thanks for the report anyway, I just spotted the store on Monivong today for the first time. Sounds like it's just another copycat business with nothing new to offer .
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Bubble T
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Bubble T »

They are laying down the ground work on Chip Mong Mall infront of borey Chip Mong Land (aka the Parkland) near Aeon 2.
violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

John Bingham wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:04 am
HarleyG wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:34 pm I had the opportunity to stop-n-shop at the new CM Supermarket and of course is spotless clean (being brand spankin’ new) but not alotta depth in their selection of goods. Some prices were a bit higher than equal products at TH or Lucky. The staff was very eager to assist you (rather than shy away). Just reporting it as I experienced it for the first time. Sorry to say, I was not overly impressed with the experience myself.
Well thanks for the report anyway, I just spotted the store on Monivong today for the first time. Sounds like it's just another copycat business with nothing new to offer .
A supermarket is a supermarket. What non-copycat feature were you wanting?
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

violet wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:58 am
John Bingham wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:04 am
A supermarket is a supermarket. What non-copycat feature were you wanting?
You don't shop a lot, nor do you have a very varied diet, do you?
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

cautious colin wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:36 pm
bangkokhooker wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:32 pm isnt chip mong a cement company?
It is a conglomerate. I think that is one of the bigger parts of the company. Chip Mong Retail is a relatively new part of the company.

Also own breweries, build hotels among others things
I like chipmunks:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic