Do you know any expat clubs in Phnom Penh?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
britscienceteacher
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Do you know any expat clubs in Phnom Penh?

Post by britscienceteacher »

I'm looking for a club that gains members (not one that loses them), where people enjoy themselves and give advice. Besides half the people you mention are not even Western. Advice is really dependent on culture.
prahocalypse now
Expatriate
India

Post by prahocalypse now »

britscienceteacher wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:54 pm Advice is really dependent on culture.
Can you define culture?
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

PSD-Kiwi wrote:There is BritCham which I often see advertising regular functions, I don't know anything else about them, but here's their website... http://britchamcambodia.org/

...and as I previously mentioned, the Hash House Harriers which is a kind of sports/social club...just because there is drinking involved, doesn't mean you need to.
walkjivefly wrote:Maybe try InterNations?
These both seem like the best way to start. They both still seem active.

Are there specific questions, advise or help you're after? Ask us. You've already received helpful responses for your original question, so why stop there?
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
britscienceteacher
Expatriate
Great Britain

Help yourself to a dictionary.

Britcham is the British Chamber of Commerce. I'm not a business owner.
http://britchamcambodia.org/about/what-we-do
britscienceteacher
Expatriate
Great Britain

Thanks GM. I've signed up with Internations. Any other suggestions greatly appreciated.
prahocalypse now
Expatriate
India

Post by prahocalypse now »

britscienceteacher wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:06 pm Help yourself to a dictionary.

In their 1952 book, Culture: A critical review of concepts and definitions, Kroeber and Kluckhohn listed more than 160 definitions of culture. New ones have been suggested since then. A dictionary may give a meaning or meanings of the word culture, but it is notoriously difficult if not impossible to define.

Anyway, the point is that just because you don't have the same ethnicity or nationality as a Korean or a Chinaman, it doesn't mean you don't belong to some of the same cultural groups.
britscienceteacher
Expatriate
Great Britain

If you can tell me some social or sports clubs in PP where Westerners go I'll agree with you completely. I'll even vote for you and give you a character reference. We can be friends.....
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

britscienceteacher wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:06 pm Help yourself to a dictionary.

Britcham is the British Chamber of Commerce. I'm not a business owner.
http://britchamcambodia.org/about/what-we-do
You said no bars, no drugs, no sex. Fair enough. Someone proposed Britcham and the HHH. No need to be rude.

Join Facebook. Go to PP Expats fb page and ask about whatever interests you. There's bound to be a group of expat teachers for example. Or start up a group.
britscienceteacher
Expatriate
Great Britain

Thanks for your off-site suggestions AM. I was only providing feedback on Britcham (it is for business owners) and am stating that I don't go to bars (there are plenty of people who don't - for various reasons). I don't think I've been rude to anybody. I'm not easily offended even when people insult my mother (see Asinine Arena) or suggest I join a suicide club (see above). Many good people receive such comments (especially here). As for asking somebody to use a dictionary I obviously am not one, and the question (asking for a definition of a commonly used word) detracts from the original purpose of the thread.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

Jeezus...you do seem ripe for a social club.

Make sure you report back on which one you've latched onto...so's I don't mistakenly join it.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic