Ministries to start enforcing laws

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Ministries to start enforcing laws

Post by taabarang »

" That would have required forethought, efficiency and proper planning, which are qualities not often demonstrated by the Cambodian government." I highly agree with this. Well, I asked for straws and you threw me one. Thanks for that. What action is anyone else taking?
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
takeoman
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by takeoman »

It is probably worth noting that the author of the article in the Phnom Penh Post is also the head honcho of Cambodian Investment Management. This is a firm that will happily deal with the problems raised, on your behalf, for a fee.
There is still no clear word as to how the work permit issue will affect retirees and the idle rich. :hattip:
The most boring man in the World. Ever!
YourMother
Expatriate
Trinidad & Tobago

Post by YourMother »

Yes, I've heard all different sorts of stories about retirees. And the author of the PP article is also dodgy. The point is, nobody has really posted their experience with being 'busted' by immigration (or whoever they purport to be) and their experience of what they had to do. And have not heard one single person say they had to pay retroactive fees. So ...

I'm waiting on Francis. Maybe it will shed some light.

In the mean time ... I've heard they have hit businesses in PP, and individuals in Kampot, Siem Reap, and SHK. But I hear second hand accounts. So, maybe someone will aspire to let it all hang out and see if it is retroactive.

Francis is it so devastating that you had a heart attack, ack, ack? Now you know why I haven't gotten it translated:)

Your Mother
obelisks
Expatriate
Australia

Post by obelisks »

Francis wrote:If foreign owned businesses are forced to comply with that and to pay the official taxes here (which are just crazily high), then there will be no foreign owned businesses anymore. The asset, financial and profit situation for most foreigners in Cambodia is already dire, and such stupid (I'm tempted to say racist) laws won't improve the Cambodian economy.

Of course they will enforce this stringently. It would be delusional to think otherwise.
Taxes are going up everywhere around the world because governments are cash-strapped and things can only keep getting worse. Australia is warning of higher taxes because of the cost of fighting terrorism.
And I'm sure many of the countries that previously happily donated money to Cambodia are themselves going to be looking for ways to cut back so the Cambodian government will need to look at every cent from wherever it can.
Joker Poker
Expatriate

Post by Joker Poker »

obelisks wrote: And I'm sure many of the countries that previously happily donated money to Cambodia are themselves going to be looking for ways to cut back so the Cambodian government will need to look at every cent from wherever it can.
Been thinking this for a long time.
Francis
Expatriate
Vietnam

Post by Francis »

YourMother wrote: I'm waiting on Francis. Maybe it will shed some light.

Francis is it so devastating that you had a heart attack, ack, ack? Now you know why I haven't gotten it translated:)
Your Mother
I mean fuck.......Cambodians always give me a heart attack. They promise and promise..........and now 24 hours later they came up with a translation that is simply hair-raising. The Cambodian original you have provided is easier to understand than the translation :facepalm: .

So what we found out is the following :dragonchase: :D : It's a "Prakas".......no. 198 issued on August 20, 2014. Prakas 198 is tightly related to Prakas 195 and 196, and 197. Without knowing 195, 196 and 197 you have no chance to understand 198. Prakas 198 isn't online yet (the Ministry of Labor and Vocational Training has last updated it's website sometime in the year 2010 :facepalm: ).

I found one website that issued a newsletter regarding Prakas 195, 196, 197 and 198......maybe you give it a try (pdf document):

http://www.bun-associates.com/wp-conten ... t-2014.pdf

Cambodians are cool guys.......they announce new laws for foreigners......run around with the new law, intimidating and confusing everybody, but nobody is able or willing to translate the law.

Anyway, I'm still waiting for an official translation, and maybe, maybe we will get it (sometime in the year 2018).
Und der Haifisch der hat Tränen
Und die laufen vom Gesicht
Doch der Haifisch lebt im Wasser
So die Tränen sieht man nicht

In der Tiefe ist es einsam
Und so manche Träne fliesst
Und so kommt es dass das Wasser
In den Meeren salzig ist
Francis
Expatriate
Vietnam

Post by Francis »

Ahh, I forgot everything above is related to Prakas 555 issued November 10, 1995, and for that we have a translation here:

http://www.bigpond.com.kh/Council_of_Ju ... mm007g.htm
Und der Haifisch der hat Tränen
Und die laufen vom Gesicht
Doch der Haifisch lebt im Wasser
So die Tränen sieht man nicht

In der Tiefe ist es einsam
Und so manche Träne fliesst
Und so kommt es dass das Wasser
In den Meeren salzig ist
flying chicken
Expatriate

Post by flying chicken »

That's what happened when too many monkeys are in charge.
EVERYONE BOW DOWN AND PAY EXTREME HOMAGE TO HIS MAJESTIES flying chicken©
YourMother
Expatriate
Trinidad & Tobago

Post by YourMother »

Well fuck me, same kinda shit I heard. So, in other words 555 (man, reminds me of the cigs) is da bomb?

Anyone wanna cough it up?

I practically drilled the guy I got it from and he is not giving up any more.

555, damn.

Your Mother says it is all a bunch of bs. So eat your wheatees and suck your porridge.

Then wait for the new ... immigration police! Roarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! Not one single sole has gotten retroactive shit.

I rest my case. Mother Love. NOW EAT YOUR FUCKING SANDWICH AND SHUT UP!

Your Mother :hattip:
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

:facepalm: Did you'all miss it?

Prakas 555 = Prakas hahaha!! (Or is that only in Thailand?)

It's just a joke. It's not real. Get on with your life; but keep your passport and visa up to date.

:popcorn:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic