Ministries to start enforcing laws

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
YourMother
Expatriate
Trinidad & Tobago

Re: Ministries to start enforcing laws

Post by YourMother »

Thanks Francis. I couldn't get a correct understanding ...... and ............. it may change, but enforcement is taking place.
Sir_Quality_U_Feel
Expatriate

Post by Sir_Quality_U_Feel »

NGO workers are exempt, I do believe.
I'll give ya 500 Riel for it...
YourMother
Expatriate
Trinidad & Tobago

Post by YourMother »

@ Sir Quality U Feel ... they are not exempt. Be sure your NGO is registered, and if so that they have the ... up to 10 people, or more to cover themselves. I do not know if you will be accountable if they do not have the proper paperwork. I know the director of and NGO that is pretty sure of what he has.

Waiting on Francis ...........................
Francis
Expatriate
Vietnam

Post by Francis »

We are working on it.....fucking legal document.......kind of problematic, but we are working.
Und der Haifisch der hat Tränen
Und die laufen vom Gesicht
Doch der Haifisch lebt im Wasser
So die Tränen sieht man nicht

In der Tiefe ist es einsam
Und so manche Träne fliesst
Und so kommt es dass das Wasser
In den Meeren salzig ist
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

Yeh, I hate legalese in any language. Go for it and if I find a rough spot, I'll do my best to help out. That's all for now, time to hit the hay in srok srai.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
Francis
Expatriate
Vietnam

Post by Francis »

Well, that's embarrassing now, but the translation takes longer than expected. I have here 3 guys -one of them is a lawyer- and they have problems with the interpretation of the law. I have told them to translate the document as accurate as possible because one thing that we don't need is more confusion to the already existing confusion. Anyway....they took the document with them and told me that they will figure it out till tomorrow. Well, let's see.
I also transferred the document to my embassy with a request for translation. Now you will ask me whether I'm totally nuts......embassies are not here to help us but to fuck us up the arse......and probably you are right.......but I gave it a try. As soon I have any news, I'll report it.
Und der Haifisch der hat Tränen
Und die laufen vom Gesicht
Doch der Haifisch lebt im Wasser
So die Tränen sieht man nicht

In der Tiefe ist es einsam
Und so manche Träne fliesst
Und so kommt es dass das Wasser
In den Meeren salzig ist
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

Besides fleeing the country and leaving it and my wife and kids behind, can anyone think of a reasonable course of action other than paying the extortionate "fine" they are imposing. I have been here a long time and simply do not have the money and if I did I would give it to my wife who frankly is quite worried about her 70 year old husband's future or lack thereof in this country.
Are there any organizations or embassies that are exploring this issue? Any straws you can throw me to clutch onto will be appreciated.
Soi Dog
Expatriate

Post by Soi Dog »

You are concerned about the back payments now due for previous business visas? Perhaps obtaining a new passport would be a cheaper option? New passports aren't cheap but you need one anyway and some people here may have 8 years of business visas pasted in their current passport. Going forward, looks like there is not much to do but pay up until they initiate a retirement visa.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

Soi Dog, I would be willing to bet that visa data has been entered into the computer system. Also, I would have to use my old visa in my old passport to either leave the country or apply for a new visa.
Soi Dog
Expatriate

Post by Soi Dog »

Maybe, but my bet is that no one thought of long term data storage of visitor information when the Cambodia computerized immigration system was put in place. I find it hard to believe they have that old visa info readily available. That would have required forethought, efficiency and proper planning, which are qualities not often demonstrated by the Cambodian government.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic