Live music in Sihanoukville

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
SaxPatriot
Tourist
France

Live music in Sihanoukville

Post by SaxPatriot »

Hi,
I am a saxophonist and music composer, I am also teaching.
Soon moving from KL, Malaysia to Sihanoukville.
I'll be glad to know if there are musicians from SHV or elsewhere here in this forum?
I am very keen on learning about music and impatient to meet musicians.
I would like to know more about venues in SHV and best place to jam and meet people. it seems that lots of info about SHV night life are quickly obsolete these days...
Oh, and I am also interested in teaching (paid or non-profit)

Any advice, please?
thanks.
Hotdigr
Expatriate

Re: Live music in Sihanoukville

Post by Hotdigr »

When you get there, ask around for Graham Cain. He runs Top Hat promotions in S/ville. If you head down to Above Us Only Sky on Serendipity beach, the owner there can probably put you in touch with him.
Unfortunately though, you are pretty much to late. Most of the old S/ville muso's have moved to Kampot where there is now a very vibrant live music scene. S/ville only has a couple of places that still do live music. Also, I believe Graham is almost ready to move to Vietnam himself fairly soon. Sorry mate, but realistically you are probably to late for Sihanoukville. Try Kampot or Phnom Penh or Siem Reap instead would be my advice.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

might be some venues down the road at the Otres Village on Saturday nights
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Hotdigr
Expatriate

Post by Hotdigr »

Jamie_Lambo wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:55 am might be some venues down the road at the Otres Village on Saturday nights
Yeah possibly mate. Otres Market should be reopening for the season again soon too.
bangkokhooker
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by bangkokhooker »

Cant see otres village area surviving much longer.
its got maybe 12 months at a guess
Heng Heng Heng
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by Heng Heng Heng »

SaxPatriot wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:23 am Hi,
I am a saxophonist and music composer, I am also teaching.
Soon moving from KL, Malaysia to Sihanoukville.
I'll be glad to know if there are musicians from SHV or elsewhere here in this forum?
I am very keen on learning about music and impatient to meet musicians.
I would like to know more about venues in SHV and best place to jam and meet people. it seems that lots of info about SHV night life are quickly obsolete these days...
Oh, and I am also interested in teaching (paid or non-profit)

Any advice, please?
thanks.
How's your repertoire of Chinese tunes?
This is the voice of the Mysterons. We know that you can hear us Earthmen.
SaxPatriot
Tourist
France

Post by SaxPatriot »

Heng Heng Heng wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:40 pm How's your repertoire of Chinese tunes?
Pretty good actually, though I am not a mandarin speaker.
I have been working a lot with Malaysian Chinese musicians, lots of weddings gigs, corporate events etc, I am confident playing taiwan pop hits, canto pops hit, and CNY songs as well
Considering that the Chinese population increases lately, there might be some opportunities, am I right?
SaxPatriot
Tourist
France

Post by SaxPatriot »

Hotdigr wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:17 pm When you get there, ask around for Graham Cain. He runs Top Hat promotions in S/ville. If you head down to Above Us Only Sky on Serendipity beach, the owner there can probably put you in touch with him.
Unfortunately though, you are pretty much to late. Most of the old S/ville muso's have moved to Kampot where there is now a very vibrant live music scene. S/ville only has a couple of places that still do live music. Also, I believe Graham is almost ready to move to Vietnam himself fairly soon. Sorry mate, but realistically you are probably to late for Sihanoukville. Try Kampot or Phnom Penh or Siem Reap instead would be my advice.
Thank you very much for the advice; I don't mind commuting a little, though I'll be based in SHV cause my wife found work there.
I also want to performer with khmers and Chinese as much as possible, Having stayed 6 years in Malaysia made me a very adaptable musician with a broad and eclectic repertoire
SaxPatriot
Tourist
France

Post by SaxPatriot »

By the way, any of you gigging here and there??
Heng Heng Heng
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by Heng Heng Heng »

SaxPatriot wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:47 pm
Heng Heng Heng wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:40 pm How's your repertoire of Chinese tunes?
Pretty good actually, though I am not a mandarin speaker.
I have been working a lot with Malaysian Chinese musicians, lots of weddings gigs, corporate events etc, I am confident playing taiwan pop hits, canto pops hit, and CNY songs as well
Considering that the Chinese population increases lately, there might be some opportunities, am I right?
Then you're in definitely in! Just don't let them refer to you as a saxtourist; it's a little demeaning.
This is the voice of the Mysterons. We know that you can hear us Earthmen.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic