The Countries Polluting the Oceans the Most

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
stevenjb
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: The Countries Polluting the Oceans the Most

Post by stevenjb »

I have seen a report that researchers are interested in micro plastic fragments entering human organs through ingestion of bottled drinking water and how the body will respond to these invaders.

bangkokhooker
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by bangkokhooker »

Josh_76 wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:54 am
StroppyChops wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:17 am This whole "ban the straws" political movement amuses me. Like the global warming debate, nothing will change until the usual culprits clean up their acts. So, until China stop being filthy buggers, the straws aren't going to matter much.
Literally nobody claimed that banning plastic straws would "matter much" but every little bit helps/everyone can contribute something and why put more shit out there that will be around for years and spoil the countryside.

I agree with your second part though. When I read last year about India building more power plants using their low grade dirty coal, I and a few others thought "we are fucked".
the big petrochemical companies all sell low grade diesel to african nations

its all about money
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Josh_76 wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:54 am Literally nobody claimed that banning plastic straws would "matter much"
Google "ban straws" - literally a lot of people are claiming that. Are you sure you understand how the word 'literally' is used?
but every little bit helps/everyone can contribute something
That's like throwing a thimble of water at a house fire while another guy is spraying the house with gasoline from a fuel tanker, but okay, you contribute if it makes you feel good.
and why put more shit out there that will be around for years and spoil the countryside.

I agree with your second part though. When I read last year about India building more power plants using their low grade dirty coal, I and a few others thought "we are fucked".
Yep. When I was in India the visibility was about 3 meters. Nearly as bad as China. Both from dirty coal. I'm so very glad that outlawing straws in western countries will help fix that.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

violet wrote:Perhaps goods should be pricier so we consume less, waste less and stop with the throw away society that values the latest versions of gadgets and cheap clothes so we can update the wardrobe every week.

No one wants a return to the early 1900s but there's a compromise to he had, in my opinion.
Which gadgets? Maybe no motos? No smartphones, no computers? No cosmetics? No shoes?

All these goods require global chains that employ millions or billions of people. Producing less leads to unemployment. Is global unemployment a desirable goal?
xxxxxxx
Expatriate

Post by xxxxxxx »

newkidontheblock wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:16 am
violet wrote:Perhaps goods should be pricier so we consume less, waste less and stop with the throw away society that values the latest versions of gadgets and cheap clothes so we can update the wardrobe every week.

No one wants a return to the early 1900s but there's a compromise to he had, in my opinion.
Which gadgets? Maybe no motos? No smartphones, no computers? No cosmetics? No shoes?

All these goods require global chains that employ millions or billions of people. Producing less leads to unemployment. Is global unemployment a desirable goal?
Nobody is suggesting doing without things completely, but rather some more sustainable alternatives and some self-imposed moderation in consumption with a thought given to environmental responsibility during design, manufacture, purchase and eventual disposal.
xxxxxxx
Expatriate

Post by xxxxxxx »

StroppyChops wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:39 pm
Josh_76 wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:54 am but every little bit helps/everyone can contribute something
That's like throwing a thimble of water at a house fire while another guy is spraying the house with gasoline from a fuel tanker, but okay, you contribute if it makes you feel good.
Then why bother doing anything ever for any cause you personally believe in? Why even try to reduce some poverty and lack of education for a few fortunate Cambodians when everyone else isn't doing that and millions of poor aren't being helped by anyone? All your good deeds are a figurative thimbleful of water thrown into a raging forest fire of need.

Be the change you want to see in the world, Josh_76. Do what you can and lead by example and others may even choose to follow. Or they may not. But that's about all an individual can do in this world. And yeah, it can feel good too.

Seasquatch
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Seasquatch »

Straws are one thing but it's the cigarette filters all over the beach(any beach) that really ticks me off, all these years and they can't find a way to make a biodegradable filter?
------
aka Yankee Gringo Gaijin aka Seppy Yank
tightenupvolume1
Expatriate
India

Post by tightenupvolume1 »

I buy my drugs in little plasic bags, it pisses me off and then i take the drugs and i don't care :stir:

charlie
xxxxxxx
Expatriate

Post by xxxxxxx »

tightenupvolume1 wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:27 am I buy my drugs in little plasic bags, it pisses me off and then i take the drugs and i don't care :stir:

charlie
Please recycle the little plastic bags after consuming the drugs, like any responsible citizen should do. Think of the children! Won't someone PLEASE think about the children? But don't give the children the drugs... unless they are having really bad withdrawals or something. Thank you.
stevenjb
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by stevenjb »

tightenupvolume1 wrote:I buy my drugs in little plasic bags, it pisses me off and then i take the drugs and i don't care :stir:

charlie
Make sure you lick the inside of the plastic bag so no residue is left over.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic