can i know your opinion ?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
gaplem
Expatriate
Singapore

can i know your opinion ?

Post by gaplem »

hello, i think that khmer are more open and more interested to talk with foreigners than Thai, is it only me or a shared opinion ?
what is your experience ? thank you.
Ricky Dunn
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: can i know your opinion ?

Post by Ricky Dunn »

Maybe a slight edge to Cambodians.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Thai's, even if they speak English, are more shy about using it for fear of making a mistake an losing face
If you speak thai, they are very open an talkative.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

In the tourist areas, most people are focused on getting your money. There is very little genuine friendship. It is mostly a fake act.

In the villages many people are genuinely friendly.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Broad brushing here but from my experience, unless a Thai is well educated and has traveled/lived overseas, they generally consider foreigners inferior. They are pretty much taught at schools that Thailand and the king is the centre of the universe. As a result, they consider farangs uncultured and I'd go further and say they inherently dislike them. On the other hand, thais are very tolerant..

It's interesting that most thais would rather live in Thailand and don't want to live in another country whereas in the Philippines for example, the opposite is the case.

I haven't found the same superiority attitude amongst Cambodians. Whilst they are very proud of their country, I reckon they are more open to foreigners. One of the reasons I chose to live in Cambodia..I feel accepted here. When I was in Thailand, I always felt like an outsider.

Again, it's all subjective and depends on individual experiences but that's my view anyway. So OP I agree with you.
bangkokhooker
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by bangkokhooker »

thais stopped giving a duck about farang in the early 90s

Cambodians r much more friendly but u need to smile!
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by fax »

explorer wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:07 am In the tourist areas, most people are focused on getting your money. There is very little genuine friendship. It is mostly a fake act.
What, you mean my friendly driver who takes me on city tours and restaurants far out of the city is not my true friend? Posting a picture of us together let me know if you what you think.

newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

He must be related to the guy who tries to drop
me off at ‘the best guesthouse’, not the one I’ve reserved and paid for. Also related to the guy who sent to me the Khmer restaurant ‘all the locals eat at’. Tourists only, local motodops at the back.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

phuketrichard wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:49 am Thai's, even if they speak English, are more shy about using it for fear of making a mistake an losing face
If you speak thai, they are very open an talkative.
yeah i hear some are shy about their Thai/English accent too
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
gaplem
Expatriate
Singapore

Post by gaplem »

explorer wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:07 am In the tourist areas, most people are focused on getting your money. There is very little genuine friendship. It is mostly a fake act.

In the villages many people are genuinely friendly.

And they speak english in the villages ?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic