The future of Cambodia looks increasingly Chinese

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Artful Dodger
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: The future of Cambodia looks increasingly Chinese

Post by Artful Dodger »

Username Taken wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:55 pm
Artful Dodger wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:53 pm
John Bingham wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:40 pm
Artful Dodger wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:32 pm Given that the "Big Man" lives most of each year in his large villa outside Beijing, this is no surprise at all.
Unless you mean the king or his deceased father, that's the first I've ever heard of it. Where are you getting this from?
It is well reported in the media
If it's so well reported, could you provide several links to support your 'well reported' claim?
I will look for some links... Have read references to it many times over the years
Water quenches the thirst, alcohol releases the truth.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

I think you might be confusing the royal family with the PM. Sihanouk had palaces in Beijing and Pyongyang, and the current king still spends quite a bit of time in Beijing. The PM has a villa at Cap Saint Jacques/ Vũng Tàu but I'm not aware of any residence he has ever had in China.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

John Bingham wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:22 pm I think you might be confusing the royal family with the PM. Sihanouk had palaces in Beijing and Pyongyang, and the current king still spends quite a bit of time in Beijing. The PM has a villa at Cap Saint Jacques/ Vũng Tàu but I'm not aware of any residence he has ever had in China.
While the above is true. I wouldn't be surprised to find he does have a nice pad somewhere close to his overlords in China.
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

Artful Dodger wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:32 pm Given that the "Big Man" lives most of each year in his large villa outside Beijing, this is no surprise at all.
Is this fact or pure speculation?
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

Mr B nailed it, I think.
HE seems to have lost a lot of weight in the past 12 months.
He has been in office a long time and has mentioned that himself more than once.
sklmeera
Expatriate
Bhutan

Post by sklmeera »

This is great news for Khymer people . Their country will have money and resources poured into it by a world superpower . Poverty will become a thing of the past . The people can learn a new culture . Chinese language teachers will have lots of jobs . Difficult to think of any downsides to this unless you are a native English teacher because their jobs are going to dry up very soon .
bangkokhooker
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by bangkokhooker »

not sure if serious meme
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by fax »

sklmeera wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:17 am This is great news for Khymer people . Their country will have money and resources poured into it by a world superpower . Poverty will become a thing of the past . The people can learn a new culture . Chinese language teachers will have lots of jobs . Difficult to think of any downsides to this unless you are a native English teacher because their jobs are going to dry up very soon .
What a crock of shit. You should try opening a history book sometime! There's no shortage of Chinese influence in the region. Hey, did you ever wonder what the "Siem" in "Siem Reap" stands for? Have you heard of Oudong? Any bets on where over half the spirituality tout came from? Chinese language teachers have always had lots of jobs.

It's difficult to believe that you could know so little yet want to educate others. Have you even set foot in Cambodia? You spelled "Khmer" wrong.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

sklmeera wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:17 am Khymer
What the hell is that? It doesn't sound remotely like any real word.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Multipox
Expatriate
Andorra

Post by Multipox »

Artful Dodger wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:34 pm ....
How do I say this in Chinese?
"Fuck off back to your own country"
This is their back yard, has been for thousands of years. Tributary state.
When I need advice about life, I just check in here.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic