Talkin'about the weather.

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
Heng Heng Heng
Expatriate
New Zealand

Talkin'about the weather.

Post by Heng Heng Heng »

I was just watching the "news", and it was reported that there were record temperatures today in Seoul. 39.6C they say! Worst in 111 years they say! Wait a minute, I didn't realize that global warming or as they call it these days climate change extended back that far. Let me do some complex calculations; 2018 - 111 = 1907.

What happened in the year 1907 A.D to make such a profound effect in the weather? Let me see Teddy Roosevelt was president. The world's population was not much over a billion. Hell, the Model T Ford didn't come to production until the following year.

It must have have been unbearably hot as residential air conditioning wasn't introduced until the 1920's, and at the time, only about 8% of US households had electricity. So even a lowly fan was out of the question.

Granted, there were steamboats and steam trains, a lot of them, and the industrial revolution had started about 90 years before. Yes, perhaps that's it! The steam engines did it!

But just a cotton pickin' minute! If it was 39.6C, 111 years ago, by my figuring taking in to account rampant industrialization, the ever increasing use of that infernal combustion engine and the runaway human population growth wouldn't they be reporting that it was 50C today in Seoul?

Well it's true, I'm no meteorologist or mathematician come to think of, but for the temperatures to go lower rather than higher seems to buck the trend to me. Of course I'd need accurate weather data for 1811, 1711, 1611, 1511.... to confirm my theories. Perhaps after all my research and maybe a grant from GoFundMe, I'll find it's normally hot in the summertime.
This is the voice of the Mysterons. We know that you can hear us Earthmen.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Re: Talkin'about the weather.

Post by IraHayes »

No no.... you are barking up the wrong tree. I distinctly recall from my childhood that we are actually headed for another ice-age. In fact we are overdue one.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

IraHayes wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:05 pm No no.... you are barking up the wrong tree. I distinctly recall from my childhood that we are actually headed for another ice-age. In fact we are overdue one.
I believe the new ice-age has been postponed until Elon Musk gets us to Mars.
Gardiguy
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Gardiguy »

Weather and climate are 2 different things....
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

We don't say "global warming" any more, as the commoners have realised the science doesn't add up. Now we say "climate change" and hope the commoners don't realise the climate has been changing from day 1, whatever you believe that to be. If you really want to make them squirm, say "man-made climate change"!

(No, I'm not a denier, but I'm strongly skeptical of climatologists making declarative statements that disagree with the declarative statements they made five years ago, and 10 years ago, and ...)
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
bangkokhooker
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by bangkokhooker »

didnt national geographic admit that they “went to far” with the picture of a starving polar bear and blaming global warming?
kiwiincambodia
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by kiwiincambodia »

StroppyChops wrote:We don't say "global warming" any more, as the commoners have realised the science doesn't add up. Now we say "climate change" and hope the commoners don't realise the climate has been changing from day 1, whatever you believe that to be. If you really want to make them squirm, say "man-made climate change"!

(No, I'm not a denier, but I'm strongly skeptical of climatologists making declarative statements that disagree with the declarative statements they made five years ago, and 10 years ago, and ...)
I’m not a denier either, the earth has had cycles of cold and hot since inception. It’s only a matter of time we have another ice age or such. However I do believe that with the pollutants we (we as in humans in general) are pumping into the air we are speeding up this natural process.
bangkokhooker
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by bangkokhooker »

how is pumping chemicals into the atmosphere making an ice age happen sooner?

you know all these natural eruptions like the one in hawaii? billions of tons of toxic shit that puts human man made pollution to shame.

u underestimate mother nature
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Climate change - weather is becoming more extreme - don't think you can disagree about that. The problem under discussion is whether mankind is responsible, or whether this is a natural climatic effect.
Whatever, it's not my fault and I don't want to be held responsible for this. :-o Etc
(but I do want to drive my car or fly everywhere, and have 24h A/C, lol).
Gardiguy
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Gardiguy »

kiwiincambodia wrote:
StroppyChops wrote:We don't say "global warming" any more, as the commoners have realised the science doesn't add up. Now we say "climate change" and hope the commoners don't realise the climate has been changing from day 1, whatever you believe that to be. If you really want to make them squirm, say "man-made climate change"!

I’m not a denier either, the earth has had cycles of cold and hot since inception. It’s only a matter of time we have another ice age or such. However I do believe that with the pollutants we (we as in humans in general) are pumping into the air we are speeding up this natural process.
It is part of a self feedback loop that did not exist in earlier times resulting in an increasingly difficult position for humans. Past warming events have resulted in mass extinction events across all species. I do agree with stroppy that the end of the world proclaimers have definitely not helped their case and are borderline rediculous at times.

Result is things like this -
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-018-05252-y

And this -
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/scie ... 75121.html

And this is considered the definitive read for climate change -
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Six_Deg ... ter_Planet

And finally a graph of the last 1000 years
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic