Talkin'about the weather.

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Re: Talkin'about the weather.

Post by StroppyChops »

bangkokhooker wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:14 pm didnt national geographic admit that they “went to far” with the picture of a starving polar bear and blaming global warming?
Yes, there's a "retraction" by National Geographic here: https://www.nationalgeographic.com/maga ... ear-photo/
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

kiwiincambodia wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:30 pm I’m not a denier either, the earth has had cycles of cold and hot since inception. It’s only a matter of time we have another ice age or such. However I do believe that with the pollutants we (we as in humans in general) are pumping into the air we are speeding up this natural process.
Anchor Moy wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:08 pm Climate change - weather is becoming more extreme - don't think you can disagree about that. The problem under discussion is whether mankind is responsible, or whether this is a natural climatic effect.
Whatever, it's not my fault and I don't want to be held responsible for this. :-o Etc
(but I do want to drive my car or fly everywhere, and have 24h A/C, lol).
It's definitely the "mankind-caused" element that gets my goat, although having been to both India and China, I can definitely see the contribution there. However by comparison the west contributes far less, and yet is expected to respond so much more strongly to the guilt tactics used by the green industry - and let's be honest, it IS an industry that's geared toward making individuals important, and therefore rich, rather than saving the planet. There's strong argument that Australia's landmass vs. population causes a negative-negative global warming effect (read that twice if you need to) although the most recent batch of climatology research suggests that's changing.

To be honest, it's a little too easy for this branch of science to play Nostradamus, knowing full well they're not going to be around to see their prophecies fulfilled or not - but haven't they gone silent on the "global warming, rising sea levels" prophecy?

AM, you're just rubbing our faces in it that you can afford to drive, fly, and have a/c!
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

There is a problem, and surely, solving the problem is more important than fixing the blame.
Even if you love global warming and think it's great for the planet, there's a shit-load of adaptions to be made.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

StroppyChops wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:21 pm
kiwiincambodia wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:30 pm I’m not a denier either, the earth has had cycles of cold and hot since inception. It’s only a matter of time we have another ice age or such. However I do believe that with the pollutants we (we as in humans in general) are pumping into the air we are speeding up this natural process.
Anchor Moy wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:08 pm Climate change - weather is becoming more extreme - don't think you can disagree about that. The problem under discussion is whether mankind is responsible, or whether this is a natural climatic effect.
Whatever, it's not my fault and I don't want to be held responsible for this. :-o Etc
(but I do want to drive my car or fly everywhere, and have 24h A/C, lol).
It's definitely the "mankind-caused" element that gets my goat, although having been to both India and China, I can definitely see the contribution there. However by comparison the west contributes far less, and yet is expected to respond so much more strongly to the guilt tactics used by the green industry - and let's be honest, it IS an industry that's geared toward making individuals important, and therefore rich, rather than saving the planet. There's strong argument that Australia's landmass vs. population causes a negative-negative global warming effect (read that twice if you need to) although the most recent batch of climatology research suggests that's changing.

To be honest, it's a little too easy for this branch of science to play Nostradamus, knowing full well they're not going to be around to see their prophecies fulfilled or not - but haven't they gone silent on the "global warming, rising sea levels" prophecy?

AM, you're just rubbing our faces in it that you can afford to drive, fly, and have a/c!
Never use A/C unless its absolutely necessary. And I feel bad about the driving and the flying, but boats are just too slow.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Anchor Moy wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:27 pm There is a problem, and surely, solving the problem is more important than fixing the blame.
Even if you love global warming and think it's great for the planet, there's a shit-load of adaptions to be made.
I have a mate in the Western Australian desert who founded his own commercial solar farm (because he wanted ice for his whiskey, long story) and had to fight bureaucracy every single step of the way. He's an absolutely crazy genius and his farm is very successful - and so now the government is looking at ways to prevent him selling back onto the grid, removing tax incentives that were guaranteed at the time he built, putting out false news, etc. to do anything within it's power to put him out of business.

There are other stories of governments doing similar, or removing domestic incentives for putting up panels and instead taxing those who do, as apparently we CAN tax sunlight.

Blame? I'd blame the traditional power producers who are paying off governments and government representatives to ensure fossil fuels stay in use until they greedy bastards have "enough."
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

I am having trouble uploading a temp/time graph that covers the last 10k years to debunk the one previously posted.
The link to it is http://jonova.s3.amazonaws.com/graphs/l ... 00-new.png

IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

Seems to have worked
Gardiguy
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Gardiguy »

IraHayes wrote:I am having trouble uploading a temp/time graph that covers the last 10k years to debunk the one previously posted.

When was this graph made and by whom? Mine was revised in July 2018.

Supported by both nasa and NOAA
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

IraHayes wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:51 pm I am having trouble uploading a temp/time graph that covers the last 10k years to debunk the one previously posted.

No no no! That doesn't suit the political narrative, so it's fake news and bad science! What are you, religious?
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

StroppyChops wrote:
Anchor Moy wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:27 pm There is a problem, and surely, solving the problem is more important than fixing the blame.
I have a mate in the Western Australian desert who founded his own commercial solar farm (because he wanted ice for his whiskey, long story) and had to fight bureaucracy every single step of the way. He's an absolutely crazy genius and his farm is very successful - and so now the government is looking at ways to prevent him selling back onto the grid, removing tax incentives that were guaranteed at the time he built, putting out false news, etc. to do anything within it's power to put him out of business.

There are other stories of governments doing similar, or removing domestic incentives for putting up panels and instead taxing those who do, as apparently we CAN tax sunlight.

Blame? I'd blame the traditional power producers who are paying off governments and government representatives to ensure fossil fuels stay in use until they greedy bastards have "enough."
You might be drinking too much of the conspiracy cool aid. Could be just as simple as he doesn’t have lobbyists in the government, government contracts, government officials working in his company getting their share, etc.

He’s now big enough that other power producers, be it solar, fossil fuel, hydro, nuclear now see him as a future competitor.

What’s the business 101 rule about dealing with the competition?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic