Joining the slow lane - is it possible in Phnom Penh? And how does the economics work out?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
britscienceteacher
Expatriate
Great Britain

Joining the slow lane - is it possible in Phnom Penh? And how does the economics work out?

Post by britscienceteacher »

Joining the slow lane - is it possible in PP? And how does the economics work out?

I came to PP to get back to a relaxed, easy-going life. I want to find a teaching job in a public school with about a 10-15 hours a week workload (if you teach in a school you'll know there is plenty of other stuff in your schedule - so this is realistic and what I've previously had). I want a relaxed lifestyle again - that's why I chose to come to Cambodia. Now I'm here though I see the toothpaste in my local supermarket is $5 a tube and the price of many everyday items can be (strangely) very high, and it does add up. Many people have told me about high salaries and heavy workloads. That's not what I'm looking for, but with the prices that everyday items seem to be available at (at least around where I live - no idea about anybody else's experience) I'm expecting that expat salaries really must be very high.

I know it's hard to get info like this. I saw chopstickDragon's attempt, which seems to have been immediately jumped on by Gilmore who seems to reposition a request for info into an interview with an attitude that reminds me of a certain school (in another less relaxed country) I once worked for.

topic14958.html

The school in question delayed my paperwork continuously (even with my wife trying to get it done - she knows the process inside out and has done it many times). In that place the hours were on the heavy side and my friendly manager got swapped for somebody who barked orders, teacher's room furniture was continually swapped, the teachers room was then moved, the books didn't arrived (for six weeks) and I needed to teach a group of kids that didn't really speak English a science class by finding materials on the internet (and when they did they were still far too difficult so it didn't change much), and many other strange happenings (including disturbances in the night which resulted in a lack of sleep). My colleagues were telling me it was all illegal and that the school just had 'connections', and kept relaying stories of other illegal stuff that was happening - no idea why. After two months (with my legal paperwork still not done - a government inspection had already ocurred in the meantime (at least that's what I was told and I apparently saw - whatever that meant - it didn't seem to have any upshot on anything) I left. I won't say anything more about it and am intentionally light on details. I do appreciate being able to post here and use social media (it isn't available in all parts of the world).

Needless to say I like the easy-going nature of Cambodia. And you'll probably understand why I don't want to jump into some position with a high salary (I couldn't collect the full salary from that particular school anyway - because they wanted a month in hand - which I only began to ponder afterwards).

Having given a bit of a context, is it possible to join the slow lane here (I don't have high expectations)?
Equinix
Expatriate

Re: Joining the slow lane - is it possible in PP? And how does the economics work out?

Post by Equinix »

$5 toothpaste, lol. All the super markets I go to have toothpaste for $1-$1.5. (might have, some special brands for $5, don't buy those. (Problem - - > solution)

Didn't read the whole post yet. Just starting my first coffee =)

Sent from my HUAWEI P9 lite using Tapatalk

John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Joining the slow lane - is it possible in PP? And how does the economics work out?

Post by John Bingham »

britscienceteacher wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:45 am I want to find a teaching job in a public school...
They don't employ foreigners at public schools.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

I may be wrong but the whole post is a bit confusing, I think, and it seems maybe the purpose of the whole thing was to take a swipe at Gilmore

Go and see Panassastra University, teach from 5:30 to 8:30 pm Monday to Friday, get $11/ hour, I think
britscienceteacher
Expatriate
Great Britain

I'm writing in earnest with a context to help people understand my question

I'm writing in earnest. The reason why I start by providing a bit of info is that chopstickDragon got told off for not doing this (people do have very different experiences even in the same place and one must try not to judge). I wanted to ask for real info about a jobs that fit well with family life (so I can see as much of my family as possible). I'm not after big bucks (I value quality family time over personal wealth while my boy is still small). Is there anybody that happens to be in this kind of job (and perhaps for similar reasons)? I don't know why chopstickDragon drew such ire, was he too materialistic (each to their own I think - perhaps he's single)? Anyway, his question never got answered if anybody knew. Some people are really helpful here. Jamie Lambo was even kind enough to provide a google map image with an answer to a question I posted a few weeks ago and I greatly appreciated angkorjohn's opinion too - my boy really liked Wat Botum Park.
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

Equinix wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:59 am $5 toothpaste, lol. All the super markets I go to have toothpaste for $1-$1.5. (might have, some special brands for $5, don't buy those. (Problem - - > solution)
I thought that. I think he must have bought this :D

Natural Herbs Toothpaste $5

Description

Natural Herbs Toothpaste imported from Thailand
Made from natural ingredients which leaves your mouth clean and fresh
Unlike chemicals toothpaste, it scrubs clean, strengthening gums and teeth.
Treating halitosis, removes tobacco, tea, and coffee stains.
Reduce bad breath, dental plague and powerful freshness
https://www.khmer24.com/en/natural-herb ... 55336.html
britscienceteacher
Expatriate
Great Britain

Topic reminder - relaxing teaching job with normal hours

britscienceteacher wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:24 pm I'm writing in earnest. The reason why I start by providing a bit of info is that chopstickDragon got told off for not doing this (people do have very different experiences even in the same place and one must try not to judge). I wanted to ask for real info about a jobs that fit well with family life (so I can see as much of my family as possible). I'm not after big bucks (I value quality family time over personal wealth while my boy is still small). Is there anybody that happens to be in this kind of job (and perhaps for similar reasons)? I don't know why chopstickDragon drew such ire, was he too materialistic (each to their own I think - perhaps he's single)? Anyway, his question never got answered if anybody knew. Some people are really helpful here. Jamie Lambo was even kind enough to provide a google map image with an answer to a question I posted a few weeks ago and I greatly appreciated angkorjohn's opinion too - my boy really liked Wat Botum Park.

Can we get off the topic of toothpaste please before our resident team of talkative green-skinned friends turn this into the 'toothpaste thread', it was a general example of the living costs around where I am (in the South by Mao Tse Toung Blvd). Regardless of the kind of toothpaste you like to take photos of I'd really like to hear from anybody who works in a relaxing job with normal hours, perhaps I'd even like to be your colleague if you're a teacher. Thank you to all future relevant posters.
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

Define: 'relaxing'
Define: 'Normal hours'

As a science teacher, you should know this. Just saying.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

that genius wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:01 pm Define: 'relaxing'
Define: 'Normal hours'

As a science teacher, you should know this. Just saying.
think he mentioned a 10-15hour week workload is what hes after, first sentence of the OP
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

True and noted.Apologies.. What does he mean by relaxing?...We need more input

Sent from my SM-A800S using Tapatalk

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic