Joining the slow lane - is it possible in Phnom Penh? And how does the economics work out?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Re: Joining the slow lane - is it possible in Phnom Penh? And how does the economics work out?

Post by Duncan »

phuketrichard wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:43 am I have 3 friends all working at the American international High school in Yangon
1 runs the it dept +teaches 2 hours/day, 2 teach (1 primary,1 science/math)
all are Americans
all earn $2,800++all get a free flight to bangkok every 70 days and visa paid for
all get a free flight back to the states once/year
all get 1 2 bedroom apt ( worth apx $2,500/month in Yangon)
1 gets free tuition for his son
the tech guy is the only one without a masters but he has all the experience and letters behind his name
work on campus 8-12, 1-4 monday-friday
Good money over there

Makes me wonder how much students school fees are for the school to pay those salaries plus running costs ?
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
violet
Expatriate

Re: Joining the slow lane - is it possible in Phnom Penh? And how does the economics work out?

Post by violet »

that genius wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:31 am What's wrong with an employee asking that, violet? Most people work a 40 hour week...why should teachers not? Factory workers here work 48 hours a week and many do overtime.

Sent from my SM-A800S using Tapatalk
I work more than forty hours a week, and unlike previous years, I now do it all on the premises (except for marking) It is not split evenly throughout the week in a soul destroying (from the west, and for me) 9-5 rat race. Nor does it equate to one teaching hour for every hour taught. I am happy to discuss in more detail in person with people in further detail.
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
sklmeera
Expatriate
Bhutan

Post by sklmeera »

Relaxing = make or become less tense or anxious.
"he relaxed and smiled confidently"
synonyms: become less tense, loosen, slacken, unknot
"her muscles relaxed"
violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

violet wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:20 am
that genius wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:31 am What's wrong with an employee asking that, violet? Most people work a 40 hour week...why should teachers not? Factory workers here work 48 hours a week and many do overtime.

Sent from my SM-A800S using Tapatalk
I work more than forty hours a week, and unlike previous years, I now do it all on the premises (except for marking) It is not split evenly throughout the week in a soul destroying (from the west, and for me) 9-5 rat race. Nor does it equate to one teaching hour for every hour taught. I am happy to discuss in more detail in person with people in further detail.
By the way TG...weak argument. I could list 100s of professions that aren't 40hr a week jobs
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by fax »

violet wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:45 am I could list 100s of professions that aren't 40hr a week jobs
Please do
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

Many private schools here work around the Khmer national curriculum which means they often only teach English in the mornings or only in the afternoons. FInd one of those schools if you're interested in working just a few hours a week.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

fax wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:52 am
violet wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:45 am I could list 100s of professions that aren't 40hr a week jobs
Please do
I could but I won't. Learn about the big wide world yourself. :)
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by fax »

violet wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:39 am I could but I won't. Learn about the big wide world yourself. :)
Could you though? 10 should be easy enough. You wouldn't make hasty generalizations, would you?
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

Question. A teacher wants to teach part-time 60 hours a month in Phnom Penh and cover the $1,500 it will cost him and his family to live. How much does the teacher need to earn per hour.

Answer. Is it

(A) $10
(B) $25
(C) 160 hours
(D) Not Possible
(E) Myanmar
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

fax wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:41 am
violet wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:39 am I could but I won't. Learn about the big wide world yourself. :)
Could you though? 10 should be easy enough. You wouldn't make hasty generalizations, would you?
I'm prone to exaggeration
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic