Reasonable price to charge as an electrician

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
elguapo
Tourist
Canada

Post by elguapo »

Back in Canada I worked as an electrician for almost 15 years and since Ive been here in Cambodia I've seen a number of people posting in expat groups on facebook looking for a western electrician to do various things for them. If I was going to offer my services what would you all suggest would be a reasonable price per hour to charge people?
What kind of rate would you guys be willing to pay in that situation? Is anyone here doing work like this or have you hired an expat electrician and you can tell me what you paid them?
jah steu
Expatriate
Australia

Post by jah steu »

elguapo wrote:Back in Canada I worked as an electrician for almost 15 years and since Ive been here in Cambodia I've seen a number of people posting in expat groups on facebook looking for a western electrician to do various things for them. If I was going to offer my services what would you all suggest would be a reasonable price per hour to charge people?
What kind of rate would you guys be willing to pay in that situation? Is anyone here doing work like this or have you hired an expat electrician and you can tell me what you paid them?
It partly depends on your own circumstances. If you need money urgently, quote fairly low rates and you will get a lot of work. If you have some funds already, quote higher and just take the good jobs. Do you want part-day jobs (eg installing some new power sockets and lights in a house) or do you want longer term work like a full re-wiring of a new business.
I’ve paid western electricians from $40-80 a day depending on the type of job. But some commercial companies may offer you work at much higher rates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sent from embedded sub-cutaneous iPhone 9 using Tapatalk.
ofparadise
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Reasonable price to charge as an electrician

Post by ofparadise »

i'd say get a good facebook page for your business and maybe brand yourself around the fact that you're an expat... if possible, get a small website done with your past jobs and rates and when that is done, buy some cheap ads on local websites... even on this site. Let the ad lead to your landing page on your site. I'd suggest creating a few variations on your landing pages depending on which site your leads are coming in from to maximise your roi and give them some continuity - ad to pitch to lead collection.

Rates wise, you can ask anything that your brand image supports. If you get the branding right, it's a beautiful niche here and I don't see why you can't dominate the market in your niche here.

All the best!
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

I doubt you will be able to get a work permit as an electrician...I may be wrong

But don't work without one...as the orange-selling Aussie found out
chkwoot
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by chkwoot »

Have you contacted these guys to find out what they charge: http://teams-cambodia.com ? You might even hit them up for a job.

I don't think you'll get a lot of positive response from the Facebook crowd, and I wouldn't start your own page or website, yet. Wait until you're established and can easily jump through all the government's hoops (business license, taxes, work permit, EOS, etc.). Try to stay under the radar at first.

Word of mouth is still the best way to find things here. Go around to all the expat "owned" businesses you can find, and offer free, or deeply discounted work. 99.9% will probably need some kind of electrical help. Ask what they pay now, and what they would be willing to pay for better service. Then ask them to tell their friends.

How long have you been living in Cambodia? Where? Are you working now? Doing what? What type of EOS do you have? Work permit?

Oh, and I'm assuming that you are actually good at what you do. If not, please forget everything I said.
I am sooooo very sorry if you can't understand or appreciate my sarcastic facetiousness.
Kampuchia Crumbs
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kampuchia Crumbs »

Isn't Canada electrical 110V like the US here. And Cambodia 220V? How much will you need to do to come up to speed on the differences? I know small thing but find little things like this interesting.
What, Me worry?
Dukes
Tourist
Cambodia

Post by Dukes »

I know a guy who has a renovation company(western style) if you send me your info via pm so maybe you can work together?
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

chkwoot wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:13 pm Have you contacted these guys to find out what they charge: http://teams-cambodia.com ? You might even hit them up for a job.

I don't think you'll get a lot of positive response from the Facebook crowd, and I wouldn't start your own page or website, yet. Wait until you're established and can easily jump through all the government's hoops (business license, taxes, work permit, EOS, etc.). Try to stay under the radar at first.

Word of mouth is still the best way to find things here. Go around to all the expat "owned" businesses you can find, and offer free, or deeply discounted work. 99.9% will probably need some kind of electrical help. Ask what they pay now, and what they would be willing to pay for better service. Then ask them to tell their friends.

How long have you been living in Cambodia? Where? Are you working now? Doing what? What type of EOS do you have? Work permit?

Oh, and I'm assuming that you are actually good at what you do. If not, please forget everything I said.

Teams are pretty good.

Here's my electrician in action today at Takhmau changing a power point. By the time she is ten years old she will be a expert.

Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Erina
Tourist
Japan

Post by Erina »

I have problem with my landlord, I think they doing scam on Electricity, they charging us as crazy, we just use 1 Ac, make hot water for coffee in the morning, washing and dryer, no cook, hot water for shower not really hot, no watching tv, refrige and they charging us for US 387$ for July, august 408$, can I go to EDC office to complaint?
Kayve
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kayve »

Erina wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:24 pm I have problem with my landlord, I think they doing scam on Electricity, they charging us as crazy, we just use 1 Ac, make hot water for coffee in the morning, washing and dryer, no cook, hot water for shower not really hot, no watching tv, refrige and they charging us for US 387$ for July, august 408$, can I go to EDC office to complaint?
Time to go somewhere else. You're paying more than company using a grade A office.
Don't forget the water buffalo
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic