Bicycle prices in Cambodia

This is where you can buy and sell anything you want in Cambodia! There is no 'Craigslist Cambodia,' so this is the next best thing. Most items for sale are in Phnom Penh, but this is a buy and sell section for the whole country. Many expats and tourists have new and used items to sell, so anyone can list them here. CEO has no part in these sales, so buyers and sellers need to get in contact with each other themselves. You're always welcome to list items you're giving away for free, as we encourage the community to give when they can. Amazon and eBay ship select items to Cambodia, but you save time and money when you do things locally.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Bicycle prices in Cambodia

Post by explorer »

I thought I would provide a quick summary for those wondering how much to pay for a bicycle.

Some people may come across a good deal on a bicycle for sale on one of the internet classifieds. You may or may not get lucky.

Some people may want to buy high end expensive bicycles. I am not discussing these here.

I am referring to adult bicycles. Children's bicycles are normally less expensive.

Prices are US dollars.

You may pay a bit less for a bicycle in a smaller town, than you will in PP or one of the larger tourist centers, as long as the town has several bicycle shops, which results in competition. They mainly sell to poor Cambodians, and shops may cost less to buy or lease.

Most places will start out asking high prices. If you have a good idea what it is worth, you can negotiate. If people are too ridiculous, just go to another shop. Compare a number of shops.

Recycled bicycles

There are people who collect bottles, cans, and anything else that can be recycled. These people also pick up old bicycles for scrap metal. The better bicycles get sold on to people who repair bicycles, and they get repaired. These are normally ladies bicycles, and sold for $25. They are normally repaired well, but I would not buy one as they do not normally have gears or lights. If anyone is looking for one of these, look for places which repair bicycles and also sell bicycles in small towns and villages. You normally need to speak the language.

Used Japanese ladies bikes

If I was buying a used Japanese ladies bike, I would only get one with gears, an alternator in the middle of th front wheel, and a LED headlight. Rear carriers and front baskets should come standard. A reasonable price for these in small towns is $50, and in PP $60.

Mountain bikes

Most people will be better off with a mountain bike. I am talking about a reasonable quality mountain bike, but not a high end expensive one. I would only buy a mountain bike with disk brakes and front suspension. I have seen a new, 26 inch, recognized brand, aluminum, mountain bike in a small town for $115. I have seen them asking near $200 for the same bike in PP. You would probably get it for well under $150 with a bit of negotiating, particularly if you go to a number of shops until you get a good price. I have seen a non-recognised brand in a small town for $95.

I have seen a couple of used 26 inch mountain bikes for $45 and $55. This is a really good price, and I may buy these for poor students. I need to ensure everything functions and they do not need repairs.

Fat bike

I like the fat bike.

general-chatter/best-off-road-bicycle-t21695.html

If you walked into Scott and said you will pay $395, you would probably get it.

I personally would not pay more than that for a bicycle, with the exception of a high end electric bike. I have not seen any of these in Cambodia.

Before buying a bicycle ensure everything functions properly, otherwise you may need to pay for repairs. Some Cambodians may be quite slack with assembly and repairs.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Advertisement
CamboQuick Cambodia Amazon Shipping
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Re: Bicycle prices in Cambodia

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

think im going to get a bicycle, for the short pathetic trips i do on my moto and for the odd bit of exercise, PP isnt the best for Cycling though i dont think
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

In my opinion, cycling is safer than walking, in places where you have to walk on the road. Some may disagree.

For exercise, you can go to quieter places.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

explorer wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:50 am In my opinion, cycling is safer than walking, in places where you have to walk on the road. Some may disagree.

For exercise, you can go to quieter places.
tbh its easier to jump out of the way of a car or moto, if im stood or walking, than if im riding a bicycle
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

I would not trust putting my 90 kg on a $150 bike....
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

On a bicycle you get there much quicker, so you are in risky places for a much shorter time.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

hanno wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:51 am I would not trust putting my 90 kg on a $150 bike....
I think most bicycles are officially rated at 100 kg.

If something does break, repairs are very cheap.

Better still, get a fat bike.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

explorer wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:55 am
hanno wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:51 am I would not trust putting my 90 kg on a $150 bike....
I think most bicycles are officially rated at 100 kg.

If something does break, repairs are very cheap.

Better still, get a fat bike.
If something breaks whilst I am hammering down a steep hill, cheap repairs would be my smallest problem.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

I have never had a bicycle failure which has resulted in an accident, in many thousands of km of cycling, including many steep downhill tracks.

If you cycle regularly you will probably lose weight.
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

Hanno doesn't have a high BMI index, he's super-fit

Cycling is probably the most dangerous method of transportation in Phnom Penh

Nobody respects you, very few see you until the last minute, nobody gives you right of way, you have no acceleration if you want to move quickly, and even less protection than a motorcycle. It will take ages for an ambulance to arrive, and then you may be carted off to some hatchet clinic that sponsors the ambulance, where the treatment may kill you.

Some would say that more pedestrians get hurt, but those are mostly Khmers who don't have any idea about traffic safety. Even with full medical coverage, I would never advise anybody to cycle regularly in the city or even on roads here with moderate traffic. There are no rules, assuming there are will kill you.

I've got a very nice mountain bike, but I would go to a gym or a quiet country path if i wanted to use it for exercise
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic