Cambodian schools and universities

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Cambodian schools and universities

Post by Kammekor »

explorer wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:18 am
Kammekor wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:09 am A few days ago I overheard a girl living close to my place and learning in a state school telling her mother all kids have to pay the teacher 800r per day so he will make 7,50 per day extra. So the answer is yes, corruption in education is still endemic.
Anyone asking this question, ask if the money is for public school, or extra classes. In many cases public school is free, and the students pay for extra classes. Of course the teachers perpetuate the need for extra classes by not teaching everything they need to know in public school.

There can also be variation in what happens from province to province, and village to village.
I think you're wrong, and it's the same all over Cambodia. There's no such thing as free education, at least not in reality. There's all kinds of ways the school will get money from the children.

- Parking money for bike / moto @ 500 r per time
- Compulsory food purchases at shop run by someone known by teacher
- Money to enter class
- Money for extra classes
- Money to be allowed in after the break
- Money for handed out copies
and I could continue.

The higher salaries have not changed that over the years, and future salary rises will not change that too because the whole system is corrupt, from the ministry to the provincial offices of education to the district offices of education to the school director to the teacher. And the money flows up.
tightenupvolume1
Expatriate
India

Post by tightenupvolume1 »

india, where if you have enough money you can pass any exam, if not you do this.

charlie
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

Loads of students from India , Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar, Thailand and China going to Australia now and the bar being lowered for English ability. Big money involved.

Sent from my SM-A800S using Tapatalk

Gilmore
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Gilmore »

Australia has been the destination of choice for our students in the last decade. They pay $15,000+ p.a. to complete their studies at a government school, more at a private school, and about $30,000 p.a. for tertiary Foundation and degree courses. It's a scam that was exposed in a Four Corners investigation, but, as yet, nothing has been done to rectify things, despite many promises.
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

Universities in Aus are being told to self fund by the oz government.
As such, tertiary education there is becoming buy a degree....

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

logos
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by logos »

Gilmore wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:36 am Australia has been the destination of choice for our students in the last decade. They pay $15,000+ p.a. to complete their studies at a government school, more at a private school, and about $30,000 p.a. for tertiary Foundation and degree courses. It's a scam that was exposed in a Four Corners investigation, but, as yet, nothing has been done to rectify things, despite many promises.
What's the application success rate and the ages of the students who travel? Is it easy for them to get the visa once they're enrolled? Do they all go to Melbourne or is it spread out in other states as well?
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

"Anyone asking this question, ask if the money is for public school, or extra classes. In many cases public school is free, and the students pay for extra classes. Of course the teachers perpetuate the need for extra classes by not teaching everything they need to know in public school.

The money from the extra tutorials or riean kua or hean kua (village dialect )is for the individual teacher, not the school. It is one of the ways they raise their salary to make a living wage. The curriculum is state mandated, but with upwards of 50-70 students in a class much material cannot be covered, at least in the primary and secondary levels in our village. It may seem underhanded on the surface, but the change that is called for lies in hiring more teachers for smaller classes and raising teacher salaries.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

"I think you're wrong, and it's the same all over Cambodia. There's no such thing as free education, at least not in reality. There's all kinds of ways the school will get money from the children.

- Parking money for bike / moto @ 500 r per time
- Compulsory food purchases at shop run by someone known by teacher
- Money to enter class
- Money for extra classes
- Money to be allowed in after the break
- Money for handed out copies
and I could continue."

I will discuss these points you raised, but first allow me to offer some biographical details that I hope will lend credence to my claims. First my wife and I have raised two children in a small village, both have
completed elementary and secondary school here. Furthermore my sister-in-law has been a primary school teacher for over twenty years. Now to your points.
No, it is NOT the same in all schools. For example in our village there are no parking fees(most rural families couldn't afford the extra expense.). Neither do they pay money to enter class nor similarly after the break.

No food purchases are compulsory. Usually female teachers or family members sell the food. Again this is a means to augment their salary. There is however a big downside to this. My sister-in-law gets up at 3am to cook the food. Add a full day at school plus family life and farmwork and little time is left for test writing or paper correction, especially if you are teaching sixty plus kids. And yes students do pay for handouts at a minimal markup. Should the teacher pay for them?

I wish to make it clear that indeed some points you raise may happen elsewhere in Cambodia, but I'm left with the impression your knowledge of education in rural Cambodia is extremely limited.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
Gilmore
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Gilmore »

To answer logos, success rate is 100%-money talks. Even hopeless failures make the top universities through the Foundation course scam-you pay your money and you're in. Age range is 14-18, depending on when they decide to move. A student visa is a formality, providing they pass the compulsory IELTS test requirement. All students completing Secondary go to Melbourne, because of the large Khmer community there. Most tertiary entrants also favour Melbourne, but ANU is also popular.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

This may be a reach, but here goes. In most East Asian countries, most kids go to cram school after regular school is finished. Cram school is strictly pay for play. The national exam has evolved so that the regular school can’t cover everything on the exam well enough to get the needed high scores needed in life.

The rich get the marks and get into the top schools. The poor don’t.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic