'No Cambodia left': how Chinese money is changing Sihanoukville

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

'No Cambodia left': how Chinese money is changing Sihanoukville

Post by phuketrichard »

Fake news or the end of SNV>>>as most of us knew it..
The once-sleepy beach town of Sihanoukville has been transformed by Chinese investment – and the sheer speed of development has divided locals
The speed of development has left many locals unnerved. Some estimate that the Chinese make up almost 20% of the town’s population. Of the total number of foreign arrivals in 2017, nearly 120,000 were Chinese – an increase of 126% year-on-year
https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2018 ... _Messenger

An illustration of plans for Kai Bo Plaza in Sihanoukville.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Re: 'No Cambodia left': how Chinese money is changing Sihanoukville

Post by Anchor Moy »

Why suggest it's fake news ? Or was that a joke ?
It's just one more article on what the Chinese have planned for Sihanoukville, with the full accord of the Cambodian government. I think there are enough CEO posts from people in Sihanoukville, photos, and articles in the press, to suggest that this is really happening. Sihanoukville, as we knew it, is no more. Fact.
After that come the discussions on whether this is a good thing for Cambodia... But, in the end, the deal is done now, so good, bad, or even catastrophic, there is massive change happening, and we have to suck up and deal.

Personally, I thought I would retire and live out my days in a sleepy little Cambodian coastal town. Well, I won't. Three choices now for me - move out permanently, move out for a few years and wait for the dust to settle, hang on for the ride and see what it brings. :?
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Meant it as a joke ,OBVIOUSLY
what with all the other reports how its gone

In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Artful Dodger
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Artful Dodger »

Anchor Moy wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:42 pm
Personally, I thought I would retire and live out my days in a sleepy little Cambodian coastal town.
Take a look at Vung Tau in Vietnam. Ex-pat population there is growing.
Water quenches the thirst, alcohol releases the truth.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Artful Dodger wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:26 am
Personally, I thought I would retire and live out my days in a sleepy little Cambodian coastal town.
Thanks, but don't think this is for me - theme parks and skyscrapers.
From wiki Vung Tau.
Resorts and theme parks

A big resort project has just been licensed by the Vietnamese government, the Saigon Atlantis. Upon completion, this entertainment project worth US$300 million in capital investment will include resorts, shopping, sailing.[10] The investor of this project is proposing to raise the investment capital to USD $4 billion. Two other noteworthy entertainment projects awaiting licensing are Vũng Tàu Aquarium, which will cost USD 250 million, and Bàu Trũng, a Disneyland-like entertainment park which will cost US$250 million. The project includes Landmark Tower, an 88-story skyscraper proposed to be built and completed by 2010 in Vũng Tàu by a USA-based company, Good Choice Import – Export Investment Inc, once built will likely be the highest building in Vietnam. The project is under consideration for approval by the local provincial government.[11][12]
Maybe I will have to find a sleepy little Cambodian town inland somewhere. But most are a bit too sleepy tbh. Somewhere with a bit of life, but no skyscrapers, and no traffic jams. I'm not difficult. (Much.) :roll:
Artful Dodger
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Artful Dodger »

Of the Vietnam coastal towns, I particularly like Quy Nhon, but it lacks easy access to an airport.

https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Tourism- ... tions.html

http://www.vietnam-guide.com/quy-nhon/

https://www.google.com.au/destination?q ... OC0wOC0yMA
Water quenches the thirst, alcohol releases the truth.
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

Anchor Moy wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:03 am
Artful Dodger wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:26 am
Thanks, but don't think this is for me - theme parks and skyscrapers.
From wiki Vung Tau.
Resorts and theme parks

A big resort project has just been licensed by the Vietnamese government, the Saigon Atlantis. Upon completion, this entertainment project worth US$300 million in capital investment will include resorts, shopping, sailing.[10] The investor of this project is proposing to raise the investment capital to USD $4 billion. Two other noteworthy entertainment projects awaiting licensing are Vũng Tàu Aquarium, which will cost USD 250 million, and Bàu Trũng, a Disneyland-like entertainment park which will cost US$250 million. The project includes Landmark Tower, an 88-story skyscraper proposed to be built and completed by 2010 in Vũng Tàu by a USA-based company, Good Choice Import – Export Investment Inc, once built will likely be the highest building in Vietnam. The project is under consideration for approval by the local provincial government.[11][12]
Maybe I will have to find a sleepy little Cambodian town inland somewhere. But most are a bit too sleepy tbh. Somewhere with a bit of life, but no skyscrapers, and no traffic jams. I'm not difficult. (Much.) :roll:
My next door neighbour, the Khmer with the Australian accent, was talking about opening a Western bar here in Kleang Ler. On the drive out to PP I saw they've cleared nearly all the hillsides of trees all the way down to Ream, so it should be quite central here in a couple of years. Or six months.
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Post by bolueeleh »

5 yrs ago i told ppl that chinkville will be bigger than SR, nobody believed me, i juz didnt expect it to be so quick
Money is not the problem, the problem is no money
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Post by bolueeleh »

use a scalpel or a bludgeon, its up to u, make money of the chinks quick n fast, coz they wont let u make money off them for long.
Money is not the problem, the problem is no money
bangkokhooker
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by bangkokhooker »

bolueeleh wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:26 pm use a scalpel or a bludgeon, its up to u, make money of the chinks quick n fast, coz they wont let u make money off them for long.
unless youre a greedy land owner
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic