Khmerican with Diabetes Needs GoFundMe Donations to Stay Alive in Battambang, Cambodia

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Re: Khmerican with Diabetes Needs GoFundMe Donations to Stay Alive in Battambang, Cambodia

Post by StroppyChops »

fax wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:45 am According to the American Diabetes Association diabetes isn’t caused by diet, see myth 1 and 2. Any expert here who knows better? http://www.diabetes.org/diabetes-basics/myths/
That's a Stirling bit of adversarialism there. "Anyone gonna disagree with the fkn ADA, bitches?" I stated previously in this thread that T2D is caused by genetics - but sure, if you want to be the only one at the top of the right pole, go for it.

On conspiracy theories, the sponsor of Diabetes Australia is the manufacturer of aspartame, which is the worst product in the world for diabetics. Both the sponsorship and the dangers of artificial sweeteners have been demonstrated publicly for years. I would not be surprised to hear the ADA is similarly funded. After all, diabetes is big Pharma - the last thing in the world they'd want to do is cure T2D.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Re: Khmerican with Diabetes Needs GoFundMe Donations to Stay Alive in Battambang, Cambodia

Post by StroppyChops »

Heng Heng Heng wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:33 am
StroppyChops wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:29 am
Heng Heng Heng wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:40 pm It's really common here. A father of a Khmer friend has it. He can't eat rice. OMG.
I've never heard of T1D or T2Ds not being able to eat rice. Maybe he just doesn't like it, so he's, you know, a vegetarian celiac atheist who does, like, yoga and stuff.
Nothing fancy like that. Retired Cambodia police. He was told by his (Cambodian) doctor to stop eating rice due it elevating his blood sugar condition.
His (Cambodian) doctor is simply wrong. Rice is such a non-food that replacing it with any other carbohydrates is stupid. I'd be looking at what else he's eating with the rice (salty foods, many beers) before blaming the rice.
bangkokhooker
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by bangkokhooker »

StroppyChops wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:47 pm
fax wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:45 am According to the American Diabetes Association diabetes isn’t caused by diet, see myth 1 and 2. Any expert here who knows better? http://www.diabetes.org/diabetes-basics/myths/
That's a Stirling bit of adversarialism there. "Anyone gonna disagree with the fkn ADA, bitches?" I stated previously in this thread that T2D is caused by genetics - but sure, if you want to be the only one at the top of the right pole, go for it.

On conspiracy theories, the sponsor of Diabetes Australia is the manufacturer of aspartame, which is the worst product in the world for diabetics. Both the sponsorship and the dangers of artificial sweeteners have been demonstrated publicly for years. I would not be surprised to hear the ADA is similarly funded. After all, diabetes is big Pharma - the last thing in the world they'd want to do is cure T2D.
according to many studies its not and allows people to eat food that tastes sweet

i guess u can just say that those thousands of credible sources have a financial interest or/and are wrong but i would take advice from well known sources online than some bloke on the internet
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by fax »

Don’t give up that easy! You can still smash me by saying that just because diet doesn’t cause diabetes it’s still one of the most important things to keep in check.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

bangkokhooker wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:57 pm

according to many studies its not and allows people to eat food that tastes sweet

i guess u can just say that those thousands of credible sources have a financial interest or/and are wrong but i would take advice from well known sources online than some bloke on the internet
Fair call, you're obviously an intelligent poster and not just some bloke on the internet as you cited many of those thousands of credible sources.

BTW a lot of the original research on artificial sweeteners was released by the manufacturers of artificial sweeteners and their downstream resellers, without declaration of bias, and later challenged.

This, from the Global Diabetes Community, dated September last year, my emphases added:
Yet there are several points of potential danger that the authors of the current research are still concerned about.

Although the data has been controversial and inconsistent, aspartame may modulate brain neurotransmitters such as dopamine and serotonin, and be neurotoxic because of one of its byproducts (phenylalanine) crossing the blood-brain barrier fairly easily.

Researchers also suggest that, when consumed in quantities higher than the ADI or within safe levels, aspartame can increase oxidative stress and inflammation in many different cell types and tissues.

These "pro-inflammatory" effects and associated damage were observed in blood cells, liver cells, the kidneys, the heart and the brain, although the strength of evidence varies and proof of this comes mostly from experiments in rats.

Furthermore, when aspartame gets metabolised by enzymes in our gut, resulting microbiota alterations have been linked to elevated fasting blood sugars and impaired glucose tolerance. This was again more evident in mice.

Overall, these results call for further investigation in humans as they suggest that aspartame, even at recommended safe dosages, might not be safe when consumed over time.
For those not familiar with medical review literature wording, "might not be safe" is about the equivalent of the Khmer "maybe you should not."
GTC7
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by GTC7 »

I don't know much about Diabetes research, but I do know that in my parents time...

Fats were demonized while sugars were okay. Not even a RDA % on sugar, but on every other nutrition factor it is.

Fen-phen was a diet drug that caused heart problems.

Flouride water was sold to prevent cavities in children, but caused all kinds of permanently damaged (me especially) and more cavity prone brittle teeth.

Tylenol was considered the go to drug during pregnancy.

Diet sodas were all the rage because of "zero calories".

...and that's just a small list of so many other things that science and experts have unanimously gotten wrong that I don't have a whole lot of regard for so called "medical experts".
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Someone said on the FB page that the guy has been diagnosed with stomach cancer. (As well as diabetes.)
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Anchor Moy wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:29 am Someone said on the FB page that the guy has been diagnosed with stomach cancer. (As well as diabetes.)
That truly sucks.

Not to be skeptical, how much later was this added? Given the dramatics of the GFM post, you'd have thought it would have been in the original storyline.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

StroppyChops wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:36 am
Anchor Moy wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:29 am Someone said on the FB page that the guy has been diagnosed with stomach cancer. (As well as diabetes.)
That truly sucks.

Not to be skeptical, how much later was this added? Given the dramatics of the GFM post, you'd have thought it would have been in the original storyline.
Latest update on the Go FundMe page. Posted yesterday I think.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Anchor Moy wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:30 pm
StroppyChops wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:36 am
That truly sucks.

Latest update on the Go FundMe page. Posted yesterday I think.
I wish him all the best.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic