Royal Phnom Penh Hospital

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Bubble T
Expatriate
Cambodia

Royal Phnom Penh Hospital

Post by Bubble T »

Had a bit of a nightmare at Royal PP Hospital yesterday. We've been going there for pregnancy scans and were planning to have the baby there, now we need to find somewhere else instead. Any suggestions would be very welcome.

In terms of what happened, the nurse in the reception area of the maternity bit was just being flat out rude and unprofessional. It started out with her openly discussing another patient (who was going through a horrific late term miscarriage that my wife totally didn't need to hear about) with another nurse in front of us. After the scan and talk with our doctor we were in the waiting area again, but weren't sure what we were waiting for. My wife went to the lady with the intention of simply asking whether we needed to do anything else, or if we could just pay and leave. She got as far as saying "Bong" before the nurse cut her off and started blurting out information about the question she assumed my wife wanted to ask (but got it wrong). My wife tried to interrupt her a couple of times to get her to shut up long enough to ask the question, but the nurse simply wouldn't let her speak. Eventually I butted in and told her she needs to be able to listen to a question in order to answer it, and she got pissed off so we decided to leave in order to prevent the whole situation from becoming confrontational.

Aside from being pissed off about the situation, it's also important that we go somewhere where we won't be made to feel like assholes just for asking a basic question (like whether our appointment is finished or if there's still stuff left to do). This evidently means finding somewhere else. As I said, recommendations would be welcome, thanks.

I would like to be clear that the doctor we had (Dr Mu Mu) was awesome and we really liked her, but that isn't enough for us to go back there.
epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Royal Phnom Penh Hospital

Post by epidemiks »

We had a very good ante natal and delivery experience with Khema on 294.
Dr. Chhit Maryan did obstetrics and delivery, and Dr. Mey Puthi the post birth paediatrics.
Nursing staff were always very helpful and really conscientious during the couple of days we spent there, and everyone was willing to listen and answer any questions we had.
Bubble T
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Bubble T »

epidemiks wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:18 pm We had a very good ante natal and delivery experience with Khema on 294.
Dr. Chhit Maryan did obstetrics and delivery, and Dr. Mey Puthi the post birth paediatrics.
Nursing staff were always very helpful and really conscientious during the couple of days we spent there, and everyone was willing to listen and answer any questions we had.
Thank you very much, I'll give them a look.
jmagic
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by jmagic »

Chetra Polyclinic & Julie Maturnity (one place) in Tuol Kork is also good.
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

Central Hospital is good, Dr Meth Pheng is the "Gyneco-Obst" there and trained in France. I have used this hospital since it opened and the staff at all levels have been polite and professional. http://www.central-hospital.com/ch/
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Post by Cam Nivag »

Cambodians have no concept of personal privacy and a nurse loudly discussing another patient in your presence doesn't surprise me at all. That's part of living in Cambodia.

I am surprised that you would change from what you have chosen as the best doctor and best hospital, to a presumably inferior hospital with an unknown, inferior doctor, in the hope that 100% of the administrative desk staff will be nice 100% of the time at the new place you choose. The desk staff doesn't make decisions about the health of your wife or baby, that's the doctor and operating room/delivery team.

I understand you and your wife's feelings may be hurt about what recently happened but I don't see the logic behind this decision.

I never heard of anyone saying "I had a great lawyer, I had total confidence in him and his staff to win an important case, but his receptionist was curt with me and put me on hold too long when I called, so I fired him and changed to a new lawyer in the middle of the case." I mean, I'm sure it has happened, but I've never heard of it.

Don't let your emotions and ego get the better of you here.
lostjeremy
Expatriate

Post by lostjeremy »

We used Sanine Clinic in the Olympic area and were happy.

Sent from my CPH1605 using Tapatalk

that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

Cam Nivag wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:51 pm Cambodians have no concept of personal privacy and a nurse loudly discussing another patient in your presence doesn't surprise me at all. That's part of living in Cambodia.
I went to see a doctor in Thailand for persistent diarrhoea, and there was just a swing-door (like the saloon type) between the waiting room and the doctor. So the doctor just casually tells this barang he has gonorrhea and the other barang and I in the waiting room, we're all looking at each other, like wtf?

It's not just Cambodia.
Bubble T
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Bubble T »

Cam Nivag wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:51 pm Cambodians have no concept of personal privacy and a nurse loudly discussing another patient in your presence doesn't surprise me at all. That's part of living in Cambodia.

I am surprised that you would change from what you have chosen as the best doctor and best hospital, to a presumably inferior hospital with an unknown, inferior doctor, in the hope that 100% of the administrative desk staff will be nice 100% of the time at the new place you choose. The desk staff doesn't make decisions about the health of your wife or baby, that's the doctor and operating room/delivery team.

I understand you and your wife's feelings may be hurt about what recently happened but I don't see the logic behind this decision.

I never heard of anyone saying "I had a great lawyer, I had total confidence in him and his staff to win an important case, but his receptionist was curt with me and put me on hold too long when I called, so I fired him and changed to a new lawyer in the middle of the case." I mean, I'm sure it has happened, but I've never heard of it.

Don't let your emotions and ego get the better of you here.
This is a pretty idiotic post in pretty much every way. Lets break it down to address it piece by piece:
Cambodians have no concept of personal privacy and a nurse loudly discussing another patient in your presence doesn't surprise me at all. That's part of living in Cambodia.
Most nurses in reputable hospitals here wouldn't stand infront of your 18 week pregnant wife during your appointment with your doctor and start trying to have a conversation about a lady having a horrific miscarriage the night before. The doctor was clearly mortified and had to tell the nurse to shut up multiple times before she actually did. Don't try to tell me that's "part of living in Cambodia", I've been here for half my life, speak the language fluently, and have a good grasp of what can be reasonably expected of people.
I am surprised that you would change from what you have chosen as the best doctor and best hospital, to a presumably inferior hospital with an unknown, inferior doctor
I'm looking for a better hospital, that's the point of this thread. The doctor seemed good and nice but I'm sure other hospitals have good and nice doctors too.
in the hope that 100% of the administrative desk staff will be nice 100% of the time at the new place you choose. The desk staff doesn't make decisions about the health of your wife or baby, that's the doctor and operating room/delivery team.
As I said in my OP, the person in question is a nurse, not an admin desk staff. I don't expect all nurses to be nice 100% of the time, but I do expect them to be willing to answer simple questions without reducing my (usually very calm) wife to tears. It's also paramount that we feel able to ask whatever questions we have, and this situation means we don't.
I understand you and your wife's feelings may be hurt about what recently happened but I don't see the logic behind this decision
You're welcome to take your wife to a hospital where she isn't allowed to ask any questions and where the staff openly talk about other patients having horrific miscarriages in front of her while she's pregnant. Don't expect anyone to understand your logic if you choose to do so.
I never heard of anyone saying "I had a great lawyer, I had total confidence in him and his staff to win an important case, but his receptionist was curt with me and put me on hold too long when I called, so I fired him and changed to a new lawyer in the middle of the case."
There are countless cases where people change law firms due to negligence or malpractice of the law firm, even if it doesn't stem from the lawyer they are primarily dealing with. If a lawyer or their staff started telling me confidential information about another one of their clients I'd find a new lawyer immediately, as would anyone with a modicum of common sense.

Think before you post.
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

I'm with BubbleT.

gavinmac, your frustrated lust for photographing half-naked barangs on the riverside is taking its toll.

Take up a hobby, maybe puns?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic