Royal Phnom Penh Hospital

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Re: Royal Phnom Penh Hospital

Post by Cam Nivag »

You said in your initial post that your doctor at the hospital was “awesome” and you both “really liked her.”

When I point out that it’s not sensible to change from an awesome doctor because a reception staff member was stupid or rude, now you’re changing the story to say your doctor merely “seemed” to be “good” and “nice.”

Now let’s get to the “bit of a nightmare” you claimed to experience. A sensitive, intelligent reception nurse shouldn’t talk about miscarriages in front of a pregnant lady, I agree. However, a reasonable pregnant lady should realize that miscarriages do happen and this talk doesn’t increase the chances that a miscarriage will happen to her.

If the nurse had spoken out of school about another patient having a wonderful outcome, would that be a reason to change doctors due to the privacy violation? The doctor properly told the idiot to shut up. She may have counseled her later not to be stupid in front of patients.

Dumping one of the scarce “awesome” doctors and hospitals in Cambodia because a single Cambodian staff member was stupid or unprofessional seems rather petty and shortsighted to me.

What’s next? Change from an awesome Cambodian bank because you saw an unprofessional security guard sleeping outside? Stop flying a safe and awesome Cambodian airline because a flight attendant was bitchy to your wife when telling her to turn off her phone? Change from an awesome Cambodian hotel or serviced apartment because the maid ignored the do not disturb sign and walked in on you beating off? (Note: this has never happened to me, but only because I religiously use the deadbolt).

You’ve been in Cambodia a long time but you’re not acting like it here. You’re acting like a newbie who freaks out when low level Cambodian staff behave mildly stupidly and then runs to the internet to call such routine bad service a “nightmare.”

For the love of God, get over this and stick with the awesome doctor you both really like at the fancy hospital with all the shiny machines.
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

Bubble T wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:55 am Had a bit of a nightmare at Royal PP Hospital yesterday. We've been going there for pregnancy scans and were planning to have the baby there, now we need to find somewhere else instead. Any suggestions would be very welcome.

In terms of what happened, the nurse in the reception area of the maternity bit was just being flat out rude and unprofessional.
I'm not one fo trusting facebook comments, however it seems like you're not the only one having a problem with the nurses there. Two comments below from the facebook page
https://www.facebook.com/Royalphnompenh ... lOfficial/

Ly Linda
May 1, 2018
2 of the nurses at gynecology clinic were very rude. Their attitude was bad and showing that my only 2 questions were annoying them. They should have worn a tag that “no questions are allowed”. That’s such a bad attitude I’ve never seen at private hospitals. I don’t know why I should spent the most for the cheapest service like that.

Ele Pola
· December 8, 2017
The services is very low. Most of the staffs, both man n woman n even thai nurses are very poor communication, low pedagogy. How could u charge us very expensive while ur services is too low ?? The building is standard, the payment is standard but the services is too low ���.
Bubble T
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Bubble T »

Cam Nivag wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:28 pm You said in your initial post that your doctor at the hospital was “awesome” and you both “really liked her.”

When I point out that it’s not sensible to change from an awesome doctor because a reception staff member was stupid or rude, now you’re changing the story to say your doctor merely “seemed” to be “good” and “nice.”
She seemed awesome, there is no change in story. Not being a doctor myself, I use the word "seemed" because I have no idea if she's actually any good, but she certainly seemed to be and I have no reason to think she isn't.
Now let’s get to the “bit of a nightmare” you claimed to experience. A sensitive, intelligent reception nurse shouldn’t talk about miscarriages in front of a pregnant lady, I agree. However, a reasonable pregnant lady should realize that miscarriages do happen and this talk doesn’t increase the chances that a miscarriage will happen to her.
We aren't talking about a receptionist, I can only assume that you are ignoring the multiple references I made to her being a nurse and instead have chosen to focus on the fact that this happened in a reception area of the OGBYN department. Kind of weird.
If the nurse had spoken out of school about another patient having a wonderful outcome, would that be a reason to change doctors due to the privacy violation? The doctor properly told the idiot to shut up. She may have counseled her later not to be stupid in front of patients.
The scenario you described would give me less reason to question her judgement as a person, but would have been equally unprofessional.
Dumping one of the scarce “awesome” doctors and hospitals in Cambodia because a single Cambodian staff member was stupid or unprofessional seems rather petty and shortsighted to me.
Well, we all know you don't have a wife, that may be part of why you're having a hard time understanding what you're suggesting. Forcing my wife to go to a hospital where the staff don't allow us to ask simple questions, when she's already said she isn't comfortable with it anymore would be tantamount to abuse. I'm not doing it. We will find somewhere that we are happy with, and I don't think it will be hard (as evidenced by all the recommendations in this thread from people who have experience with this, which you don't). Petty and short sighted? Jfc.
What’s next? Change from an awesome Cambodian bank because you saw an unprofessional security guard sleeping outside? Stop flying a safe and awesome Cambodian airline because a flight attendant was bitchy to your wife when telling her to turn off her phone? Change from an awesome Cambodian hotel or serviced apartment because the maid ignored the do not disturb sign and walked in on you beating off? (Note: this has never happened to me, but only because I religiously use the deadbolt).

You’ve been in Cambodia a long time but you’re not acting like it here. You’re acting like a newbie who freaks out when low level Cambodian staff behave mildly stupidly and then runs to the internet to call such routine bad service a “nightmare.”
I have no idea what any of that is supposed to mean, or how it relates to this thread. I went to a hospital, encountered a rude, unprofessional nurse who reduced my wife to tears and wouldn't let her ask a simple question, and made her feel like she doesn't want to go back there. My response is to find another hospital. I don't see what you find so problematic or illogical about that.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Bubble T wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:09 pm
Cam Nivag wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:28 pm You said in your initial post that your doctor at the hospital was “awesome” and you both “really liked her.”

She seemed awesome, there is no change in story. Not being a doctor myself, I use the word "seemed" because I have no idea if she's actually any good, but she certainly seemed to be and I have no reason to think she isn't.
My former GP recommended Mu Mu to me, and told me she's the best Gyn in Cambodia. My former GP has been around for a long time, and had loads of useful info and when I experienced Mu Mu once she seemed as good as a Gyn back home.

OP, she might well be the best Gyn around town, so if you expect trouble with the pregnancy you might want to stick with her. If everything is 'normal' any other Gyn is probably just as good.
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

My monies on Gavin.
It's his profession is to deconstruct language and do magic with it to win.

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

kiwiincambodia
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by kiwiincambodia »

I had my 2nd kid here...

Sophea Hospital
St 141, Phnom Penh
021 472 3427
https://goo.gl/maps/4ZUSeRioHS72

Service was good and doctors and nurses were really great and kept the (ex) Mrs very calm and happy during the birth.

I was a little skeptical as it’s not really up to western standards (in my eyes) but overall they did a great job and delivered a health happy baby and did a great job at the after care as well.

that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

When one visits a doctor, one wants sensitivity, politeness, and confidentiality. They even have an oath about that. Why? Can you guess?

Deconstructing language and doing magic with it is for trolls.
Bubble T
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Bubble T »

Kammekor wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:35 pm OP, she might well be the best Gyn around town, so if you expect trouble with the pregnancy you might want to stick with her. If everything is 'normal' any other Gyn is probably just as good.
We're 18 weeks in, we've done all the initial testing they offered (of which there was quite a lot) and everything has come back fine so far. I read the facebook page after seeing the couple of comments that were quoted here and we're certainly far from being the first people to have experienced this issue. If I found out that Dr Mu Mu was going to work at a different hospital, we'd go with her in an instant. That being said, I don't believe she is irreplaceable at 18 weeks into what according to all indications is a healthy and normal pregnancy.
Barang chgout wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:39 pm My monies on Gavin.
It's his profession is to deconstruct language and do magic with it to win.
This isn't about deconstructing language or "winning" anything, it's just about finding a good hospital to have a child in, which is something he has no experience with. His presence in this thread is redundant at best.
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

Bubble T wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:06 pmThis isn't about deconstructing language or "winning" anything, it's just about finding a good hospital to have a child in, which is something he has no experience with. His presence in this thread is redundant at best.
Yup, so far we don't even know if he ever actually got laid, let alone had a real relationship or fathered a kid of his own.

Not sure a virgin/ suspected blank-shooter or riverside voyeur/gay photographer qualifies to post on a maternity thread. :lol:
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

Kammekor wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:35 pm
My former GP recommended Mu Mu to me, and told me she's the best Gyn in Cambodia. My former GP has been around for a long time, and had loads of useful info and when I experienced Mu Mu once she seemed as good as a Gyn back home.

OP, she might well be the best Gyn around town, so if you expect trouble with the pregnancy you might want to stick with her. If everything is 'normal' any other Gyn is probably just as good.
Me giving advice on childbirth is like Steven Hawkins telling you how to run a quarter mile. That said, I also don't think I'd let the actions of one yappy nurse be the sole reason I walked away from who several people seem to be labelling the best doctor for giving birth. Was that lady unprofessional? Sure. Outright rude? Sounds like it. But MAYBE it was just a bad day, or she could have been a bit upset about what she was discussing. Besides, you've already called her out, so hopefully she'll be on her best behavior in the future.

And I can only imagine it's a super stressful ordeal for you and the wife to begin with, so I think I'd be more surprised if one of you hadn't been pushed to tears in a Cambodian hospital, lol.

So maybe a good idea to get some more leads, but I definitely wouldn't be afraid of losing Asian 'face' if you end up walking back in there after storming out. The decision shouldn't be mainly based on how well you get along with one crazy nurse, but most importantly which doctor will make the best decisions and have the best facilities IF difficulties do arise, god forbid.

Hell, if no difficulties arise, these things can be done at home, so I assumed the main point of finding a place to give birth is really just to have good doctors and facilities right there in case things do get complicated.

Ok, I've hit my quota of 'parenting advice' for the year.

Best of luck with whichever hospital/doctor you decide on!
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic