Best way to learn about Khmer culture?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
khmerhamster
Expatriate
Turkmenistan

Re: Best way to learn about Khmer culture?

Post by khmerhamster »

phuketrichard wrote:
Jamie_Lambo wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:13 pm
phuketrichard wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:46 pm
taabarang wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:38 pm If you want to understand Cambodia through foreign experience your list will suffice If you want to see it through their eyes you must

1) come here
2) learn the language

Otherwise get interested in a country you can afford
why do u think its necessary to learn the language to understand the culture??

I feel i have a very good grasp of Cambodian culture and speak less than 10 words
same goes for Myanmar and Laos
but you have a Cambodian wife...
LOL
yea, but i know alot more about Cambodian culture than she does,
of course thru her, i know village life :beer3:

PS: anyone that lives in PP,whats with all the Indian restaurants on riverside now??
Of course you do.
You know more about Khmer culture than a Khmer person.
Yes, I believe learning language gives unique insights into culture that you just wouldn’t get otherwise.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

khmerhamster wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:03 pm
phuketrichard wrote:
Jamie_Lambo wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:13 pm
phuketrichard wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:46 pm
taabarang wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:38 pm If you want to understand Cambodia through foreign experience your list will suffice If you want to see it through their eyes you must

1) come here
2) learn the language

Otherwise get interested in a country you can afford
why do u think its necessary to learn the language to understand the culture??

I feel i have a very good grasp of Cambodian culture and speak less than 10 words
same goes for Myanmar and Laos
but you have a Cambodian wife...
LOL
yea, but i know alot more about Cambodian culture than she does,
of course thru her, i know village life :beer3:

PS: anyone that lives in PP,whats with all the Indian restaurants on riverside now??
Of course you do.
You know more about Khmer culture than a Khmer person.
Yes, I believe learning language gives unique insights into culture that you just wouldn’t get otherwise.
OP your 10 word horizon needs broadening. Plus my condolences to your wife and my respect for her patience.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
Steven
Expatriate
France

Post by Steven »

little--chickens wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:04 am Can anyone recommend any books, movies, pamphlets, anything really to get a good and accurate idea of what contemporary Khmer culture is like?
I guess it depends what you call culture.

If you want a general idea of khmer way of thinking based on history, legends, books, tv.... and there is a khmer diaspora in your country you could learn the language (motivation needed, it is tough) there, you will probably meet second/third generation khmer learning the language too and be able to interact with them, plus after you are more comfortable with the language you can use khmer media and books to understand the culture better.

For anything deeper you will probably need to go there.
little--chickens
Tourist
United States of America

Post by little--chickens »

Haha. I am actually learning Khmer! I heard the language randomly last year and it was very beautiful to me. I studied it for about 4 months, took a break, and now I'm back learning it. I love Sinn Sisamouth, read a lot about the political situation there.

I thought this would be a good place to start. I watch some expat videos on Youtube. There's a lot of TV series on Youtube too, but my Khmer isn't strong enough yet to understand them. If meeting people online is feasible, I'd be interested in that, but I don't want to be weird and friend random Khmer people on FB.

"Country I can afford"== I just can't afford to leave my home country right now because of work, family, etc. I'd love to come to Cambodia some day.

P.S. I am a woman... not some weird orientalist white dude
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

not some weird orientalist white dude
thank god for that!
got some black ones too!
have enough of those already!
:beer1:
I thought this would be a good place to start
you are most welcome here, we have too few females mostly due to unkind responses by crusty posters.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Have a look at threads on here. Pick and choose what interests you.
cambodian-culture-and-language/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

"you are most welcome here, we have too few females mostly due to unkind responses by crusty posters."

Guilty as charged by a court no less "crusty"/than the accused.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

little--chickens wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:40 am Haha. I am actually learning Khmer! I heard the language randomly last year and it was very beautiful to me. I studied it for about 4 months, took a break, and now I'm back learning it. I love Sinn Sisamouth, read a lot about the political situation there.

I thought this would be a good place to start. I watch some expat videos on Youtube. There's a lot of TV series on Youtube too, but my Khmer isn't strong enough yet to understand them. If meeting people online is feasible, I'd be interested in that, but I don't want to be weird and friend random Khmer people on FB.

"Country I can afford"== I just can't afford to leave my home country right now because of work, family, etc. I'd love to come to Cambodia some day.

P.S. I am a woman... not some weird orientalist white dude
need any help with the language you can PM me any questions or feel free to start your own thread in the Language & Culture thread :thumb:
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic