Can anyone offer advice to a tourist wanting to rent a moto in PP?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Captain Bonez
Baked
Nigeria

Re: Can anyone offer advice to a tourist wanting to rent a moto in PP?

Post by Captain Bonez »

Rental company will keep your passport or you can leave a deposit of probably about $600 - $700 if you don't want to leave the passport. Cops will only usually stop you mainly if you're not wearing a helmet, driving the wrong way, or jump a red light. Obey the basic traffic rules and you should be ok. Don't drink and drive, tuktuks are so cheap it's not worth it in the slightest.
If you enjoy noise pollution and obnoxious driving practices, Phnom Penh is the place for you!

This.
epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Post by epidemiks »

If your insurer needs you to have a licence at home, be prepared that they won't cover you when you have an accident.

Here's a current example:
A retired police officer left in a coma after he was struck off his motorbike and left for dead was trapped in Thailand for weeks as his insurer mulled over if it should pay for his evacuation.

Les Ford’s adult children Emma, 28, and James, 25, have emptied their bank accounts and done all they can to pull together $115,000 to pay to evacuate Les back to Melbourne’s Alfred Hospital on Tuesday.

The pair also relied on family, friends, and the community to help fork out thousands of dollars every day to keep their dad in a Bangkok hospital, with the final hospital bill costing $72,953.
https://www.9news.com.au/national/2018/ ... Social-ACA

Most insurers also require that if you're a passenger, the driver has a licence.

A friend fought, and eventually won her cover when she was pulled off the back of a motodop in a robbery. The insurer wanted the licence details of the driver, who obviously didn't have one (this was back when licences were required for <125cc). Basically, if there's a way they can get out of paying some or all of a claim, they will.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

epidemiks wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:45 pm Basically, if there's a way they can get out of paying some or all of a claim, they will.
Baastards...one of the reasons I still got a moto licence regardless even tho I ride <125.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

mudmax wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:46 am I was in cambodia a few months ago and rented a motor bike in Sihanoukville and Kampot and that was fine. I kind of want to rent one in PP when I'll be in town next month but do have some concerns.

I recently saw a thread about police stopping some chinese people and confiscating their vehicles bc they don't have the required license. I do not have an international or cambodian license. So I was wondering what the expats here think about this. And do you have any companies you would recommend for a rental? and should I be worried about it getting stolen if it is parked outside at night?
the chinese are usually driving cars without a valid car license thats why their vehicles get confiscated
if youre riding a bike in PP without a helmet the police may confiscate your bike so always have one
if youre not breaking any traffic laws the police will rarely bother you, PP is not as bad as the police in SHV
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
BangkokStick
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by BangkokStick »

Jamie_Lambo wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:34 pm
mudmax wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:46 am I was in cambodia a few months ago and rented a motor bike in Sihanoukville and Kampot and that was fine. I kind of want to rent one in PP when I'll be in town next month but do have some concerns.

I recently saw a thread about police stopping some chinese people and confiscating their vehicles bc they don't have the required license. I do not have an international or cambodian license. So I was wondering what the expats here think about this. And do you have any companies you would recommend for a rental? and should I be worried about it getting stolen if it is parked outside at night?
the chinese are usually driving cars without a valid car license thats why their vehicles get confiscated
if youre riding a bike in PP without a helmet the police may confiscate your bike so always have one
if youre not breaking any traffic laws the police will rarely bother you, PP is not as bad as the police in SHV

Sorry, but is it really the law everywhere in Cambodia that police can confiscate your bike or car, or is it just that they do what they want ?

They could try to do it if driving a Thai car or bike without Khmer license ? And then how much to pay if they confiscate any vehicle ?

Even if it's the official law in Cambodia, they do it only at Sihanoukville ?

Thanks.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

BangkokStick wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:40 pm
Jamie_Lambo wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:34 pm

Sorry, but is it really the law everywhere in Cambodia that police can confiscate your bike or car, or is it just that they do what they want ?

They could try to do it if driving a Thai car or bike without Khmer license ? And then how much to pay if they confiscate any vehicle ?

Even if it's the official law in Cambodia, they do it only at Sihanoukville ?

Thanks.
they confiscate it if you are driving without a helmet and if you dont have a helmet to carry on driving, so they confiscate it and you have to go collect it from the police station, if the law is you must ride with a helmet on, and they pull you over for not wearing a helmet, but then let you carry on riding without a helmet whats the point in having the law :)
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

I suggest you obey the law.

It is against the law of your own country to hand over your passport when you hire a motorbike.

You may be scammed by the police.

You may have an accident and be scammed by the owner.

If someone gets injured, you may have to pay out big time.

I have bought a bicycle. I go slower than motorbikes, and it is lighter, reducing the risk of accidents, and reducing the likelihood of injury if an accident occurs.

Many Cambodian drivers are very stupid, making the risk of accidents much more likely. Sit at an intersection and watch them.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

explorer wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:11 am
I have bought a bicycle. I go slower than motorbikes, and it is lighter, reducing the risk of accidents, and reducing the likelihood of injury if an accident occurs.
Its not usually how fast you go, its how fast the other vehicle is going that runs into you.

The broken bicycle of a young boy killed by the car of Oddar Meanchey’s deputy governor lies at the crash site in Samroang town. FACEBOOK
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Kuroneko wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:58 am
explorer wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:11 am
Its not usually how fast you go, its how fast the other vehicle is going that runs into you.

The broken bicycle of a young boy killed by the car of Oddar Meanchey’s deputy governor lies at the crash site in Samroang town. FACEBOOK
I think riding a bicycle is even more dangerous as you are at the bottom of the food chain and everyone will basically ignore you. Even more dangerous when riding at speed as nobody expects you to go fast.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic