Travelling in SEA for Cambodian Citizens

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
khmerre
Expatriate

Re: Travelling in SEA for Cambodian Citizens

Post by khmerre »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:13 am Sorry, should clarify my post....old passport gets cancelled and returned to the person
the passport office in PP told
yes but only, if the old passport is not valid anymore, otherwise the passport office will keep the old passport also not cancelling the old passport

maybe applying for a total new one without mentioning the old one could be an idea
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

Nobody has the right to keep your passport except the issuing authority.

Applying for a new one without mentioning the old one?

Great idea, who would keep records, right?
xX.TROPA.Xx
Expatriate
Nigeria

Post by xX.TROPA.Xx »

phuketrichard wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:06 am my gf got her new 10 year Khmer passport 2 years before her old one was due to expire,
she has both now
PS ; they didn't even cancel the old one , ( although it has now expired) as most western countries do

I can see ur reasoning for keeping old one to establish travel history for u both
How much did it cost your gf to get her new Cambodian passport?
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

xX.TROPA.Xx wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:34 pm
phuketrichard wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:06 am my gf got her new 10 year Khmer passport 2 years before her old one was due to expire,
she has both now
PS ; they didn't even cancel the old one , ( although it has now expired) as most western countries do

I can see ur reasoning for keeping old one to establish travel history for u both
How much did it cost your gf to get her new Cambodian passport?
$170 back July 2016, got it in 3 days with an agent helping
Her sister paid like $120 in 2017 but took a month
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
khmerre
Expatriate

Post by khmerre »

pczz wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:48 am
Kammekor wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:44 am
hanno wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:32 am
phuketrichard wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:06 amI can see ur reasoning for keeping old one to establish travel history for u both
I can't, TBH. When I used to travel with my ex-wife, the German Embassy knew exactly where and when she had been without need ing her old passport.
If you apply for a Schengen visa you need to provide copies of the peviously issued Schengen visa from the last 5 (or 3? don't remember clearly) years, so I can understand why she wants to keep the old passport if there's previous visa in it.
I have been living eating and cursing Schengen for the last 3 years, but there are a few things relevant here
1/ You do not need the original Schengen just a colour copy. It is on computer and they can look it up to confirm.
2/ If your Khmer friend is an "enduring partner" and you are an EU citizen then they have to give her a visa for free within 3 days. This really pisses of embassies that makes you wait 3 months for an appointment. What constitutes an enduring partner varies from country to country but generally you have to provide evidence that you have lived together FULL TIME for 2 years. Some countries require a marriage certificate. You cannot use this to take your g/f to your home country in the Eu, only other countries. Soif you are French you can use this to take your gf on holiday to spain, but not to take her to france, that would be under your nationalimigration. And before any trolls tell me I am wrong I just did this last year on the advice of the relevant embassy and it worked. The same rule applies if your gf has a child who is an eu citizen froma previous bf perhaps?
3/Lets say you want to go to Holland. There is no Dutch embassy here and their visas are issued by the Germans.
Under Eu law if they refuse you a visa or cannot see you on time you are entitled to go to the nearest Dutch embassy (in Bangkok) and re-apply. we did this when we got refused in PP for no good reason and got the visa in BKK same day we applied ( this was not the dutch, that's just an example).
great info
I was aware of the Freedom to move and live in Europe
https://publications.europa.eu/en/publi ... anguage-en
" The same rule applies if your gf has a child who is an eu citizen froma previous bf perhaps?" yes

but I was not aware, tat you can use that EU-directive just for tourist visa

has someone a list of the EU-countries that consider a durable duly attested relationship similar to a marriage ?

3./ did you get refused the visa from the German embassy using the directive "Freedom to move and live in Europe" ?
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

khmerre wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:37 pm
pczz wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:48 am
Kammekor wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:44 am
hanno wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:32 am
phuketrichard wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:06 amI can see ur reasoning for keeping old one to establish travel history for u both
I can't, TBH. When I used to travel with my ex-wife, the German Embassy knew exactly where and when she had been without need ing her old passport.
If you apply for a Schengen visa you need to provide copies of the peviously issued Schengen visa from the last 5 (or 3? don't remember clearly) years, so I can understand why she wants to keep the old passport if there's previous visa in it.
I have been living eating and cursing Schengen for the last 3 years, but there are a few things relevant here
1/ You do not need the original Schengen just a colour copy. It is on computer and they can look it up to confirm.
2/ If your Khmer friend is an "enduring partner" and you are an EU citizen then they have to give her a visa for free within 3 days. This really pisses of embassies that makes you wait 3 months for an appointment. What constitutes an enduring partner varies from country to country but generally you have to provide evidence that you have lived together FULL TIME for 2 years. Some countries require a marriage certificate. You cannot use this to take your g/f to your home country in the Eu, only other countries. Soif you are French you can use this to take your gf on holiday to spain, but not to take her to france, that would be under your nationalimigration. And before any trolls tell me I am wrong I just did this last year on the advice of the relevant embassy and it worked. The same rule applies if your gf has a child who is an eu citizen froma previous bf perhaps?
3/Lets say you want to go to Holland. There is no Dutch embassy here and their visas are issued by the Germans.
Under Eu law if they refuse you a visa or cannot see you on time you are entitled to go to the nearest Dutch embassy (in Bangkok) and re-apply. we did this when we got refused in PP for no good reason and got the visa in BKK same day we applied ( this was not the dutch, that's just an example).
great info
I was aware of the Freedom to move and live in Europe
" The same rule applies if your gf has a child who is an eu citizen froma previous bf perhaps?" yes

but I was not aware, tat you can use that EU-directive just for tourist visa

has someone a list of the EU-countries that consider a durable duly attested relationship similar to a marriage ?

3./ did you get refused the visa from the German embassy using the directive "Freedom to move and live in Europe" ?
I cannot discuss that case in any detail as there is ongoing legal action against the embassy concerned. Basicallly they breached a huge number of the Schengen code requirements.
To be a tourist in Europe you need a Schengen visa and it says in the code that it is free and within 3 days if you have a qualifying family member who is European and you are travelling with them or to visit them. Up until recently the situation regarding a mother and her minor son was a bit debatable, but it has been sorted in several case in the EU court. Look up "Chen case 2002 EU" on internet. It very heavy reading.
The guidelines for a durable relationship is generally co habiting full time for 2 years, but it is up to the country. You will need to check specifically with the embassy concerned. In general the UK and Ireland play dirty because they are not in Schengen. Strongly religious countries can also be tricky. For example one requires a marriage certificate even though the law has been changed to accept an affidavit of co-habitation. Immigratio haven't been told, the lawyers don't know and its in black and white as a decree from the government.
Finally there is a bonus if you can do it using the relative argument. You do not need so much money in most countries. For example as a foreigner going on holiday to EU you need 50 to 100 euro a day. As a relative they only expect you to have minimum wage roughly. That is 1500 for a month. As a relative my friend only needed 860 euro a month. This only works if you apply at the embassy and don't have to go through the French or german embassies. They apply their own country rates.
If you want to move wifey to eu permanently you MUST get a National visa or a special Schengen Visa marked with family reunification before you go from the nearest embassy which means a trip to Bangkok if its not France or germany. You cannot rock up on a tourist visa and apply.
khmerre
Expatriate

Post by khmerre »

the guide Freedom to move and live in Europe A Guide to your rights as an EU citizen give you detailed practical guidance. The guide takes account of EU law as of February 2013.

It si pretty clear for the case "official" wife/husband, ascendent and discendent and the embassy cannot play dirty. By the case for a durable relationship the embassy can play dirty because non EU partners have no ‘automatic’ right to accompany you to the host EU country or join you there. Their rights are subject to the host EU country’s discretion.
They have the right to have entry and residence
‘facilitated’. This essentially means
that the host EU country should treat them
more favourably compared with applications
for entry and residence of other non-EU
nationals. The host EU country should examine
their family ties with you and, if they consider
that you form a genuine family, they should be
treated on the same footing as family members
such as spouses or children.
The host EU country is obliged to undertake
an extensive examination of their personal circumstances
and refusal of entry and residence
to those family members must be justified, notified in writing and is subject to an appeal.

for residence you have to prove the money, but just for tourism (less then 3 months)
All the consular officials can ask
for is their passport and a document establishing
their family ties with you, such as a
marriage or birth certificate, proof that you
are already living in the host EU country (or
a declaration that you will go there with your
family members, once the visa is issued) and
proof of dependence, where applicable. Your
family members cannot be asked to present
documents such as travel tickets, employment
certificate, pay slips, bank statements, proof of
accommodation and means of subsistence or