Current flooding situation

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
frpal
Tourist
Sweden

Current flooding situation

Post by frpal »

Hi all,

could you provide some details about current situation on cambodian roads?
We are a group of 6 arriving in 10 days and we are planning a road trip from Siem Reap to Kratie, Kratie - Kampong Cham, Kampong Cham - Kampot, Kampot - Sihanoukville. Two days on Koh Rong Samloen and two days in Chi Phat.
Could you advise if the journey seems feasible or not?

Thank you, we constantly check weather news but it is difficult to catch the "real" situation there.

BR,
Francesco
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Re: Current flooding situation

Post by IraHayes »

7 places in 10 days... I wouldn’t worry about the rain... yo won’t be in one place long enough for it to affect you.
frpal
Tourist
Sweden

Post by frpal »

We will arrive in 10 days! We will stay there for more than 2 weeks
fatuousdrivel
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by fatuousdrivel »

You’re asking us to predict the weather.
If it worries you stay in your safe country and wait for the beastly rain to stop.
Steven
Expatriate
France

Post by Steven »

IraHayes wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:11 pm 7 places in 10 days... I wouldn’t worry about the rain... yo won’t be in one place long enough for it to affect you.
From experience I would say the rain in KOW if mostly at noon/early afternoon, travelling in the morning should do the trick.

I don't know the current road situation though.
frpal
Tourist
Sweden

Post by frpal »

fatuousdrivel wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:26 pm You’re asking us to predict the weather.
If it worries you stay in your safe country and wait for the beastly rain to stop.
I dont understand this offensive reply. Read my post once againg please. I didnt ask to predict the weather. I asked about current situation on roads, insider information I can't get online due to limited number of media available.
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Post by bolueeleh »

coming in 10days time, i wld suggest try to find out when near ur departure date
Money is not the problem, the problem is no money
whiteribbon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by whiteribbon »

bolueeleh wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:13 pm coming in 10days time, i wld suggest try to find out when near ur departure date
True this. The roads around Kampot were completely fucked up some days ago, what normally took me 15 minutes to drive took me an hour some days ago. But The governor said they would all be fixed before the election! Oh and if you're in Kampot you should have a quick stop in Kep as well to visit the crabmarket, the roads in Kep are wonderful, even during this heavy rain season.
just noise, white noise
whiteribbon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by whiteribbon »

Oh and don't believe the weather apps in Cambodia (I use 'Weather Live and the Iphone app), they're usually wrong. Although Weather Live is the more accurate of the 2.
just noise, white noise
epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Post by epidemiks »

Itinerary is fine. Perfectly achievable over two weeks. Roads are all navigable, but maybe a bit slower than usual.

Get your driver to take the route from Siem Reap > Kampong Thma > Chamkar Leu > Stueng Trang (not Stung Treng) route, then ferry across at Stung Trang Trang to Krouch Chhmar, and on to Kratie. Will save 2+ hours compared to going all the way through Kampong Cham town.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic