Current flooding situation

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Re: Current flooding situation

Post by cptrelentless »

NR3 and NR4 are fine now, been dry a week but the roads are all pretty fucked, more so than usual. Unless it pisses it down again. Might be a choppy trip out to Samloeng, maybe get on the bigger boat unless you enjoy regurgitation.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

whiteribbon wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:21 pm
bolueeleh wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:13 pm coming in 10days time, i wld suggest try to find out when near ur departure date
True this. The roads around Kampot were completely fucked up some days ago, what normally took me 15 minutes to drive took me an hour some days ago. But The governor said they would all be fixed before the election! Oh and if you're in Kampot you should have a quick stop in Kep as well to visit the crabmarket, the roads in Kep are wonderful, even during this heavy rain season.
roads between kep and kampot are ok, just drove back to kep tonight from Kampot, no more pot holes but rough packed asphalt in places, only 25 minutes
10 days ago road between SR and Kampong Chan- Kep via Oudong were all good
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

frpal wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:33 pm Hi all,

could you provide some details about current situation on cambodian roads?
We are a group of 6 arriving in 10 days and we are planning a road trip from Siem Reap to Kratie, Kratie - Kampong Cham, Kampong Cham - Kampot, Kampot - Sihanoukville. Two days on Koh Rong Samloen and two days in Chi Phat.
Could you advise if the journey seems feasible or not?

Thank you, we constantly check weather news but it is difficult to catch the "real" situation there.
I'd recommend just checking this site, there are often current reports on flooding, for example here:

newsworthy/cambodian-flood-warnings-aft ... 21711.html

general-chatter/flooding-t21497.html?hilit=flooded

As others have mentioned the situation changes constantly. From news and what others have posted there have been larger floods than usual in some parts of the country. The Mekong seems to have risen a meter or two in the past week, and we are nowhere near the height of the season yet, that could be a couple of months away. You'll be ok, you can always get a canoe if the road is washed out or covered and major routes are raised and not affected so much.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

I thought Chi Pat had just been SEVERELY flooded. All fucked there for a couple of months I think.

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

fatuousdrivel wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:26 pm You’re asking us to predict the weather.
If it worries you stay in your safe country and wait for the beastly rain to stop.
That's not very helpful. The OP is asking for the current situation on the roads in Cambodia.

@OP As others have said, the situation could easily change in 10 days. The national road 4 has been opening and closing. It can change very quickly, so keep an eye on weather forecasts as well as the threads on flooding here on CEO.
I talked to someone in Kratie today who says it is not flooding there (yet), but they are a bit anxious it might get worse, so keep up to date.
epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Post by epidemiks »

Yeah, actually Chi​ Phat was underwater last week. Might be ok 20 days from now, but you'd probably want a backup plan.

Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

O Soam from Koh Kong, if you want jungle!

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic