To stay or not to stay...

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
kgbagent
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: To stay or not to stay...

Post by kgbagent »

I suggest all readers watch the first two episodes of "Who is America"
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

I am proud to be a disgruntled American. But proud or not is meaningless. When sperm meets egg no embryo is offered specific citizenship. It's a crapshoot; no way to be proud about pure chance. Grateful perhaps , but not proud.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
Felgerkarb
Expatriate

Post by Felgerkarb »

taabarang wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:41 pm I am proud to be a disgruntled American. But proud or not is meaningless. When sperm meets egg no embryo is offered specific citizenship. It's a crapshoot; no way to be proud about pure chance. Grateful perhaps , but not proud.
Your ancestors made the choice where to live, work, etc.. Nothing random about what they did.
===============
We are all puppets in the hands of an insane puppeteer...
--Brother Theodore
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

taabarang wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:41 pm I am proud to be a disgruntled American. But proud or not is meaningless. When sperm meets egg no embryo is offered specific citizenship. It's a crapshoot; no way to be proud about pure chance. Grateful perhaps , but not proud.
I've always loved the word disgruntled. It uses 'dis' to negate the following word, so that should be 'gruntle', right? Were people gruntled in the first place? Once they become disgruntled, can they be regruntled?
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

"Nothing random about what they did"

Obviously you can't extend the logic beyond one generation. Did my parents choose to be born American or Jewish, Muslim or Christian? It's a crapshoot for all embryos.

Stroppy as you well know English is loaded with negative adjectives which are not used in the positive.
Nothing whelming about that.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

I thought disgruntled was a term plastic surgeons used.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

taabarang wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:06 pm Stroppy as you well know English is loaded with negative adjectives which are not used in the positive.
Nothing whelming about that.
I'm going to be a dick here ... 'whelm' is actually a valid word, but not commonly used! :D
GTC7
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by GTC7 »

Gruntled actually does mean happy.

Had it not been for a meme I saw a couple weeks ago I wouldn't have known though.
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

Flammable and inflammable.

Stupid bloody language. But then, what can one expect from Germanic types?
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

GTC7 wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:46 pm Gruntled actually does mean happy.

Had it not been for a meme I saw a couple weeks ago I wouldn't have known though.
Honestly didn't know that. But it turns out 'gruntle' may have spawned from 'disgruntle' rather than the other way around, according to Merriam Webster:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic