To stay or not to stay...

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Re: To stay or not to stay...

Post by StroppyChops »

Hotdigr wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:01 am I know a couple that did get charged using the portal, but as we both know, nothing is consistent here!
That's the only thing that's consistent.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Arget »

Hotdigr wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:01 am I know a couple that did get charged using the portal, but as we both know, nothing is consistent here!
Yeah, the arrears are now paid (or written off, whatever the case may be) so no worries next year and no stress when you see an immigration officer. Particularly if one walks in while you are working! Iwas holding off, hoping for another amnesty, but it doesn't look like that is going to happen, so it was the stress factor that tipped me to get it now. Also the fact that out of respect for the laws of the country, we should all try to stay legal with things like this.
:beer3:
This the attitude we all need to embrace as we are guests in this country and should comply with all laws.

To think we could dodge the laws and bitch when caught is just being a dickhead.

I want to stay so I comply with laws and even "guidelines" as directed. I don't feel pushed about or targeted and feel free to go anywhere without worrying and looking over my shoulder. =@
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

I'm staying. Home sucks. Moving to another place, go through all the same adapting, another culture change. Nah. Whatever happens, happens.
Forktongue2
Expatriate
Afghanistan

Post by Forktongue2 »

If I were you I would leave. Go to another state. California, Alaska, Texas. America has something for everyone. Cambodia can not offer you a future.
GTC7
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by GTC7 »

Forktongue2 wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:20 am If I were you I would leave. Go to another state. California, Alaska, Texas. America has something for everyone. Cambodia can not offer you a future.
I have to laugh at the coincidence...my sister's in Fairbanks, dad's side of the family is in San Jose, mom's side is from Austin.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Another perspective is this - wherever you go, wherever you choose to stay, the common factor is going to be YOU. Changing countries won't change you (well, the core you) and won't give you a better or worse life if you're not in tune with and able to love yourself. I think it's fair to say that many expats are running from or to something. Not sure if that's relevant in your case, but hey, words on forums are free!
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

StroppyChops wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:25 pmwon't give you a better or worse life if you're not in tune with and able to love yourself.
Do you suggest open D?
Sidewalker
Expatriate
Netherlands

Post by Sidewalker »

An experienced traveller once said: If you can't be happy in your home country, you can't be happy in a other country.
There are people who cannot imagine that there are other ways of life than their own life. :facepalm:
GTC7
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by GTC7 »

I heard a story about sailor who grew up in a small town harbor, had the chance to sail all over the world, and by the time he could work no longer he came to the conclusion that understood his harbor better than he ever had before.

The last few comments made me think about that situation. I'm still not convinced I want to return to America again, but one thing that is different for sure, is that I understand my home a lot better than I used to. Problem is, I still don't know if I want to go back, as I feel like America has become somewhat the laughing stock of the world recently. :(
tightenupvolume1
Expatriate
India

Post by tightenupvolume1 »

I remember a saying by Ram Dass "if you want to change the world change your head"

charlie
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic