What happens if you refuse to pay the $3 visa photo "fee" at airport immigration?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Re: What happens if you refuse to pay the $3 visa photo "fee" at airport immigration?

Post by hanno »

phuketrichard wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:00 pm
U'd rather pay $2-3 than visit a photo lap and have 10 pics done for the same price???
Absolutely!!!
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Re: What happens if you refuse to pay the $3 visa photo "fee" at airport immigration?

Post by Arget »

As there is a need for photos for many reasons (visa, license,applications for wp etc) it is logical that you read up on what is required on entry to any country.
When I was coming to Cambodia a few years ago the airline asked for the two photos their system said were required for a visa on arrival in Cambodia.
I advised them that I was only required to have one and they sought advice from the supervisor ( who checked the Travel International Manual) and verified it stated only one required.

An airline can refuse you travel to any country if they do not have evidence that you will be accepted on arrival as they have the responsibility to remove you from the country as the carrier who landed you there at the border.

The acceptance of a fee for a visa without a photo is a local arrangement.
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Post by bolueeleh »

Cam Nivag wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:59 am Years ago, if you flew into Cambodia and didn't have a photo for the visa application, they would charge you $1.

Then they raised it to $2.

Now they ask for $3.

Of course, no one takes your photo except for the electronic photos taken at the immigration booth.

I was reading a tweet today from an Australian journalist who refused to pay $3, insisted on paying $2, and the immigration officer accepted it.

I've never seen this fee documented anywhere and have no idea if it is remotely official.

My question is, what would happen if a (non-black), Western passport holder simply refused to pay the $3 fee, on the basis that it's a bullshit, corrupt request for a bribe?

Would they really deport you for that? At their expense? Or would they relent and allow you in without paying the fee?
now u know why they prefer the chinks to ravage their country instead of cheap charliees
Money is not the problem, the problem is no money
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

hanno wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:01 pm
U'd rather pay $2-3 than visit a photo lap and have 10 pics done for the same price???
Absolutely!!!
I got stung for the $1 on my initial visit and noticed that no photo was ever taken, so realised it was a Bodge dodge - since then we carry a dozen photos of each of us in the passport pouches. We went through the effort of having a photographer take them in the first instance, for some ridiculous price, and then discovered that literally any print shop will take your photo on a camera, correct it in Photoshop, and print a full page of photos for a couple of bucks. If they're bored, they'll even cut them just for something to do.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

StroppyChops wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:34 pm
Absolutely!!!
I got stung for the $1 on my initial visit and noticed that no photo was ever taken, so realised it was a Bodge dodge - since then we carry a dozen photos of each of us in the passport pouches. We went through the effort of having a photographer take them in the first instance, for some ridiculous price, and then discovered that literally any print shop will take your photo on a camera, correct it in Photoshop, and print a full page of photos for a couple of bucks. If they're bored, they'll even cut them just for something to do.
I have had 100'eds of photos made but inevitably lose them before I can use them..... Some sort of curse.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

hanno wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:36 pm
StroppyChops wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:34 pm
Absolutely!!!
I have had 100'eds of photos made but inevitably lose them before I can use them..... Some sort of curse.
It's the ancestral ghosts.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

hanno wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:36 pm
If you have a plastic cover on your passport, stash a bunch of them in the pocket in there.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

It's now five quid for four in the Photo Me booths in the supermarkets, the robbing sods.
Artful Dodger
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Artful Dodger »

In Vietnam, if you enter on a VOA and have no photo, they charge $5 to do one for you.
Water quenches the thirst, alcohol releases the truth.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

For Schengen, USA, Australia, Japan, Korea, Hong Kong, China, ......, if you apply without a photo, you are rejected.

Applying for a visa without a photo is plain stupid, and expecting them to use your passport photo is naive. But then this is Cambodia.....
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic