Correcting date of birth in family book and passport?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
PhnomRon
Expatriate

Re: Correcting date of birth in family book and passport?

Post by PhnomRon »

walkjivefly wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:14 am
GTC7 wrote:I would honestly try and go the other way around, and get a new birth certificate that matches her passport.
^^^^^ this. Do it in Phnom Penh and it might cost $100 and take 2 days. No Sangkat involved.

Sent from my Redmi 3 using Tapatalk
Really? She's not from Phnom Penh. Where and how can she get a birth certificate in Phnom Penh?
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by fax »

PhnomRon wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:28 pm Really? She's not from Phnom Penh. Where and how can she get a birth certificate in Phnom Penh?
If I'm not mistaken all birth certificates are issued by the Ministry of Interior. Your Sangkat puts in the request for you but you may be able to deal with them directly for the right sized tip.
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

fax wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:46 pm
PhnomRon wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:28 pm Really? She's not from Phnom Penh. Where and how can she get a birth certificate in Phnom Penh?
If I'm not mistaken all birth certificates are issued by the Ministry of Interior. Your Sangkat puts in the request for you but you may be able to deal with them directly for the right sized tip.
It's very difficult now to get a birth certificate changed, my wife's godfather who sorted out my daughter's said there's been a crack down on phoney baloney ones. Certainly it's been since October that my wife's first daughter's passport has taken, mainly because some tool at the Sangkat wrote her surname down as some random bollocks. A lot of back and forth now to make sure it's right. There's other documents at the Sangkat office you were born at where you can get birth records and then the laminated one.
fatuousdrivel
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by fatuousdrivel »

Might be easier and quicker to change girlfriend.
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pissontheroof »

fatuousdrivel wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:11 pm Might be easier and quicker to change girlfriend.
id rather be illegitimate
พิซออนเดอรูฟ
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

The issue with trying to obtain replacement documents now is that it needs to be completed at the General Department of Identification...some Sangkats are still handling the process, but the government is in the process of rolling out a centralised database for more accurate record keeping, accuracy and accountability.
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

Just wait a month or so....
And see what happens.

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

PhnomRon
Expatriate

Post by PhnomRon »

Barang chgout wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:11 pm Just wait a month or so....
And see what happens.

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk
What happens in a month?
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:09 pm Sangkat level bureacracy can be a right pain in the ass, your gf is probably correct in saying that it will be easier to just get a new birth cert with the same birth date as her family book and passport.

What I find odd though, is that she managed to get a passport without her birth certificate.
I don't think so. When a birth certificate is made up, the same information is also recorded in a 'birth book'. The certificate has to match the info in the book. New books come from the ministry, and full books go to the ministry, if I remember well. This means the Sangkat simply doesn't have the means to change a birth certificate because they have no access to the book.
I think you can request a change from the Sangkat, and they will issue a form which you can present in Phnom Penh. Thinking about this procedure I already start to feel a headache coming up, if not more.

Getting a new family book is local business (pretty easy process) and once she has a family book matching the certificate getting a new passport is also pretty straightforward (assuming they keep no record of passports given out before. If they do, she should report the old passport as being 'stolen').
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Yes, you are correct, but as anyone who knows what Sangkat level bureacracy is like, a little tea money makes most things possible.

But like I said in my next post, obtaining replacement documents such as birth certs now needs to be done directly at the Dept. Of Identification, but first a police report must be filed. The missus is going through the process at the moment, staff at Dept. Of Identification are extremely helpful and actually take the time to explain everything clearly...and not one request for tea money (yet).
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic