Buying land in Cambodia?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Daum Penh Stalker
Expatriate
United States of America

Buying land in Cambodia?

Post by Daum Penh Stalker »

Can foreigners buy land in Cambodia? My wife and I are both foreigners. We are looking to buy a simple house with some land in Cambodia. Is this allowed?
Artful Dodger
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Buying land in Cambodia?

Post by Artful Dodger »

Google might have been a better way to find your answer....

https://www.realestate.com.kh/news/can- ... -cambodia/

So many people ask can foreigners own land in Cambodia... Although the short answer to this is a very simple no, there are plenty of effective ways to control land in Cambodia for your business or personal use.
Are you a foreigner who wants to buy or lease land in Cambodia? If yes, here are some handy advice you need to read! Realestate.com.kh has put together an informative article to show you exactly how you can buy or lease land in Cambodia as a barrang, and the legal precautions you must follow if your venture is to be a success into the future. It’s not all smooth sailing though, and we advise seeking professional legal counsel for any such transaction. But, at least this article is a good start!

Broadly, under Article 44 of the Constitution, foreigners cannot own land in Cambodia. However, foreigners can establish control over land several ways: Buying land through a local company; by leasing land; by attaining Cambodian citizenship; or by buying land through a Cambodian nominee (note: this one is actually outlawed by the constitution).

https://www.realestate.com.kh/news/how- ... oreigners/
Water quenches the thirst, alcohol releases the truth.
Josh_76
Expatriate
Germany

Post by Josh_76 »

Daum Penh Stalker wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:29 am Can foreigners buy land in Cambodia? My wife and I are both foreigners. We are looking to buy a simple house with some land in Cambodia. Is this allowed?
The short answer is you will never be able to get a land title that has your name on it, as long as you aren't a Cambodian citizen.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

Be aware, most foreigners get scammed when buying land in Cambodia.

I heard of one sale where the buyer paid $17,000, the seller got $7,000, and $10,000 was commission.

It is often just a case of asking a much higher price when a foreigner is interested.

Talk to people who have bought land.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Does anyone know anything about long term land leases ? We've seen in Sihanoukville that short term property leases are worth diddlysquat. If the owner wants you out then you leave. Is there any more security in a long term lease with firm conditions, or is it all at your risks and perils ? Is there any 'real' legal security ?

What if you sign a long term lease on some land and the owner dies, for example, or goes bankrupt ? Do the terms change? Or what happens if he'/she gets really really greedy, because land values have increased overnight, and he/she wants to sell the land ?

Also, if anyone has any insights on buying land as opposed to renting long-term, I'd be interested in hearing what they have to say. Or if you have a long-term lease, how has that worked out for you ?
Jack.R.
Expatriate

Post by Jack.R. »

If you need help with land purchase as a foreigner you can drop me a pm. I have plenty of experience in the field.
fatuousdrivel
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by fatuousdrivel »

explorer wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:47 pm Be aware, most foreigners get scammed when buying land in Cambodia.

I heard of one sale where the buyer paid $17,000, the seller got $7,000, and $10,000 was commission.

It is often just a case of asking a much higher price when a foreigner is interested.

Talk to people who have bought land.
I’ve been here for many years and the only barang I’ve heard get scammed was by their bar girl “wives”.

The example above. If they wanted to pay that price for the land, which I assuming they did because they bought it, then how is that a scam? Surely the seller got scammed by the fixer.

Matters not where the money was divvied up.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Yesterday I found out my ladies mother was getting payment in rice per year for the use of about half a hector. The equivalent $25 is paid per year.
I offered the mother and family $200 per year rent for the same land. The results where unbelievable to me when they just laughed at the offer.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic