Best Hostess Bar in Phnom Penh?

This is the part of the forum where we discuss Cambodia's nightlife! While most bars, nightclubs, pubs, beer gardens, and hostess bars are in Phnom Penh, we discuss the Cambodian nightlife across all of Cambodia, including Siem Reap, Kampot, and Sihanoukville. The main nightlife areas in Phnom Penh are on Street 136, Street 130, Street 110 and Street 51, but there are other party spots that aren't girlie bars where expats, tourists, and locals drink until the sun comes up. Feel free to post specials and promotions that relate to nighttime fun!
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Best Hostess Bar?

Post by Clutch Cargo »

cambo swa wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:01 am encouraging young, 40 kg ladies to consume 10-15 alcoholic drinks night after night to make you money is OK? You say that as if that would be normal for anyone. And the longterm outcome for these ladies?
And make themselves money.. No, it's not normal but then isn't that a hazard of the job..the girls know it and it's their choice whether they want to do it.

The only bit I'm sorta uncomfortable with is giving the girls bonuses for getting more than a certain quota each month. That is an encouragement..

Then again, I think many lady drinks don't necessarily have alcohol..isn't it up to the girl? But even consuming lots of sugary drinks is hazardous to your health. Many a nice slim fresh newbie girl from the province ends up chubby after some months in the bar..and I'm sure they eat less than healthy food at those food carts next to the bars. Plus sitting on their arse most of the time..
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

jah steu wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:41 am
phuketrichard wrote:
and u believe them?? :please:
Yes I do. Why not? I don’t care what they do or don’t do with customers. They know this. There is no reason for them to lie. Many of them are thrilled if the customer doesn’t actually sleep with them, and they are happy to tell me that. Especially if the guy still gave them $100.
to save face, whether they know you dont care or not, no Khmer girl will want everyone thinking/knowing shes often fucking different men, im not saying this is the case, but i find it surprising that only 30% of the girls who get barfined from your bars end up having sex
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

clutchcargo wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:53 pm
cambo swa wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:01 am encouraging young, 40 kg ladies to consume 10-15 alcoholic drinks night after night to make you money is OK? You say that as if that would be normal for anyone. And the longterm outcome for these ladies?
And make themselves money.. No, it's not normal but then isn't that a hazard of the job..the girls know it and it's their choice whether they want to do it.

The only bit I'm sorta uncomfortable with is giving the girls bonuses for getting more than a certain quota each month. That is an encouragement..

Then again, I think many lady drinks don't necessarily have alcohol..isn't it up to the girl? But even consuming lots of sugary drinks is hazardous to your health. Many a nice slim fresh newbie girl from the province ends up chubby after some months in the bar..and I'm sure they eat less than healthy food at those food carts next to the bars. Plus sitting on their arse most of the time..
yeah tbh some of the girls i regularly drink with in Jah Steu's bars dont drink and usually only drink Coke
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

mudmax wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:38 pm
jah steu wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:30 pm
fax wrote:
jah steu wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:06 pm All the girls on salary arrive at 6.30pm. The ladydrink girls usually arrive 7-8pm.
What you have girls on salary OR ladydrink? How does that work? Just curious.
Most girls work on salary. Typically $100 a month for a newbie with no experience and no English, up to $180 for the best girls. They get bonuses for hitting ladydrink targets, eg $15 for 150 drinks a month.
Newbies get about 40-80 ladydrinks a month. Top girls get 250-320 drinks a month. Each ladydrink earns them $1.50.
Some girls don’t want to work 6pm-2am every day, they want more flexibility and the freedom to come and go as they please. They come and work at the bar but just get paid for the ladydrinks they earn, no salary. Salary girls and ladydrinks girls appear the same to customers and have to obey the same bar rules.
The top girls can make a fair amount of money. Say $180 basic salary, plus $375 for 250 ladydrinks, $25 target bonus, plus maybe $80 in customer tips, plus if they go out with customers maybe ten times a month that’s another maybe $600. That’s $1,260 a month.
Most of the experienced girls also have at least one or two guys sending them money each month from overseas, typically $200-500 each.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
why do guys send bar girls money from overseas? like to wait for them or something and not go out with customers?
Many of these girls tell their absentee overseas sponsors that she stop work in the bar yet they don't. Many of these guys are gullible. Some send money as a sort of 'holding fee' till they come back. By the way, many of the girls in the bars also have a khmer boyfriend too.
prahocalypse now
Expatriate
India

Post by prahocalypse now »

Jamie_Lambo wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:56 pm
phuketrichard wrote:
Yes I do. Why not? I don’t care what they do or don’t do with customers. They know this. There is no reason for them to lie. Many of them are thrilled if the customer doesn’t actually sleep with them, and they are happy to tell me that. Especially if the guy still gave them $100.
to save face, whether they know you dont care or not, no Khmer girl will want everyone thinking/knowing shes often fucking different men, im not saying this is the case, but i find it surprising that only 30% of the girls who get barfined from your bars end up having sex
If you asked men who barfine girls from Phnom Penh girly bars what percentage of the time they end up boning the girl, would the result still be 30%?

If anyone has a 'friend' who does this, it would be great if you could ask the 'friend' and post the results here.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

jah steu wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:30 pm. Salary girls and ladydrinks girls appear the same to customers and have to obey the same bar rules.
Bar rule? As in a written code if conduct that staff must follow or an unwritten code that is just common sense. Such as don't muscle in on a lady and her customer.

Serious question as its not something i had thought about before.
violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

phuketrichard wrote:
Looking at your other comments above about bar owners and how they treat staff harshly in various ways, I think your experiences may now be out of date and also may apply in Thailand but not in Cambodia. Plus the job power is currently in the hands of staff rather than bar owners. Potential hostesses have many options about where they work. If an owner were to do what you describe, his staff would leave in droves.

Thrilled if the customer doesn't sleep with them....because heads up guys ....they don't enjoy it. Means to an ends. Choice is dictated by circumstances.

Are YOU (general you) one of the ones they wish would fall asleep or fail to perform???
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
khmerhamster
Expatriate
Turkmenistan

Post by khmerhamster »

Loads of times a girl (staff member or youth connected to an organisation I help with) has sworn to me that they don’t have a boyfriend. Then a few weeks later I get an envelope inviting me to a wedding/engagement.

I guess the same thing happens in the bar scene. ‘No, no we only dance. He very old, not strong’

Why would they volunteer information to a male foreign boss about sexual escapades? Regardless of the job they do they still grew up in a fairly conservative culture.
jah steu
Expatriate
Australia

Post by jah steu »

cambo swa wrote:As you said, you don't care, but encouraging young, 40 kg ladies to consume 10-15 alcoholic drinks night after night to make you money is OK? You say that as if that would be normal for anyone. And the longterm outcome for these ladies? I know you don't care. Pimping does not always have to involve sex.
You are absolutely right. What is in ladydrinks is an important health issue.
Each ladydrink has maybe 100ml of fluid.
A good girl can get 15-20 drinks on a busy night. Let’s say 15. That’s 1.5 litres of fluid!
Traditionally it is Coca Cola. That is a hell of a lot of sugary sweet liquid to consume each night, not to mention the amount of caffeine in the coke. So yes the girls put on weight, can’t get to sleep properly and are consuming far too much sugar.
This has bothered me for a while. We have tried various alternatives. Soya milk, Royal D rehydration fluid, fruit juice, coloured water and Diet Coke, but so far with limited success. The girls don’t like these alternatives much. And if we cut down the amount of fluid too much, the customers complain that the ladydrinks are too small!
The amount of alcohol in each standard ladydrink is about 10ml. That’s not too bad.
Some customers seem to delight in trying to get the girls massively drunk by buying them shots or full strength 50ml spirit drinks. I do not like this at all.
In our bars we limit the girls to four ‘full strength’ drinks/shots each per night. Of course some of the girls still manage to drink more than this four shot limit.
Our drinks menus all carry the following statement:
“Ladydrinks
We value our staff's health and we hope you do too.
 We hope that you agree that buying a member of staff a ladydrink is a way of thanking her for her company rather than a way of getting her excessively drunk.
 If you offer to buy a staff member a drink, she may request that it's alcohol-free: please respect her choice. It won't make her any less sociable or attentive. She may have specific medical reasons for her choice, or she may just feel that she has had enough alcohol for one night and having any more will make her ill.
 Our aim is to ensure you have an enjoyable evening while our manager supports our staff in their choices.”

Sent from embedded sub-cutaneous iPhone 9 using Tapatalk.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Jah Steu- thanks for sharing the insights and being candid with the workings of the hostess bar scene.

Great that you are giving consideration into the excessive consumption and health effects of the lady drinks.

Limiting the amount of alcohol girls take is also positive albeit there does not appear to be a viable solution to drinking excessive coke..

On the other hand, don't you think your stated policy of offering $$ bonuses for exceeding monthly quotas (250drinks) is out of sync and conflicts with your stated concern?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic