GearBest - what's your success rate like?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Re: GearBest - what's your success rate like?

Post by StroppyChops »

khmerhamster wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:46 am I order regularly from AliExpress to my P.O. Box. It’s slow, but rarely have issues.

Last year I tried to order something from GearBest and they wouldn’t accept a P.O. Box as an address - so ended up cancelling the order.

Has this policy changed? Or do you get it sent to a house address? I’m rarely at home during delivery hours so this would be a real pain in the ass if it is the only option.
I'm getting it shipped to a home address, but expect to have to collect it at the post office to pay import fees.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by beaker »

StroppyChops wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:44 pm
khmerhamster wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:46 am I order regularly from AliExpress to my P.O. Box. It’s slow, but rarely have issues.

Last year I tried to order something from GearBest and they wouldn’t accept a P.O. Box as an address - so ended up cancelling the order.

Has this policy changed? Or do you get it sent to a house address? I’m rarely at home during delivery hours so this would be a real pain in the ass if it is the only option.
I'm getting it shipped to a home address, but expect to have to collect it at the post office to pay import fees.
shouldn't be any import fees but there is a small PO Fee usually no more that 3000 riel depends on the size of package
"i'm the one who has to die, when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way i want to"
jimi hendrix
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

beaker wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:33 pm
StroppyChops wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:44 pm

shouldn't be any import fees but there is a small PO Fee usually no more that 3000 riel depends on the size of package
Starts at 2500 riel but it's based on weight. Higher rate if it's shipped via EMS.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Quick update - the first of three parcels arrived today, was delivered to the door by DHL, no mention of import taxes. This gives me hope as the main parcel was shipped this morning (slight delay in handling) and will be the one that might have attracted attention. The DHL guy had to make several calls to find our address as he doesn't know the area, but eventually asked to speak to a Khmer, who guided him in from the pagoda. He seemed pleased with his tip.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

My only purchase from GearBest - an Android TV box - died in the arse today, just 8mo old. One minute it's sitting on the home screen, next thing I know I'm getting the "no signal" blue screen on the TV. Box is still on but even the power button isn't responding. I'll try and flash it but I think it's doomed. Same response on another TV. Doubt I'll get any warranty on it from GB. Shame because this was a great box until now: Android+Kodi, as well as DVB-T and DVB-S tuners.
Bubble T
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Bubble T »

For wire, tanks, cotton etc use 3F Vape and select shipping via DHL, you will receive 100% of what you order.

Today I went to the post office to collect a USPS order from ejuicedirect and got questioned and hassled but was eventually allowed to keep it. Much better than the cheap Chinese stuff or overpriced imports you get at local shops here.

Edit: I have spare nichrome flat dual core clapton wire and a few premade nichrome alien hydras if you still need, happy to give them away if you just need a couple of coils.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Bubble T wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:01 pm For wire, tanks, cotton etc use 3F Vape and select shipping via DHL, you will receive 100% of what you order.

Today I went to the post office to collect a USPS order from ejuicedirect and got questioned and hassled but was eventually allowed to keep it. Much better than the cheap Chinese stuff or overpriced imports you get at local shops here.
I ended up biting the bullet and buying two rolls of nichrome wire from Europe - this is the only package that is likely to pass through the post office, and I'm not concerned exactly, but not looking forward to playing charades with the PO staff. I've never had a problem with the package counter (that's not to say every package has arrived, it hasn't) but there's always a game to play, time to waste.
Bubble T
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Bubble T »

StroppyChops wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:09 pm I've never had a problem with the package counter
I got taken from the package counter to the room to the left of it. Oldish dude and stern looking lady kept saying "Shisha? Shisha?" I explained that shisha is from a plant and this is just scented oil for aromatherapy, and my wife doesn't let me smoke anything so there's nothing to worry about. He knew I was fucking with him but seemed to be enjoying it so we both played along for about 10 mins (which included me opening a bottle for him to smell) and eventually he got bored and let me leave with it. Never had any issues with anything that isn't liquid, but that's mainly because I get everything else from 3F and they offer DHL which I always use.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Bubble T wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:14 pm
StroppyChops wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:09 pm I've never had a problem with the package counter
I got taken from the package counter to the room to the left of it. Oldish dude and stern looking lady kept saying "Shisha? Shisha?" I explained that shisha is from a plant and this is just scented oil for aromatherapy, and my wife doesn't let me smoke anything so there's nothing to worry about. He knew I was fucking with him but seemed to be enjoying it so we both played along for about 10 mins (which included me opening a bottle for him to smell) and eventually he got bored and let me leave with it. Never had any issues with anything that isn't liquid, but that's mainly because I get everything else from 3F and they offer DHL which I always use.
We got a care package from Europe, with food stuffs and presents. The false-stern game was played with the customs guy getting involved - "You know what's in here? You want me to check?" - looking for easy tea money but obviously realising it wasn't coming from me. I told him to go ahead and do his thing if he thought he should, he just gave me the knowing smile and nod, and moved on to easier targets. I was tempted to give him a dollar just for the sake of the game (this was a few years ago) but I refuse to do that any more. I'll always tip delivery drivers, though.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

timmydownawell wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:41 pm My only purchase from GearBest - an Android TV box - died in the arse today, just 8mo old. One minute it's sitting on the home screen, next thing I know I'm getting the "no signal" blue screen on the TV. Box is still on but even the power button isn't responding. I'll try and flash it but I think it's doomed. Same response on another TV. Doubt I'll get any warranty on it from GB. Shame because this was a great box until now: Android+Kodi, as well as DVB-T and DVB-S tuners.
I sent a video of the box not booting up to GB support and they very quickly offered me a $30 refund. I was very nice and said that's very nice but $40 would be better. And they agreed and refunded it. So slightly more than half what I had paid but better than nothing (was $77). I bought the same item off Aliexpress, and I'm going to attach a small 5V fan under it to push air through and hopefully stop it overheating, which is what I think killed it.

On a related note, my two recent purchases from Aliexpress being delivered by China Post "Air Mail" arrived in just two weeks, which is some kind of miracle. They must have changed their delivery routing or something because they were 4-6 weeks before.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic