Australian government pays "social media influencers"

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Australian government pays "social media influencers"

Post by StroppyChops »

Federal Health Minister Greg Hunt has ordered his department to stop paying social media influencers

Federal Health Minister Greg Hunt has ordered his department to stop paying social media influencers.

The Daily Telegraph revealed on Friday the Health Department had spent more than $600,000 in taxpayer funds on the #girlsmakeyourmove social media campaign over the past 18 months.

"At my request, the department is pausing and reviewing any use of influencers," Mr Hunt said in a statement.

"There would need to be a demonstrated benefit and demonstrated suitability of any individual going forward, for this to recommence.

"This would need to include a thorough assessment and vetting process linked to improving the health of Australians."

Labor senator Murray Watt said he was pleased to see Mr Hunt's decision.
Click here to read the rest of the story.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't the US accused Russia of influencing the outcome of the last presidential election by using social media influencers and micro-targeting? So, when a government does it to it's own people, that's somehow not a Bad Thing?
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Australian government pays "social media influencers"

Post by timmydownawell »

'social media influencers' aren't worth wasting money on, no wonder they got told to stop it. How much influence do they really think instagrammers have? Even if 200,000 people see a post with a crappy #tag they won't care. Money down the toilet if you ask me.

Facebook campaigns, on the other hard, are much more worthwhile.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Yobbo
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Yobbo »

StroppyChops wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:07 pm
Federal Health Minister Greg Hunt has ordered his department to stop paying social media influencers

Federal Health Minister Greg Hunt has ordered his department to stop paying social media influencers.

The Daily Telegraph revealed on Friday the Health Department had spent more than $600,000 in taxpayer funds on the #girlsmakeyourmove social media campaign over the past 18 months.

"At my request, the department is pausing and reviewing any use of influencers," Mr Hunt said in a statement.

"There would need to be a demonstrated benefit and demonstrated suitability of any individual going forward, for this to recommence.

"This would need to include a thorough assessment and vetting process linked to improving the health of Australians."

Labor senator Murray Watt said he was pleased to see Mr Hunt's decision.
Click here to read the rest of the story.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't the US accused Russia of influencing the outcome of the last presidential election by using social media influencers and micro-targeting? So, when a government does it to it's own people, that's somehow not a Bad Thing?
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

I don't get what the big deal is in either case. Unless there is something illegal in the ad, who cares who advertises what?

People need to improve their awareness skills when they read something online, that's it.

Should we ban all advertisements so that nobody is ever 'influenced'? That, or people need to start using their brains.

"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Re: Australian government pays

Post by StroppyChops »

General Mackevili wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:05 pm People need to improve their awareness skills when they read something online, that's it.
This, exactly.

Except there are still generations alive that literally rode horses to school, believe they must obey the government at all times, and remember the Depression - (no, smartass, not me - I'm describing my mother. Although I remember the introduction of TV). I'd hate to think what my parent's generation could be led to believe/do based on social media endorsements, and I wish there was a red pill to give them to improve their awareness skills.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

In the 70s it was "wear your seat belt" TV ads... if it's targeted ads for bowel cancer checks or whatever via FB, it's really just a modern day version of that. But Instagram? That shit's just not going to cut through.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Post by rogerrabbit »

timmydownawell wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:29 pm In the 70s it was "wear your seat belt" TV ads... if it's targeted ads for bowel cancer checks or whatever via FB, it's really just a modern day version of that. But Instagram? That shit's just not going to cut through.
Instagram and social media influencer marketing can be really powerful when done properly.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

timmydownawell wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:29 pm In the 70s it was "wear your seat belt" TV ads... if it's targeted ads for bowel cancer checks or whatever via FB, it's really just a modern day version of that. But Instagram? That shit's just not going to cut through.
Those 70s ads (and in other decades) all openly stated who or which government agency was paying for them, at least in Australia. Instagram populates other facets of social media.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

IMO, there is more 'information' available on the internet than ever before, but people need to have the means to decode and translate the available input. That would/should come from some sort of media information education informing internauts how to check their information and sources. However, most people don't want to bother with that, so they read what makes them feel good and whatever supports their opinions. I think that's a shame, but that's how it is.

One thing I enjoy about forums like CEO are the diverse opinions from posters from all nationalities. I have my own opinions, but I'm interested in hearing others'. :director: So carry on. :Bravo:
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

most governments do it
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic