Questions for the leavers

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Bob tailcat
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Questions for the leavers

Post by Bob tailcat »

Interesting response freytag, but I intend to go back solo, the issues of a khmer gf (lucky not married) are ones of the heart. I know flb (we met a few times in Kampot), and understand general mack left a few years ago, lambo spends a lot of time in other places (sorry, others must do too, but these are the public faces of those who leave).

I don't have to go now, but do feel the writing is on the wall. Just want to hear from those who already made the jump.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

I've spoken with a number of Australian/Kiwi couples who have returned after being in Cambodia for 10 years or more, working in NGOs. One of the couples had been here for more than 20 years.

Without exception, all were experiencing trepidation about returning, with the recurring themes being the cost of living, the shallowness of lived life, and knowing what to do with themselves.

For those who discussed the cost of living, it was not so much about how expensive things are in their home countries, it's the mental balance of allowing yourself to spend $50-100 for a meal out when you have been living on $2 pork and rice. They have the finances to be able to afford the lifestyle, but struggling with the concept of doing so.

They were all already aware that most relationships in their home countries are more superficial and transient than those they've built here, as after each encounter you retreat back behind your own walls once again. Nobody wanders down the street to curiously ask "What are you doing?" and little kids don't yell "HelloWhatsYourName" as a greeting.

These people were incredibly busy with justice work in Cambodia, and aren't sure what they'll do longer term in their home country.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Freytag
Tourist
Cambodia

Post by Freytag »

Well, Bobtailcat, if you unattached, you can pretty much do whatever you want. Go east, go south, plenty of nice places in SE. Just don't go home. Unless it's a carrier move.

There you are going to end as an Incel ( involuntary celibacy). A quick look at the parking lots of cheap supermarkets or park benches, clearly shows the loosers of the welfare society. Single lonely men.

Some of them might turn up later in SEA, the majority won't.

It's a hellofalot funnier to end it here. At least your deceased boddy with a pack of red Ara will show up on the interweb, couple of RIP's and some smartass comments, and that's the end of it. :D

Good luck.
:beer:
GTC7
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by GTC7 »

I've been here 8 years and I'm leaving next month.

I'm not so worried about the increased expenses although I am far from wealthy, but I am not sure I'm ready for the "culture shock". Living here has really taught me what matters in life, meaning family, food, shelter and some skills to subsist on. All the other bullshit that people complain about on social media is a first world concern, and I'm a little wary of falling into that trap of ungratefulness again.

I don't know though, I planned to live my life out in Asia, so this move has caught me off guard and I'm not ready to return.
Freytag
Tourist
Cambodia

Post by Freytag »

Gtc7, the cultural chock is enormous. I almost got a heart attack in the supermarket trying to choose one bottle of ketchup out of 15 different kind of brands.

But with a mixed partnership it's probably going to be a lot easier. A lot of the things you can take with you. Simple life. Love, family etc.

Don't need all the shit. On top of that, your wife will connect to other Asians/Cambodians. Positiv turn around. You meet other people. It's not going to be the end of the world.

Cambodia is not going anywhere, well, maybe it's called Cambochina in 10 years. So what?
Let's see what the tide brings in.

Good luck.
:good:
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

I guess it may happen , quite possible in fact. But I came coz I wanted too. If I have to leave, so be it
There's a whole world of stuff to be done ( or not) out there .

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Post by epidemiks »

I went back, more due to circumstance that desire, but struggled to reintegrate in Australia. Suburbia is a wasteland. Complete commercial media saturation egging people into debt, and that's just the news. $150 to go out for a feed and a few beers.

Within 6 months, I ended a 12 year relationship (writing had been on the wall for at least 6 years but we'd carried on because that was simpler than making a decision), several months after that I'd found a job and was back in KoW 18 months after I'd left.

Now married, kid, enjoying life. Have no plans to leave any time soon.
xxxxxxx
Expatriate

Post by xxxxxxx »

What the fuck is justice work? Either way, if they've been doing it for 20 years here they failed miserably.
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

xxxxxxx wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:04 am What the fuck is justice work? Either way, if they've been doing it for 20 years here they failed miserably.
Here's one example.

International Bridges to Justice provides access to high quality free legal aid services to the poorest of the poor in 20 provinces and in the Court of Appeal. Through early access to counsel, IBJ eliminates instances of torture or other inhumane treatment.
IBJ conducts rights awareness campaigns to inform individuals of their legal rights and encourage them to claim these rights.
IBJ runs radio rights awareness programs to explain to individuals their legal rights to counsel, to a fair trial, and to be free from torture, and advising them on where to seek legal aid services.

IBJ Country Facts

Working on the ground in Cambodia since 2001.
First Defender Resource Center established in 2006.
9 Defender Resource Centers currently providing legal protection across 22 out of 25 provinces.
Over 7,000 cases handled.
Over 14,000 people reached in 276 Community Legal Awareness events (CLAs)
Over 1,800 detainees reached in 72 Prison Legal Awareness events (PLAs)
48 roundtable discussions with over 1,128 participants.
32 radio rights awareness campaigns reaching out to millions of Cambodians.
23 defender/justice-sector decision-maker joint trainings, with over 900 participants.
https://www.ibj.org/where-we-work/cambodia/

Here's another:
Program on Rights and Justice in Cambodia (PRAJ)

Building upon the success of its six-year predecessor, the Program on Rights and Justice in Cambodia (PRAJ), EWMI continues to promote access to justice, improve the professional standards of the future Cambodian legal community, and strengthen grassroots advocacy and community networks, including community-based advocacy to protect Cambodia's biodiversity. New initiatives under EWMI's program include activities to improve the collection and use of justice system data and the creation of a new open data platform to promote transparency in Cambodia's resource development.
https://worldjusticeproject.org/news/pr ... bodia-praj
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Bob tailcat wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:34 pm Interesting response freytag, but I intend to go back solo, the issues of a khmer gf (lucky not married) are ones of the heart. I know flb (we met a few times in Kampot), and understand general mack left a few years ago, lambo spends a lot of time in other places (sorry, others must do too, but these are the public faces of those who leave).

I don't have to go now, but do feel the writing is on the wall. Just want to hear from those who already made the jump.

i only spend 4-5 months of the year in other places (Thailand/England) rest of the time im in Cambodia
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic