Bag Snatching from Tuktuk from Phnom Penh Airport

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Bag Snatching from Tuktuk from Phnom Penh Airport

Post by explorer »

Multipox wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:22 pm Would any of the tuktuk drivers be in cahoots with thieves?
All of them.

Most of them are also paying off the police. The police want money. They dont want to stop crime.

This may be reduced if people post the registration number of the tuk tuk when they have been robbed. Even better a photo of the driver.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
laredo
Expatriate
Germany

Post by laredo »

The police should instal more surveillance cameras on roads like the airport road.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

explorer wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:14 pm
Multipox wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:22 pm Would any of the tuktuk drivers be in cahoots with thieves?
All of them.

Most of them are also paying off the police. The police want money. They dont want to stop crime.

This may be reduced if people post the registration number of the tuk tuk when they have been robbed. Even better a photo of the driver.
I don't agree with that. The passapp tuktuks are all registered. If a passapp driver is involved in more than one crime, that will show up. Most tuktuk drivers are honest and they will tell you to be careful with your luggage and when using your phone while in the tuktuk.
Police have been on the case of the airport snatchers recently. Note that the amount of bag-snatching on the road to the airport has decreased.
@ explorer. All tuktuk drivers are not thieves. They are just trying to make some money like everyone else.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: Bag Snatching from Tuktuk from Phnom Penh Airport Fails

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

armchairlawyer wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:39 pm Please everyone, do not use a tuktuk to or from the airport. A car from Exnet or Grab costs $8.
Tuk tuks much quicker than car, plus you can smoke while enjoying some cold beers :beer1:

Just need to have a bit of common sense to avoid getting your shit snatched
miciur
Expatriate
Hungary

Post by miciur »

I had an attack ( almost 10 years ago) when I was drunk at nighttime in quiet and not safety area. They robed 30$ from me. Generally
1 When you drunk better you don’t walk on quiet streets
2 If you don’t have a local guardian angel don’t argue with local guys at nighttime.
Anyway my safe place at
night time “railway Toul Kork” area, I had a guardian angel there and she told to everyone this barang is poor and taboo. Don’t disturb anyway. Please no one try to go there nighttime and use taxi or train when you go to airport!
Be yourself, no matter what they say!
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Bag Snatching from Tuktuk from Phnom Penh Airport Fails

Post by armchairlawyer »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:07 pm
Tuk tuks much quicker than car, plus you can smoke while enjoying some cold beers :beer1:

Just need to have a bit of common sense to avoid getting your shit snatched
Ok, I get the point if you are a smoker. But from the journeys I have had on the airport road recently I don't see tuk-tuks being any quicker and don't you just get hot and stunk out by exhaust fumes in the stationary traffic? Plus if you have more than a small bag I don't see how you can stop a snatch taking place, and if the jao has a knife he could take anything from you.
For me, just because we live in Cambodia that doesn't mean we throw out all concept of risk assessment. There are loads of things to enjoy that would be banned or unavailable in our home countries but it's worth avoiding or minimising things that are more likely to be dangerous or would be really bad if they did.
Anyway the point is to let newbies know the facts and everyone can make their own decisions. That's a great thing about this forum.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

I am rarely as happy as when i am sitting in a tuk tuk,
soaking in the sights, sounds and smells of Cambodia after having just flown back in.
Nothing reminds me more, of how much i love my chosen home.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:12 am I am rarely as happy as when i am sitting in a tuk tuk,
soaking in the sights, sounds and smells of Cambodia after having just flown back in.
Nothing reminds me more, of how much i love my chosen home.
Lol. Then you say to yourself - WTF is all this traffic ? It wasn't as bad as this before.

And then you say - Thank god it's a tuktuk - when the guy drives down the footpath/one way street to get through the traffic jams. :plus1:
Have another beer. You'll get there eventually. :beer1:
JUDGEDREDD
Expatriate
Christmas Island

Post by JUDGEDREDD »

My tuktuk driver was throwing legs out at other drivers road rash style, was quality lol
Slow down little world, you're changing too fast.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

Anchor Moy wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:54 pm
explorer wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:14 pm
All of them.

I don't agree with that. The passapp tuktuks are all registered. If a passapp driver is involved in more than one crime, that will show up. Most tuktuk drivers are honest and they will tell you to be careful with your luggage and when using your phone while in the tuktuk.
Police have been on the case of the airport snatchers recently. Note that the amount of bag-snatching on the road to the airport has decreased.
@ explorer. All tuktuk drivers are not thieves. They are just trying to make some money like everyone else.
I should have been more specific.

I should have said, all of those where bag snatching or phone snatching is involved, particularly between the airport and Phnom Penh.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic