flooding

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Ashcroftie
Expatriate
Zimbabwe

Re: flooding

Post by Ashcroftie »

As I see it, it will end up in the Sekong river and yes, ultimately of course in the Mekong.
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

Reap what we sow.

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Anyway, a dam was opened in Cambodia too, washing away 'luxury river bungalows':

StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Kammekor wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:56 pm Anyway, a dam was opened in Cambodia too, washing away 'luxury river bungalows...
There are some really complex and interwoven issues in that story, but good to hear no-one was lost, and WTG to the Wildlife Alliance rangers who helped with the rescue.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

StroppyChops wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:03 pm
Kammekor wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:56 pm Anyway, a dam was opened in Cambodia too, washing away 'luxury river bungalows...
There are some really complex and interwoven issues in that story, but good to hear no-one was lost, and WTG to the Wildlife Alliance rangers who helped with the rescue.
Yes, I don't really know what to think of it too. The fact there was no warning is bad, but hey, it's night, it's Cambodia.... Not opening the gates might be even worse...

Maybe the conclusion is that floating bungalows close to a dam in a country like Cambodia are not as safe as one would expect. Nine years of safe operation doesn't tell me much. I clearly remember what the village of Ta Lao on the shores of the Se San looked like after the Vietnamese had to open a dam in 2009. And they issued a 24 hour warning. There's simply not much you can do when that amount of water comes your way.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Kammekor wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:09 pm
StroppyChops wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:03 pm
Yes, I don't really know what to think of it too. The fact there was no warning is bad, but hey, it's night, it's Cambodia.... Not opening the gates might be even worse...

Maybe the conclusion is that floating bungalows close to a dam in a country like Cambodia are not as safe as one would expect. Nine years of safe operation doesn't tell me much. I clearly remember what the village of Ta Lao on the shores of the Se San looked like after the Vietnamese had to open a dam in 2009. And they issued a 24 hour warning. There's simply not much you can do when that amount of water comes your way.
My immediate thought was that I bet not many rural Khmer live on that floating island, but then realised that's a bit uncharitable of me as it would have been terrifying for those actually on it. The fact that the management could get a condemning media statement out so quickly also distances the organisation from the locals, and surely there's insurance involved. But yeah - you'd think the warning would be mandatory, if not an audible siren system in the floodplains from the dam. And, many other issues.

Mrs Stroppy and I were in Vietnam when officials decided to release a dam to save their own homes, in the full and certain knowledge they were about to kill hundreds of people they didn't know further down river. It turned out the dam release was not approved or necessary, and that the officials were only protecting their own material interests. I'm forever skeptical of motive and intent when you hear media reports about Mr X. saying he HAD to release the dam because reasons.

Edit: typo
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

Not difficult to predict the shed tears and polite curses on TripAdvisor.com. First they lost Sihanoukville, now this. I predict fewer well heeled Australian tourists this year.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
fatuousdrivel
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by fatuousdrivel »

taabarang wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:30 pm Not difficult to predict the shed tears and polite curses on TripAdvisor.com. First they lost Sihanoukville, now this. I predict fewer well heeled Australian tourists this year.
Do well heeled tourists come to Cambodia?
whiteribbon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by whiteribbon »

fatuousdrivel wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:46 pm
taabarang wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:30 pm Not difficult to predict the shed tears and polite curses on TripAdvisor.com. First they lost Sihanoukville, now this. I predict fewer well heeled Australian tourists this year.
The fully booked 500 and 1000 dollar rooms a night say Yes. Or are they all money laundering operations?
Last edited by whiteribbon on Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
just noise, white noise
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

fatuousdrivel wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:46 pm
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic