Would you drink out of a cracked glass in Cambodia?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Post by Cam Nivag »

I don't like when restaurants serve me drinks in glasses that are cracked. But in Cambodia, whenever I ask the staff for a new glass, they look at me like I'm a pussy, and I get the feeling they are putting the cracked glass right back in service and not throwing it out.

Is asking for an uncracked glass an unreasonable request in Cambodia?
EDC
Expatriate
Australia

Post by EDC »

I’ve had cracked glasses a few times and they have been very quick to replace both glass and drink...just like anywhere else.

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Re: Would you drink out of a cracked glass in Cambodia?

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Cam Nivag wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:27 pm I don't like when restaurants serve me drinks in glasses that are cracked. But in Cambodia, whenever I ask the staff for a new glass, they look at me like I'm a pussy, and I get the feeling they are putting the cracked glass right back in service and not throwing it out.

pfft Pussy!! :pirat:
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

EDC wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:30 pm [Unsolicited texts]
Stop sending me so many damned unsolicited texts, EDC.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Cam Nivag wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:27 pm I don't like when restaurants serve me drinks in glasses that are cracked. But in Cambodia, whenever I ask the staff for a new glass, they look at me like I'm a pussy, and I get the feeling they are putting the cracked glass right back in service and not throwing it out.

No, I can't even remember the last time I was served a cracked glass and it's always been perfectly reasonable to send one back. Cambodians are pretty fussy themselves about this stuff and would never accept a cracked glass. Not wanting to slice your lips open is kind of universal.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

John Bingham wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:05 pm

No, I can't even remember the last time I was served a cracked glass and it's always been perfectly reasonable to send one back. Cambodians are pretty fussy themselves about this stuff and would never accept a cracked glass. Not wanting to slice your lips open is kind of universal.
Totally agree.
Captain Bonez
Baked
Nigeria

Post by Captain Bonez »

What you want to be careful of is any bartender who doesn't use an ice scoop for your drink and uses the glass you're going to drink from to scoop the ice instead. That can ever so slightly chip a glass in some cases and you don't want to be ingesting tiny pieces of broken glass to tear you up from the inside out.

If you enjoy noise pollution and obnoxious driving practices, Phnom Penh is the place for you!

This.
prahocalypse now
Expatriate
India

Post by prahocalypse now »

Cam Nivag wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:27 pm

I personally will not accept beverages served in cracked glasses at establishments that refuse to take payment in torn banknotes.
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

It depends:

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Prehaps we should expand on this question and ask if your drink was served in a cracked bottle or can would drink from it.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic