Kenyan Volunteer Asked to Show $1,000 USD at Phnom Penh Airport or She Can't Enter Cambodia

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Re: Kenyan Volunteer Asked to Show $1,000 USD at Phnom Penh Airport or She Can't Enter Cambodia

Post by hanno »

Duncan wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:47 pm
hanno wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:20 pm
bolueeleh wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:19 pmike i said u n i go to different airports, btw the video u posted is not even in asia, cheers mate :beer3:
Cash-sniffing dogs in Hong Kong.

So how do prostitutes get on going through the airport. They're always sitting on a bundle of money.
No idea as I am neither a prostitute nor sitting on large bundles of money :beer3:
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Re: Kenyan Volunteer Asked to Show $1,000 USD at Phnom Penh Airport or She Can't Enter Cambodia

Post by Barang chgout »

phuketrichard wrote:dogs are at magor airports hence reason i said nobody smuggles $$ anymore.
Much of the huge $$ smuggling in the early 2000 was the US,Canada an Oz back to asia
in the 80's, early 90's, it was inter asia ( Japan, Korea, Nepal, India) back to HK ( along with us, Canada, Oz)
with little or any being caught
one person could easily carry 50-$100,000+
anyone spending any time around Chung king mansion in HK in the 80-early 90's would know :plus1:
That's why they invented shipping containers!

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

angkorjohn
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by angkorjohn »

Cam Nivag wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:18 am In today's Post: https://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/ ... rimination
I bet Ramon is relieved that his name and business aren't mentioned there....
Jimmy Crow
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Jimmy Crow »

Good job immigration,all dark skinned Africans coming into Cambodia should be screened for infectious diseases and a criminal record check,make sure you have $1000 in hand!
and if you happen to be white and from Africa then make sure you have $2000
Everyone is equal. Everyone has a place. No one is written off, because there is worth and goodness in every life... That is the Republican ideal. And if we won't defend it, who will?
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

Jimmy Crow wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:59 am Good job immigration,all dark skinned Africans coming into Cambodia should be screened for infectious diseases and a criminal record check,make sure you have $1000 in hand!
and if you happen to be white and from Africa then make sure you have $2000
What kind of black are you? Are you the good black or a bad one? I spent 6 months in the Ironbound in Newark back in the 90s, the guy I lived with would hang around phonebooths watching people dial in their long distance numbers. He 'd memorise your shit from the corner of the room. He was a big ass Jamaican guy and he would always say - fuck African American shit, he was Jamaican not a fucking African. I was told by him not to walk home through main street because it weirded the coke dealers out. Kept on telling me to stop choking the ckicken. Pretty cool guy.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Kenyan calls her entry denial discrimination
19 July 2018
Officers at the Phnom Penh International Airport denied claims that a Kenyan woman was discriminated against on Monday, saying she was denied entry to the Kingdom for not meeting proper requirements.

Comments by the woman, Mwangi Mumbi Muthoni, which were published in an online forum for expatriates, said she was told she couldn’t enter the country without proving she had $1,000 in cash.

Despite having a valid e-visa, passport and a letter of invitation to volunteer, Muthoni was allegedly asked to prove she had available funds and told to fly back to Malaysia if she didn’t have the money.

“They said they wanted to see my bank account balance. I asked why, and they said they wanted to see if I had enough money to support myself,” she said, adding that she had $250, and 100 Malaysian ringgit on her.

An immigration officer based at the airport claimed she had been denied entry over fears she would stay illegally in the country. He denied that officials were presented with an invitation letter.

“She came and an officer questioned her. She did not have a clear purpose for entering the Kingdom and no invitation letter. She did not have money and said she had [some] on her bank card, but when we asked her to present it, she did not have that either."

“We suspect that she may have come here to look for work. If we allowed her to enter the Kingdom, we believe there would be problems in the event we had to deport her in future,” the officer said.
https://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/ ... rimination
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic