UK Tourist Visa for Khmer Girlfriend

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
chorlton
Expatriate
Virgin Islands (Brit)

UK Tourist Visa for Khmer Girlfriend

Post by chorlton »

I'm really struggling to find a weblink to UK embassy wish list to comply with.

She owns land with paperwork.
She owns a business with paperwork.
We rent a house with paperwork in joint names.
She owns a moto with id card.
Can prove supports mum.
Has bank account with funds.
Has passport and recently we've been to Malaysia, Thailand & laos without overstay.
We can prove relationship history with pictures, etc.
I can prove I have funds to support/sponsor.
She's no criminal history.

What else could UK embassy want to know for her to join me going home to sort some stuff?

Thanks in advance.
"Tolerance towards intolerance is cowardice"
- Ayaan Hirsi Ali
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: UK Tourist Visa for Khmer Girlfriend

Post by AndyKK »

I don't know if it works the same way here as it does in Thailand? I personally only have the experience of the same situation some years ago.
Do you yourself own or rent property in the UK.
Are you employed or a business owner, Retirement with private or government pension in the UK.
Are you a resident of the UK
Always "hope" but never "expect".
chorlton
Expatriate
Virgin Islands (Brit)

Post by chorlton »

AndyKK wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:36 pm I don't know if it works the same way here as it does in Thailand? I personally only have the experience of the same situation some years ago.
Are you employed or a business owner, Retirement with private or government pension in the UK.
im a uk passport holder
I sold my house 11/17
I sold my business 2/15
not retired or pension

I have vehicles in storage I intend to sell on return and some work I intend to do
in still registered as self employed and been paying uk tax & NI 6-monthly since left uk 1/11/16

I could get letters from the place I store vehicles & how I intend to do work with
if need be I could sort accommodation in advance with family

think that's enough?
"Tolerance towards intolerance is cowardice"
- Ayaan Hirsi Ali
walkjivefly
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by walkjivefly »

Sounds like you have enough evidence she'll leave at the end of the visit. The UK embassy don't trouble themselves with anything as menial as visa applications; they're far too busy quaffing canapes and champagne with whoever they do that vastly more important stuff with. You'll have to make an appointment with VFS in the Phnom Penh tower. VFS will only communicate by email and won't even let you in the building without an appointment. The email address is on the gov.uk website iirc.

Even if you get the visa, the Border Authority cunts at Heathrow etc can refuse to let her in if they feel like it.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

walkjivefly wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:01 am Sounds like you have enough evidence she'll leave at the end of the visit. The UK embassy don't trouble themselves with anything as menial as visa applications; they're far too busy quaffing canapes and champagne with whoever they do that vastly more important stuff with. You'll have to make an appointment with VFS in the Phnom Penh tower. VFS will only communicate by email and won't even let you in the building without an appointment. The email address is on the gov.uk website iirc.

Even if you get the visa, the Border Authority cunts at Heathrow etc can refuse to let her in if they feel like it.
Yes! Sounds pretty much the same. You have to convince them you have money and usually have an address. And most of all she will return back to Cambodia. The immigration did just that at the airport in the UK to my girlfriend, that's too long for a holiday. I intervened, but it could have gone terribly wrong.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

chorlton wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:43 pm
AndyKK wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:36 pm I don't know if it works the same way here as it does in Thailand? I personally only have the experience of the same situation some years ago.
im a uk passport holder
I sold my house 11/17
I sold my business 2/15
not retired or pension

I have vehicles in storage I intend to sell on return and some work I intend to do
in still registered as self employed and been paying uk tax & NI 6-monthly since left uk 1/11/16

I could get letters from the place I store vehicles & how I intend to do work with
if need be I could sort accommodation in advance with family

think that's enough?
Ask yourself first. Could she get a visa without you?
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

Actually my experience of the UK Border officials was positive, polite and professional. The main problem is when she does not understand them (can be Indian or African accent). Having said that, she can certainly be refused entry, I know of one case where this happened because one question was answered too candidly.
In my experience, there are basically two different approaches to getting a UK visa. One is to do one's best without professional advice, get refused but receive guidance from the Embassy on what is still needed. Reapply once or twice more and then succeed (unless there is a major impediment). This method costs time and repeat application fees. Second method is to know all the ins and outs and put in such a perfect application it cannot be refused (again, unless there is some major impediment). This method is quicker but costs professional advice fees. Of course some people use method one and it goes through first time because they are not missing much and the officer dealing with it is a little bit forgiving. There is no official webpage that tells you exactly what documents are required. To put in a perfect application, you need a lot.
The most common major impediment is when she has been to the UK before and she has not revealed this fact to anyone. You can look at her passport but she may have "lost" an earlier one.
VFS are just a collection and dispatch agency, the decision is made by staff at the Embassy (in Bangkok, not PP).
It has been a couple of years since I did an application (for my gf). My apologies if any of this is out of date.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

AndyKK wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:47 am
Ask yourself first. Could she get a visa without you?
Haha, of course she couldn't.
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Post by Cam Nivag »

armchairlawyer wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:10 pm Having said that, she can certainly be refused entry, I know of one case where this happened because one question was answered too candidly.
What question was answered too candidly?
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

armchairlawyer wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:10 pm Actually my experience of the UK Border officials was positive, polite and professional. The main problem is when she does not understand them (can be Indian or African accent). Having said that, she can certainly be refused entry, I know of one case where this happened because one question was answered too candidly.
In my experience, there are basically two different approaches to getting a UK visa. One is to do one's best without professional advice, get refused but receive guidance from the Embassy on what is still needed. Reapply once or twice more and then succeed (unless there is a major impediment). This method costs time and repeat application fees. Second method is to know all the ins and outs and put in such a perfect application it cannot be refused (again, unless there is some major impediment). This method is quicker but costs professional advice fees. Of course some people use method one and it goes through first time because they are not missing much and the officer dealing with it is a little bit forgiving. There is no official webpage that tells you exactly what documents are required. To put in a perfect application, you need a lot.
The most common major impediment is when she has been to the UK before and she has not revealed this fact to anyone. You can look at her passport but she may have "lost" an earlier one.
VFS are just a collection and dispatch agency, the decision is made by staff at the Embassy (in Bangkok, not PP).
It has been a couple of years since I did an application (for my gf). My apologies if any of this is out of date.
Addvice is good. I used a professional in Thailand. The cost total was @10.000baht. It was also a Thai company, included where accompanied visits to all departments in Bangkok and all paperwork in Thai and English, until she held the visa. No visa no pay.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic