Where do you buy large size clothes in Phnom Penh?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Re: Where do you buy large size clothes in Phnom Penh?

Post by StroppyChops »

Seriously, as a former Very Large Expat, don't try and buy clothes here if you're anything more than a true 3XL - get them made. Due to health issues I was a 7XL on arrival (and have since lost the extra 40kg) and so I know the frustration of finding a decent shirt that the neighbours don't ask to borrow to hold ceremonies in.

The problem you'll find is that manufacturers that make 3XL and above think that the wider a foreigner is, the taller he must be, so they scale up the templates they use for other garments until you end up with these billowing marquees that come down to your knees, with the pocket slightly above your navel, etc. Okay if you like mumus, but I don't.

As others have said, the sizing system is totally irrelevant above 2XL. You'll often find that the same shop has 4XL and 7XL shirts that are identical in size, with aggressive sellers constantly calling "I have your size, I have your size" as you walk past, in case anyone else in the vicinity has not yet realised you're bigger than most.

Go to Central Market, Orussey or Russian Market, and buy 2 metres of shirt fabric, pay 2.50 to 4.00 a meter depending on the quality, and give it to a tailor with a shirt you already own that fits well. Agree on $4 to $6 to have the shirt copied. Don't pay more than 50% deposit. Tell the tailor you want to check their work with one shirt, and will buy more later if you're happy. Expect to wait for three days.

I buy fabrics at Central, and use a tailor very near Orussey, and am happy with what I wear.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

"Sakura shops also, the latter is second-hand, no baller would admit to buying anything second hand."

Well, I only buy XL, so not much of a problem. I buy my t shirts at Sakura and find Japanese quality outstanding. Living in rural Cambodia I don't have to impress anyone and being retired I don't have to dress for interviews.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
badabing
Tourist
Australia

Post by badabing »

StroppyChops wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:47 pm Seriously, as a former Very Large Expat, don't try and buy clothes here if you're anything more than a true 3XL - get them made. Due to health issues I was a 7XL on arrival (and have since lost the extra 40kg) and so I know the frustration of finding a decent shirt that the neighbours don't ask to borrow to hold ceremonies in.

The problem you'll find is that manufacturers that make 3XL and above think that the wider a foreigner is, the taller he must be, so they scale up the templates they use for other garments until you end up with these billowing marquees that come down to your knees, with the pocket slightly above your navel, etc. Okay if you like mumus, but I don't.

As others have said, the sizing system is totally irrelevant above 2XL. You'll often find that the same shop has 4XL and 7XL shirts that are identical in size, with aggressive sellers constantly calling "I have your size, I have your size" as you walk past, in case anyone else in the vicinity has not yet realised you're bigger than most.

Go to Central Market, Orussey or Russian Market, and buy 2 metres of shirt fabric, pay 2.50 to 4.00 a meter depending on the quality, and give it to a tailor with a shirt you already own that fits well. Agree on $4 to $6 to have the shirt copied. Don't pay more than 50% deposit. Tell the tailor you want to check their work with one shirt, and will buy more later if you're happy. Expect to wait for three days.

I buy fabrics at Central, and use a tailor very near Orussey, and am happy with what I wear.
that's exccellent advice...i hadn't thought of buying the fabric before....i've only found one decent shirt off the rack in my times there! Need to fit over my belly!!! Will give it a shot next month and hopefully i can stock up!!
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Re: Where do you buy large size clothes in PP?

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Duncan wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:47 am
that genius wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:31 am Central Market has some XXL stuff, Sovanna main store upstairs has some, and Sakura shops also, the latter is second-hand, no baller would admit to buying anything second hand.

Tailor will make you pants for $20, shirts for $25
Watch the label size. as stuff that has a XXL label is more than likely to be equal to a L size back home
yeah ive bought XL shirts from central market before and they are a tight fit, even for me
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

i always get shirts fitted now, at the Tailors near Orussey Market, trying to find shirts that fit my stocky shoulders is a nightmare, even in England, shirts that comfortably fit my shoulders and 17.5 neck tend to be too long and like a bed sheet
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Felgerkarb
Expatriate

Post by Felgerkarb »

Ya, I have the same problem. Nothing fits, or if it does, the stomach area is huuuuuge. I stock up on underwear when I am back in the world, no point looking here.
===============
We are all puppets in the hands of an insane puppeteer...
--Brother Theodore
angkorjohn
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by angkorjohn »

How Large are we talking?

Zando and Closeout often have a decent range. I am normally an L and usually get stuff no probs although some XXLs are like an XS and vice versa but I would think most could find something to fit.....not sure about pants, have seen 40 inch shorts and Jeans but few and far between
Cougar.hunter
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Cougar.hunter »

I’m like 5’10 and weigh 170lbs and many XL or xxl shirts and sweaters fits me perfectly in Cambodia whereas in the states, that size would’ve been gown for me.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

StroppyChops wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:47 pm Due to health issues I was a 7XL on arrival

In all seriousness, jeebus, that's quite a few stone you lost. If I may, what was the health issue?
Ricky Dunn
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Ricky Dunn »

Thanks for the ideas - I went to Central and found one t-shirt that barely fits, I'll need to go the custom tailor route so any names of English speaking tailors anyone can recommend? BTW horrible food there.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic