Road Closures for National Election

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
kiwiincambodia
Expatriate
Korea North

Re: Road Closures for National Election

Post by kiwiincambodia »

John Bingham wrote:
kiwiincambodia wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:45 am The only “closures” came after the “riots” started and from memory it was only a short block or 3 of the riverside for a few hours.

If you mean closure as can’t move because the trucks and cars and bikes roaming around with speaker blaring than that’s another story.
Those disturbances happened long after the actual election.
Weren’t they the day after (the riverside one)?

I know the one out in stung meanchey(?)was a few days after the election.
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by fax »

2013 election day was 28th July, the Stung Meanchey riots erupted the same day https://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/ ... g-meanchey

Riverside water cannon and barbed wire incident was in September, 2013.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

epidemiks wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:08 pm When does the booze ban actually kick in? Friday night or Saturday night?
I believe it starts Saturday. Whether that's from Friday midnight or not I don't know.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

fax wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:32 pm 2013 election day was 28th July, the Stung Meanchey riots erupted the same day https://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/ ... g-meanchey

Riverside water cannon and barbed wire incident was in September, 2013.
Fair enough, I forgot about that smaller riot in Stung Meanchey where the car was torched.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

fax wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:32 pm 2013 election day was 28th July, the Stung Meanchey riots erupted the same day https://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/angry-

But with regard to the OP's question. I thought for sure that I remembered road closures or at least inspection points on main roads leading to PP, in the run up to the election.

Remember when people were flooding to the capital and choking Monivong Blvd with opposition marches and other related fervor, chanting "Doe, Doe!" in Khmer or something like that?
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by fax »

Brody wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:41 pm But with regard to the OP's question. I thought for sure that I remembered road closures or at least inspection points on main roads leading to PP, in the run up to the election.

Remember when people were flooding to the capital and choking Monivong Blvd with opposition marches and other related fervor, chanting "Doe, Doe!" in Khmer or something like that?
Russian blvd to freedom park was full of security and demonstrators upon Rainsy's pardon and subsequent return. The marches through Monivong didn't last long, it was freedom park and surrounding areas that were strong armed for a year until the "culture of dialogue" agreements were made and CNRP accepted their seats after the quick tour to Prey Sar, and so on...
Raksmey
Tourist
Cambodia

Post by Raksmey »

The road in front of the National Assembly might be shut? Was also thinking Sihanouk in front of HS place might be shut?
Regarding the booze: Ive heard from Spark/Twandang Brewery saying they will be closed on the 28 (i previously had a reservation there for that night and they called me earlier this week to tell me they will in fact be shut that night), Rosewood Hotel (once again contacted me to tell me my reservation had been canceled and that their bar on the 37 floor wouldn't be operational on the 28), and from another post here on CEO regarding alcohol consumption that the ban is usually for the day OF the election. So looks like July 28 most bars (keyword most here...i know i can still pop down to the irish place to get a drink, for fucks sake come to think of it the irish place wouldnt even close during the apocalypse) will be shut and/or restaurants wont be openly serving booze. Stock up bois!
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

I know my usual low class haunts will be selling. As long as no one drinks from a bag while sitting on a kerb I feel risk is minimal.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

last election was in PP and NO roads were closed, if they had been then the hundreds,thousands of kids on motorcycles with banners and such riding aorund, wouldn't have been.

Hope its at lease as exciting/fun as it was last time..
For me,its the only reason i will be in PP this trip
that and to stock upon cheap prescription drugs LOL

wont bars be closed ONLY election day
the 29th?
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
drozd
Expatriate
Mexico

Post by drozd »

Raksmey wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:17 am during the national election July 28 if there will be road closures during the day, night...
Thanks bongs
-Raksmey
The election is held July 29th.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic