Wedding Party without marriage

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Genti
Expatriate
Switzerland

Wedding Party without marriage

Post by Genti »

hello together

I am new to this forum because on the other Khmer forum there is not a lot of activity. I have searched this forum using "wedding" as a search pattern, i found a lot of Information, but not excatly the Information i was Looking for.

I am Swiss, 50 1/2 years old, Living in Switzerland, visiting Cambodia 4-6 times a year. Next year i will marry my cambodian girlfriend in Switzerland. She has been to Switzerland several times, so we will apply for a longterm stay Visum and she will move to Switzerland. Since I am over 50 years old we can not do the marriage in Cambodia, so we will do it in Switzerland.

Before we leave for Switzerland we like to do a wedding party in the Province or in the City. But at this time, we will not be married yet (as you remeber, we have to do it in Switzerland). People telling a lot of stories, you can not do that, the Police will Arrest you because you do the wedding party without the wedding, you need a confirmation letter from the Village boss, this will cost you 1000$ because you are a barang, etc etc.

So Maybe you guys can help me with some advise, based on your Experience. We like to do a party with her Family and Friends, my family and closest Friends from Europe will join the party in Cambodia. We like to wear Khmer dresses, music, some ceremonies like the blessing of the monks, cutting the hair, etc. Maybe one day/evening. Her Family is used to western culture and is fine with a western/Khmer style party. It should be a fun day for all of us.

Any advise is welcome.
- are we facing ony Problems?
- do you recommend a wedding planer? if so, ony recommendation for Pursat Province or Phnom Penh?

And one additional Question: the Swiss marriage certificate can be recognized by the Foreign Affirs Ministry. Is this a Problem if i am over 50 years old?

thank you,
Reto
kiwiincambodia
Expatriate
Korea North

Re: Wedding Party without marriage

Post by kiwiincambodia »

Not sure but why not do an “engagement party” instead.

It has the same fanfare without the paperwork. I know people who have done this in the past but am unsure if this still works now as the people I know did this before the rule change.
Genti
Expatriate
Switzerland

Post by Genti »

thank you, we can call it engagement party and do an engagement party... we can do a family celebration or birthday party, but i guess as soon as people see the dresses, photographer, barangs, they will know...
Felgerkarb
Expatriate

Post by Felgerkarb »

Just call it an engagement party, but do all the same things. It still works, been to plenty of these since the changes -- last one was in April this year. Big shindig at one of those wedding factories between two in exactly the same situation as yourself. No issues.
===============
We are all puppets in the hands of an insane puppeteer...
--Brother Theodore
kiwiincambodia
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by kiwiincambodia »

Felgerkarb wrote:Just call it an engagement party, but do all the same things. It still works, been to plenty of these since the changes -- last one was in April this year. Big shindig at one of those wedding factories between two in exactly the same situation as yourself. No issues.
Good to know nothing has changed.

I haven’t personally been to any since the change but thought it wouldn’t have made much difference.
Genti
Expatriate
Switzerland

Post by Genti »

Engagement Party sounds good for us. But now i have the next question: can someone help me with more Information about a engangement Party? and can someone recomend a wedding planer in pursat or pp?

thank you
Reto
Kayve
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kayve »

Genti wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:54 pm Engagement Party sounds good for us. But now i have the next question: can someone help me with more Information about a engangement Party? and can someone recomend a wedding planer in pursat or pp?

thank you
Reto
http://www.sereimongkul.com.kh
They are the official wedding planner when you do it at Koh Pich Exposition Halls.

They might be quite expensive but at least they can really take care of everything. (or so I heard)
Don't forget the water buffalo
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Ensure your family obtain a permission from the Sangkat for the "engagement" party, this will involve a little tea money, you'll also be required to pay for "security" (a few cops who will sit around drinking your beer and eating your food).

With regards to having your foreign marriage recognised here, it was possible but several recent first hand reports indicate that it is no longer possible.
Genti
Expatriate
Switzerland

Post by Genti »

Thank you guys for all your advise.

My gf talked to the Boss of the Village and he give his okay for the engagement party. She needed a bunch of papers for the wedding visa application and the okay was included in the little tea money they took. I will be back in Cambodia in September, then i will verify this and ask for a written permission. And i will doublecheck about the security, i don't mind if a few cops sit around and eat and drink - there will be a lot of Khmer guest i will not know, but this is fine. It is Cambodia and we decided to do the party in Cambodia, so i have to deal with the consequences.

The next challenge is to find a reliable wedding planer/company for the tent, tables, food, toilet, etc.

regarding the marriage recognition, what disadvantage do i have without it? or vis versa, what advantage would i have? I guess this is important for the visa. anyway, i will check this with the embassy here.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

No real advantage to having your marriage recognised here.

With regards to wedding/party planner...leave it up to your wife and her family, don't try getting involved.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic