Wedding Party without marriage

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Re: Wedding Party without marriage

Post by Duncan »

Tombain51 wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:33 am I did it a few years ago and never had a problem. We later got married properly in Australia. Having a wedding party in Cambodia give the lady face in her village. We went through many dress phases during the day long ceremony including western wedding dress. We didn't pay any money. The only thing that did happen was that we were told that wedding cakes are not part of Cambodian culture so we'd have to pay $250 if we wanted to have one. We gave everyone fruit instead, which I think went down very well with the guests.

P.S. 5 years and 2 kids later we got divorced in Australia. We share custody of the kids 50/50 but I have considerably less asset now! A cautionary tale?!

How much did it cost for the wedding compared to the cost of the divorce?
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Genti wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:14 pm Hi Guys, time passes and here is the next update... in the mean time my girlfriend/fiance got her passport back with the national visa to travel to Switzerland for weeding and longterm stay. Soon she is moving to Switzerland and after the wedding in Switzerland with the confirmation of the "Zivilstandsamt" she will get her permament visa. Keep you updated :)

PS: Kammekor: still waiting for the whole Swiss cheese :D
Congratulations! I will be in Phnom Penh next Monday and will try to find you one nice Swiss cheese. Or PM me a delivery address in Switserland and I send a Dutch cheese in April.

Just wondered how you got around the fact the MoFA in Phnom Penh won't issue proof of being single for your wife. I can't imagine it's not needed in Switserland, nor can I imagine a local document from the Sangkat will be accepted in Switzerland.
Funflyer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Funflyer »

The wedding cost equates to .04% of the divorce cost!
RickyBobby
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by RickyBobby »

Just get the legal permit for the engagement party. It doesn't seem to be a big deal, and the last thing you want is the cops showing up at your party.
"Dear Lord Baby Jesus, Lyin in a Manger"
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

Kammekor wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:14 am
Genti wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:14 pm Hi Guys, time passes and here is the next update... in the mean time my girlfriend/fiance got her passport back with the national visa to travel to Switzerland for weeding and longterm stay. Soon she is moving to Switzerland and after the wedding in Switzerland with the confirmation of the "Zivilstandsamt" she will get her permament visa. Keep you updated :)

PS: Kammekor: still waiting for the whole Swiss cheese :D
Congratulations! I will be in Phnom Penh next Monday and will try to find you one nice Swiss cheese. Or PM me a delivery address in Switserland and I send a Dutch cheese in April.

Just wondered how you got around the fact the MoFA in Phnom Penh won't issue proof of being single for your wife. I can't imagine it's not needed in Switserland, nor can I imagine a local document from the Sangkat will be accepted in Switzerland.
ep. had same problem. there are apparently 2 versions of the celibacy form. One is issued by the village for employment as in proof you have no husband whose permission is needed, and the other from the MFA for marriage which they will not give for marriage abroad. the only place I found where this document is not required is Aero isalnd in Denmark.
I am more concerned about how he is going to manage the engagement party. There have been reports recently of the police breaking them up. he is 50+ therefore he is over 50, even if he is 50 and a half therefore he cannot get married and therfore he cannot get engaged either. I think he needs to check it otu with local commune and police first
Genti
Expatriate
Switzerland

Post by Genti »

Hi Guys

so at the end everything worked well and was not a problem. It toke some time and i may got more grey hairs, but it is possible. So don't let people fool you, if you want to do it - it is possible. everyone has to decided for themselve it is a smart idea or not.

we had a great wedding on the farm from the family of my future wife. it startet 08:00am with the monks blessing and ended about 1:30am because the guys with the sound system were drunk and wanted to go home. everything worked well, the food was excellent, everything was there on time and me and my friends and family hat an amazing experience.

Now we are in Switzerland, next month is the wedding here in switzerland and after the wedding my wife will get her permament visa for switzerland (without travelling back). the last thing we have to do is go to the cambodian embassy within 14days of the wedding to show the paper. even if our marriage will not be recognize (since i am over 50 years old).

best regards
Genti

PS: @Kammekor: "I bet you a whole Swiss cheese there's not going to be marriage in Switzerland because they will ask for papers your fiancee can't provide because of strict Cambodian laws" -> still waiting for the swiss cheese :)
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Congratulations on your wedding. Wish both of you a long and happy future together.

It appears that your future wife is more savvy about navigating Cambodian bureaucracy then some more our resident expats on this board.

Glad it all worked out.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Genti wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 10:52 pm Hi Guys

so at the end everything worked well and was not a problem. It toke some time and i may got more grey hairs, but it is possible. So don't let people fool you, if you want to do it - it is possible. everyone has to decided for themselve it is a smart idea or not.

we had a great wedding on the farm from the family of my future wife. it startet 08:00am with the monks blessing and ended about 1:30am because the guys with the sound system were drunk and wanted to go home. everything worked well, the food was excellent, everything was there on time and me and my friends and family hat an amazing experience.

Now we are in Switzerland, next month is the wedding here in switzerland and after the wedding my wife will get her permament visa for switzerland (without travelling back). the last thing we have to do is go to the cambodian embassy within 14days of the wedding to show the paper. even if our marriage will not be recognize (since i am over 50 years old).

best regards
Genti

PS: @Kammekor: "I bet you a whole Swiss cheese there's not going to be marriage in Switzerland because they will ask for papers your fiancee can't provide because of strict Cambodian laws" -> still waiting for the swiss cheese :)
Great news. Thanks for sharing. And congratulations to you both. :beer3:
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

I am more concerned about how he is going to manage the engagement party. There have been reports recently of the police breaking them up. he is 50+ therefore he is over 50, even if he is 50 and a half therefore he cannot get married and therfore he cannot get engaged either. I think he needs to check it otu with local commune and police first
the last thing we have to do is go to the Cambodian embassy within 14days of the wedding to show the paper. even if our marriage will not be recognize (since i am over 50 years old).
NO problem now :beer3:
As the over 50 has been officially null and void, it seems it might be easy to register ur marriage in Switzerland.
AND if ur in Cambodia to to get the single certificate an have ur engagement party /wedding in Cambodia.

https://www.embassyofcambodiadc.org/blo ... dian-women
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

For anyone that doesn't want to click on the above link, here is the official line on the age requirement for marrying a Khmer.

@Kammekor will be fuming.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic