Wedding Party without marriage

This is a part of our Cambodia forums to chat about anything, whether it relates to Cambodia or not. This discussion forum is at the top of our site because it's usually the busiest part of the expat community chatter with random topics on just about everything, including expat life, Khmer politics, Cambodian blogs we have or have come across, or whatever else our members want to discuss. Whether you're an expatriate, tourist, Cambodian or random traveler just passing through South East Asia, you are welcome to talk about anything or start new topics yourselves.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Re: Wedding Party without marriage

Post by Duncan » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:22 am

Tombain51 wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:33 am
I did it a few years ago and never had a problem. We later got married properly in Australia. Having a wedding party in Cambodia give the lady face in her village. We went through many dress phases during the day long ceremony including western wedding dress. We didn't pay any money. The only thing that did happen was that we were told that wedding cakes are not part of Cambodian culture so we'd have to pay $250 if we wanted to have one. We gave everyone fruit instead, which I think went down very well with the guests.

P.S. 5 years and 2 kids later we got divorced in Australia. We share custody of the kids 50/50 but I have considerably less asset now! A cautionary tale?!

How much did it cost for the wedding compared to the cost of the divorce?
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:14 am

Genti wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:14 pm
Hi Guys, time passes and here is the next update... in the mean time my girlfriend/fiance got her passport back with the national visa to travel to Switzerland for weeding and longterm stay. Soon she is moving to Switzerland and after the wedding in Switzerland with the confirmation of the "Zivilstandsamt" she will get her permament visa. Keep you updated :)

PS: Kammekor: still waiting for the whole Swiss cheese :D
Congratulations! I will be in Phnom Penh next Monday and will try to find you one nice Swiss cheese. Or PM me a delivery address in Switserland and I send a Dutch cheese in April.

Just wondered how you got around the fact the MoFA in Phnom Penh won't issue proof of being single for your wife. I can't imagine it's not needed in Switserland, nor can I imagine a local document from the Sangkat will be accepted in Switzerland.
Tombain51
Tourist
Australia

Post by Tombain51 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:51 pm

The wedding cost equates to .04% of the divorce cost!
RickyBobby
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by RickyBobby » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:06 am

Just get the legal permit for the engagement party. It doesn't seem to be a big deal, and the last thing you want is the cops showing up at your party.
"Dear Lord Baby Jesus, Lyin in a Manger"
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:13 am

Kammekor wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:14 am
Genti wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:14 pm
Hi Guys, time passes and here is the next update... in the mean time my girlfriend/fiance got her passport back with the national visa to travel to Switzerland for weeding and longterm stay. Soon she is moving to Switzerland and after the wedding in Switzerland with the confirmation of the "Zivilstandsamt" she will get her permament visa. Keep you updated :)

PS: Kammekor: still waiting for the whole Swiss cheese :D
Congratulations! I will be in Phnom Penh next Monday and will try to find you one nice Swiss cheese. Or PM me a delivery address in Switserland and I send a Dutch cheese in April.

Just wondered how you got around the fact the MoFA in Phnom Penh won't issue proof of being single for your wife. I can't imagine it's not needed in Switserland, nor can I imagine a local document from the Sangkat will be accepted in Switzerland.
ep. had same problem. there are apparently 2 versions of the celibacy form. One is issued by the village for employment as in proof you have no husband whose permission is needed, and the other from the MFA for marriage which they will not give for marriage abroad. the only place I found where this document is not required is Aero isalnd in Denmark.
I am more concerned about how he is going to manage the engagement party. There have been reports recently of the police breaking them up. he is 50+ therefore he is over 50, even if he is 50 and a half therefore he cannot get married and therfore he cannot get engaged either. I think he needs to check it otu with local commune and police first
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic