Phnom Penh tops Best Places to Retire on $30,000 a Year

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Phnom Penh tops Best Places to Retire on $30,000 a Year

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

July 3, 2018

If you are worried you don’t have $30,000 a year to retire, there are still spots where you can live well on a modest budget—like super-affordable, exotic Cambodia. For the third year in a row, Cambodia claims top spot in the cost of living category in IL’s Annual Global Retirement Index.

Phnom Penh

San Diego-native Tom Richter lives in Phnom Penh, Cambodia’s capital city. “This country has made me feel 15 years younger, compared with living in the States,” Tom says. “I made the right decision coming here, and I know it.

“My check from Social Security comes to just over $1,000 per month. But in Phnom Penh that’s a sizable amount.”

Mafra, Portugal

The town is a low-key place of white-washed houses trimmed in yellow and blue, lining narrow cobbled streets. The scent of grilling sardines is ever-present in the air, along with the sound of laughter and clinking glasses in the village’s many cafés and bars.

Here, a couple can live well on a monthly budget of $2,034.

Cuenca, Ecuador

A couple can enjoy a wonderful retirement on $1,680 per month in Cuenca, excluding travel—which can vary greatly from household to household, depending on your lifestyle.

Central Valley, Costa Rica

A single person can live on between $1,500 and $1,800 a month. Some single people scrape by on considerably less, and others spend hundreds of dollars more. In most cases a couple can live well on $2,000 per month and even better on $2,500. It depends on your lifestyle.

Pedasí, Panama

The Gaults own their own home and car and Jim says, “I’m collecting my Social Security and we live comfortably on $2,000 a month, including several trips within Panama and one trip abroad per year.

Full https://internationalliving.com/5-best- ... 00-a-year/
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Re: Phnom Penh tops Best Places to Retire on $30,000 a Year

Post by that genius »

Best way to fuck up the place, publish a report overseas.

Not aimed at you, KfH
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

Is Mehico getting a bit too rough, then? Portugal is in the euro so it's not going to be that cheap. Bulgaria and Romania are becoming quite popular, so are the Baltic countries if you don't mind it getting a bit chilly. Apparently Goa has gone to shit these days, that used to be popular, too.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

30.000 per year retirements. 1.000 per week for Phnom Penh?
I don't know what World wide incomes would be. State pension for brits come in at under @1.000. So what would the alternative be. Stay in the home country or rough it in Cambodia?
Always "hope" but never "expect".
shnoukieBRO
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by shnoukieBRO »

Based on the verdict on the report it's obviously a crap one.😂
violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

Where's the best place for those that have 30k for their entire retirement years?
Last edited by violet on Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
Artful Dodger
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Artful Dodger »

I saw the topic of this thread and was prompted to say something... then I read the thread and convinced I have to say something...

Can''t remember his name nor his business name... Opposite GSM.. has a small bar. First met him 2 years ago. Lives upstairs... He told me he loses money at his bar at a rate of $200 a month, but compared to renting an apartment and food and so on, he was effectively living very comfortably in Cambodia for $200 a month.
Water quenches the thirst, alcohol releases the truth.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

violet wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:31 pm Where's the best place for those that have 30k for their entire retirement years?

In your case, the best place would probably be sitting on a bar stool waiting for a rich man.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

Duncan wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:23 pm
violet wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:31 pm Where's the best place for those that have 30k for their entire retirement years?

In your case, the best place would probably be sitting on a bar stool waiting for a rich man.

We've not met then?
I'll get in before the haters and say, I'll be waiting a bloody long time.

I'm really not what men are looking for here.
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

violet wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:30 pmI'm really not what men are looking for here.
You make it sound like a bad thing

why?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic