Death or Cambodia? Some refugees prefer the death option

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Mr Curious
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Death or Cambodia? Some refugees prefer the death optio

Post by Mr Curious »

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

many countries are being overburdened by this. The costs to California alone are astronomical. They even come pregnant so the baby is American. Florida schools in Miami area are paying something like 9 thousand each extra cost in teaching non english speakers and trying to add so much space/teachers doing double duty, etc. And that's just over the recent wave of kids from central america.
If nothing is done about inept, corrupt, downright criminal governments in the end thousands will flee. and they ain't going to Pakistan or Antarctica.

If too many ppl get in a lifeboat, It sinks and all die.
Population control would be a nice way to curb this but no way it'll happen.
In my mind this is as big a problem as pollution/global warming.

Perhaps ppl from America, England, Australia, etc. will end up repopulating Africa after HIV and Ebola have had their run. This time might be like the meteor event and the dinosaurs.

They won't go home, consider the mindset and origins. They'll end up paying corruption money, buying rank and being your landlord. :P
Dr Anik
Expatriate

Post by Dr Anik »

Some redneski views here.. :facepalm:

No obvious solution here but I don't think people should be sent somewhere against their will. They are looking for a better life, and should not be denied that.
Last edited by Dr Anik on Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Soi Dog
Expatriate

Post by Soi Dog »

Dr Anik wrote:Some redneski views.. :facepalm:

No obvious solution here but I don't think people should be sent somewhere against their will.
So making a general statement like that which says nothing and solves nothing makes you not a redneski, I guess. Don't we feel so smug and superior?
Dr Anik
Expatriate

Post by Dr Anik »

No, I don't feel smug and superior.
Soi Dog
Expatriate

Post by Soi Dog »

Dr Anik wrote:Some redneski views here.. :facepalm:

No obvious solution here but I don't think people should be sent somewhere against their will. They are looking for a better life, and should not be denied that.
Well everyone can't migrate to wherever they want, as it's not fair to those already there, is it? Ask the native Italian inhabitants of Lampedusa Island. Ask locals at Calais, France, who are swamped with African and Arab migrants trying to get to the UK. Ask those who have to feed and house the tens of thousands of Central American children whose parents sent them across the border with nothing. That's MY tax money paying for them.

What country are you from? I hope all the world's illegal migrants make their way to your home and you are free to welcome them with open arms and open wallet to your liberal heart's desire.
Dr Anik wrote:No, I don't feel smug and superior.
Good. I'm sure you meant "redneski" as a compliment to those whose opinions are contrary to your own but just as worthy and valid without any hint of condescension whatsoever.
badneighour
Expatriate
Falkland Islands

Post by badneighour »

Soi Dog wrote:I think this farce perpetrated by these self-titled "political refugees", who claim to be afraid of being killed by the brutal regimes of their home countries, is being exposed as bullshit. They are clearly economic refugees, who want to live a lifestyle they've seen on TV. If you are so in fear for your life, you don't threaten to kill yourself.

shame they did not just kill themselves back home and they could have donated the 1000's of dollars they paid to ppl traffickers to get them to Oz...Cambodia is safe...if your not happy fuck off back to where you came from ...
badneighour
Expatriate
Falkland Islands

Post by badneighour »

I think I left the UK because of mass immigration and the effect it had on me...feeling and sometimes being told that it is not my area in London, even though... 40 years before I knew every single family along my street....
taranis
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by taranis »

404 Not Found
Last edited by taranis on Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
God Forgives. I don't!
UKJ
Expatriate

Post by UKJ »

Soi Dog wrote: Ask locals at Calais, France, who are swamped with African and Arab migrants trying to get to the UK. Ask those who have to feed and house the tens of thousands of Central American children whose parents sent them across the border with nothing. That's MY tax money paying for them.
Africans come here on holiday, and leave their kids and go home! They leave them with other Africans. So we educate them and give them healthcare. In return though, we get called racist at every opportunity. It makes it all worthwhile!
VLayHo-ho-ho
Expatriate
Philippines

Post by VLayHo-ho-ho »

A recap of the goings on in Cambodia with Nauru and Australia.

The latest (26th Sept.) from the Bangkok Post (actually syndicated from AFP);
http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/asia/43 ... -this-year
Australia plans to start sending asylum-seekers to Cambodia by the end of the year and will pay the Southeast Asian nation Aus$40 million (US$35 million) to accept them...

The PPP from last thursday (2nd Oct):
http://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/n ... ndemns-aus
A former mental health worker at Australia’s detention centre ...of Nauru has condemned Canberra’s policies towards asylum seekers following allegations of sexual abuse and an outbreak of self-harm and attempted suicide at the facility...
since inmates there were told they would be resettled in Cambodia.
The public knowledge was that said refugees volunteered to come to Cambodia. Other sources state that the refugees were made aware of the situation before [the 2nd October].
Something's not right.
There was no sarcasm or malice intended during the making of this post.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic