question about goats

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Re: question about goats

Post by Duncan »

And here is the cured skin used as a mat.

Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
DrDisFunkShunAll
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by DrDisFunkShunAll »

Goats are awesome.

Tasty, too.

Looks easy tto care for them except during the rut, when they can they get aggro.

Weeds grow all over here, just teach one sr. bull goat to care for the kids, then set them free!

They'll often run a circuit they know. Auto-pilot!

A neighbor grows some (healthy ones) in a lightly populated area, I think two breeds. Darker goats may be tastier.

Kinda fun, keeps the weeds down (free feed!) and low maintenance.

Once in a while, a tasty bonanza or a a bit of cash ...

Prized imports breed plenty good healthy kids ...
Yes, the Doctor is IN — Doctor DisFunkShunAll!

:fool: :good: =@ :P
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

I had to dig deep for this one. It was actually my first visit to Sihanoukville. Many of you may recognise the place, the old goat here took a certain dislike to a young lady feeding the monkeys. I only wish I had snapped the photo when the animal was on it's hind legs while the lady was wrestling with it's horns. The goat just didn't want to give up. In the end several Khmer guys intervened while the lady escaped in a tuk tuk.
Has for me eating goat, many times in India, and also Tottenham London. Goat curries are a amazing taste.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
kocdim
Expatriate
Fiji

Post by kocdim »

Ok Thanks all for the feedback. I was just wondering if it is feasible business to have 100-200 head of goats in Cambodia.
Here is some pictures in the context of the story.

that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

StroppyChops wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:11 pm There are herds of goats roaming around the Oudong village on the other side of the mountain. They look like boer crossed with saanan goats.
Paul Kruger would not be happy.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

kocdim wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:13 pm Ok Thanks all for the feedback. I was just wondering if it is feasible business to have 100-200 head of goats in Cambodia.

Nice photos. Have you the land for so many goats.
Also do you know of costs, and anywhere to buy so many?
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

In Africa, goats have been blamed for desertification...they eat even the roots of plants, climb low trees to eat leaves..after they have finished, there is nothing left
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

I think even if u farm them just for milk and cheese, it could be very profitable
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

that genius wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:33 pm In Africa, goats have been blamed for desertification...they eat even the roots of plants, climb low trees to eat leaves..after they have finished, there is nothing left
So in theory they can eat themselves to death. I was thinking of that other thread. The one with the land for offer for a four year period, on condition of keeping the vegetation down. Goats may probably do it. Because I thought about the conditions there and not even thinking about working it out. I think it would be impossible.
kocdim
Expatriate
Fiji

Post by kocdim »

AndyKK wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:32 pm
kocdim wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:13 pm Ok Thanks all for the feedback. I was just wondering if it is feasible business to have 100-200 head of goats in Cambodia.

Nice photos. Have you the land for so many goats.
Also do you know of costs, and anywhere to buy so many?
Next year I plan to by 2-7 hectares of land. I know little about goats. I use to have chicken and 5-7 goats. I will roll the dice. I plan to import from Australia if is possible to import here. I think is fine though. Pure bread. It doesnt require lot of work. BUT you have to be careful with this animals. If they go free they will eat anything. Including the neighbor manga, papaya etc:) thats the only problem with goats. Assuming you have proper shelter (they get sick from rain)
Last edited by kocdim on Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic