ACE craziness (Australian Centre for Education in Phnom Penh)

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

ACE craziness (Australian Centre for Education in Phnom Penh)

Post by newkidontheblock »

Missus just started on an ACE program for English. This is the aussie version of English. Was just discussing her first class. She wanted me to go over her homework assignment before class this afternoon.

Lots of words and ideas I don’t have a clue about. Like ‘take away’ and ‘beet root’ and ‘courgette’. Totally unhelpful for her future life.

Should I tell her to stick with it until she starts greeting me with ‘G’day mate’ and telling me that I am a ‘Sheila’ when she gets angry? Or should I tell her to bail?
violet
Expatriate

Re: ACE craziness

Post by violet »

Really?
Well, many students state they hope to study abroad at an Aussie university in the future, therefore they are getting the appropriate language for that country. Got to aim for the masses, not the exceptions like your wife.

I suppose the teacher could give bogan, yank and chav versions for all multi identity items. I often find myself (outside of a classroom) saying thongs, jandals, flip flops, whatever; or lounge, lounge room, sitting room, front room, whatever.
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
Bob tailcat
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Bob tailcat »

Remind us all what the A stands for in ACE.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

newkidontheblock wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:51 am Missus just started on an ACE program for English. This is the aussie version of English. Was just discussing her first class. She wanted me to go over her homework assignment before class this afternoon.

Lots of words and ideas I don’t have a clue about. Like ‘take away’ and ‘beet root’ and ‘courgette’. Totally unhelpful for her future life.

Should I tell her to stick with it until she starts greeting me with ‘G’day mate’ and telling me that I am a ‘Sheila’ when she gets angry? Or should I tell her to bail?
Remember what you learnt at school ? About 90 % was rubbish and not needed or used in your lifetime. It was all about training your brain, connecting the dots,
and making those connections in your brain. If she wants to learn by herself in the future then there has to be something / someone to teach her how to learn and that is what she is going through now.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

Not too many other decent alternatives available in Phnom Penh

If she attends some inferior language school they will give her a book which is heavily American or Brit culture oriented, then she will learn about baseball and US history or some PC crap from Chavland

Six of one, half dozen of t'other
prahocalypse now
Expatriate
India

Post by prahocalypse now »

newkidontheblock wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:51 am
Lots of words and ideas I don’t have a clue about. Like ...‘beet root’.

Beetroot is one word.
Lots of words and ideas I don’t have a clue about. Like … ‘courgette’.

Australians call this vegetable a zucchini.
https://shop.coles.com.au/a/a-national/ ... ini-squash
Last edited by prahocalypse now on Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Post by epidemiks »

newkidontheblock wrote:Missus just started on an ACE program for English. This is the aussie version of English. Was just discussing her first class. She wanted me to go over her homework assignment before class this afternoon.

Something definitely wrong:
Courgette is never used in Australia. They're zucchini. Beetroot has no space between.

However, I use take away a lot here, it's widely understood.
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

prahocalypse now wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:11 am Beetroot is one word.
Unless one is really perverted, yes.
Beerinthemorning
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Beerinthemorning »

You tink too mutt
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

prahocalypse now wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:11 am
Lots of words and ideas I don’t have a clue about. Like ...‘beet root’.

Beetroot is one word.
Lots of words and ideas I don’t have a clue about. Like … ‘courgette’.

Australians call this vegetable a zucchini.
https://shop.coles.com.au/a/a-national/ ... ini-squash
Zucchini is also standard American English. I suspect they are using Headway textbooks, a British product.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic