ACE craziness (Australian Centre for Education in Phnom Penh)

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: ACE craziness (Australian Centre for Education in Phnom Penh)

Post by taabarang »

newkidontheblock wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:16 am She’s not the type to complain. Or want to cause anyone to lose face. Going to ACE administration may cause them to lose face.

To paraphrase Conan the Barbarian, I complain for her.

Plus everyone on CEO has such enlightened insights.
Assuming your complaints have merit that would seem to be an appropriate plan of action. If they have no merit you will lose face. Sometimes losing face prevents people from having two of them. I agree that ACE has a good rep, however I feel they sometimes lean on it too much that it has become a carpet to sweep complaints under.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

It’s getting better. Went over homework with missus at 3 am (Cambodian time), because she couldn’t sleep. Assignment was word match words that are finance related words.

For example, you want to buy a house in the future. Will you save a part of your paycheck for a house, invest a part of your paycheck for a house, etc. 20 words, 20 sentence match. Single word use. All the words are subtle with multiple meanings. Many words can be used interchangeably depending on the situation.

Really good stuff now.
Cinnamoncat
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Cinnamoncat »

I taught for ACE from 1994 through about 1998, and was also part of the administrative team there (logistics coordinator, workplace English coordinator). Bearing in mind that was a long time ago, I've kept in touch with a few old teacher friends and keep an eye on the school website.

As an American from the U.S., I worked hard with the Headway program, and didn't find it too different. I explained to students differences between U.S. English and Australian English, and we also talked about Irish, Scottish, Canadian, and NZ English.

There was an American school in P Penh, but it wasn't nearly as good. In fact, ACE was the best school in Cambodia at the time for people who wanted to learn English, and a lot of Khmer friends went there. We funded some to go there, too. Level 7, when I taught there, was intermediate--just out of levels 4, 5, 6, considered pre-intermediate and also the levels I liked teaching the most.

School is hard. I'm sorry to hear your gf is waking up at 3 AM to "do" school and to worry about the challenging differences between "saving" and "investing," but I also think it's great that she has a native speaker of English at home that can help guide and support her.

My advice would be to take a deep breath and to remember that she doesn't have to be a "perfect" student, just a committed one. In my time at ACE, few people actually failed classes. And someone pointing her out as aggressive? perhaps you need to teach her the difference between assertive and aggressive. To a Khmer male teacher, perhaps she would be considered aggressive. This is culturally rather insulting, I'm sure, and it sounds like her feelings were hurt.

Keep listening to her, and encourage her along. Remind her that up north, the Khmers speak a different kind of language than they do in the city of P Penh too. You say tomato, I say tomahto kind of thing. Let her know as well that she's got to develop a thick skin (uh oh, an idiom!) if she's going to be moving to the states. She's going to have to be assertive (or aggressive, even) at some point.

Best of luck.
"Love and Loss in Cambodia: a memoir" available on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0578537788
Cinnamoncat
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Cinnamoncat »

Side note: I would offer to tutor her, but I actually have a graduate degree in teaching, and pretty sure I would be too expensive for what her needs are. Remember there are lots of online sources too. Bet you're already accessing some of those.
"Love and Loss in Cambodia: a memoir" available on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0578537788
cambo swa
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by cambo swa »

Courtesy of the late, great Robin Williams: Australian language = English + Redneck. And the Aussie PM was actually serious about receiving an apology from Mr. Williams.
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

newkidontheblock wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:55 am It’s getting better. Went over homework with missus at 3 am (Cambodian time), because she couldn’t sleep. Assignment was word match words that are finance related words.

For example, you want to buy a house in the future. Will you save a part of your paycheck for a house, invest a part of your paycheck for a house, etc. 20 words, 20 sentence match. Single word use. All the words are subtle with multiple meanings. Many words can be used interchangeably depending on the situation.

Really good stuff now.
I really think you should ask to meet the teacher. No reasonable educator will refuse to meet, or adapt certain strategies and materials PROVIDED that your approach is respectful and sensitive. I would:

1) edit the title of the thread to reflect this, and
2) make an appointment to see the teacher

If you highlight what you consider to be 'craziness' (I suggest you say there are some things YOU do not understand as a layman) and ask how you can assist the teacher, you will be surprised at the results.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Cinnamoncat wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:30 am There was an American school in P Penh, but it wasn't nearly as good.
*ahem*, your ex, Ken, actually worked at The American School in 1994 for a short time.

:bow:

btw, The American School is still open. In the little street next to Hun To's old house near the Bokor intersection.
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

St 71 or 73, iirc?
prahocalypse now
Expatriate
India

Post by prahocalypse now »

newkidontheblock wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:55 am It’s getting better. Went over homework with missus at 3 am (Cambodian time), because she couldn’t sleep. Assignment was word match words that are finance related words.

Really good stuff now.
If I had a young, attractive Cambodian wife who couldn't get to sleep at 3 in the morning, I'd definitely help her with her homework.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Thanks for all the advice.

Her areas she feels she needs work on most are listening comprehension and pronounciation (properly). An English speaker would definitely be a big bonus in both areas. Her current substitute Khmer teacher is much younger than her, she feels maybe she is a higher level student?

How much are individual lessons with an English speaking tutor?

Will check out the school next month. And yes, I was more than happy to help her at 3AM with her homework via FaceTime.

With this new homework assignment, I’m pretty happy. Has a good discussion on many words, such as ‘invest’.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic