Thai tourist boat overturns. Dozens missing.

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
davegorman
BANNED
France

Re: Thai tourist boat overturns. Dozens missing.

Post by davegorman »

Maybe that 60% are heading to Sihanoukville.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Two weeks after announcing that tourist numbers are 20% down following the Phuket boat accident, the Thai authorities say that everything is back on track, and never mind the Chinese...

Thai tourism industry is recovering, says minister
December 3, 2018
The Thai tourism industry, which was dealt a serious blow since mid-July from a substantial drop in Chinese arrivals, has started to recover, say the Thais.
A tourist boat tragedy in the sea off Phuket killed 47 Chinese tourists. Thailand’s Deputy Prime Minister blamed the Chinese themselves for the disaster.

Now, they say, there are more arrivals from other Asean countries, as Tourism and Sports Minister Veerasak Kowsurat claimed on Monday.

He said tourist arrivals from Asean countries have made up a shortfall in number of tourists from other countries.

“The tourism situation has adjusted itself (a Bangkok Jack Report) and we don’t have to depend too heavily on just one segment,” said the minister.

He attributed Thailand’s diversity that has attracted tourists from many countries, not just China.

“They came here not because it is cheap, but because of our diversity. The only thing we must do is to be a good host,” said Mr Veerasak.
https://pattayaone.news/en/thai-tourism ... ecovering/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Rogue
Expatriate
Honduras

Post by Rogue »

Gator wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:29 am It was a tragedy what happened to the the tourist boat. That being said, mainland Chinese tourists are the worst, so if they want to go elsewhere now, then good riddance.
As long as it's not HERE! :evil:
Sidewalker
Expatriate
Netherlands

Post by Sidewalker »

Rogue wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:03 am
Gator wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:29 am It was a tragedy what happened to the the tourist boat. That being said, mainland Chinese tourists are the worst, so if they want to go elsewhere now, then good riddance.
As long as it's not HERE! :evil:
Visit Siem Reap and you will see a lot of Chinese tourists and there are probably also zero Dollars tours. :beer3:
There are people who cannot imagine that there are other ways of life than their own life. :facepalm:
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

kocdim wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:23 pm I dont understand why people died so easy?? Is it hard to swim out of the boat?? They dont know how to swim? Or the boat is pulling them down?
Many Asians cant swim.

Most Cambodians cant swim.

If the water is very rough, it would be difficult even for a good swimmer.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Marsala
Tourist
United States of America

Post by Marsala »

What a disaster. Do boats overturn like this frequently? Just trying to establish if this is a "once in a blue moon" thing or there's something seriously messed up with the security measures.
Experts say these anti snoring devices are the real deal so check them out.
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

Marsala wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:04 pm What a disaster. Do boats overturn like this frequently? Just trying to establish if this is a "once in a blue moon" thing or there's something seriously messed up with the security measures.
Safety standards in Thailand are based on hoping accidents don't happen rather than actively enforcing any safety regulations that exist. The relevant authorities only ever awake from their slumber after the all to regular mass deaths happen. The sad fact is the key concern is earning tourist revenue rather than ensuring tourist safety. There are more mass deaths on the roads than on water but I would say in my time here there is usually a few boat accidents involving deaths annually. We are also coming up to the 9th anniversary of the Santika Night Club fire on New Years Eve in Bangkok when 66 people were killed, no fire inspections, blocked exits etc.
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
geordiesky
Expatriate
Kazakhstan

Post by geordiesky »

Personally I think it's a tragedy.
These charter boats are so over-filled to the brim that the slightest quarter is bound to flip the boat over end. It's okay in rivers and valleys but out on the big blue it's a whole different story. All boat goers you better learn how to swim and float before entering a boat.
And so the story goes as the ocean giveth and taketh away.
Cruisemonkey
Expatriate
Vietnam

Post by Cruisemonkey »

Practically a weekly (sometimes 2-3 times per week) occurrence in Thailand... idiots! Nothing has, or will change.
:facepalm:
You could be next.
tarariverboat
Expatriate
Australia

Post by tarariverboat »

Marsala wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:04 pm What a disaster. Do boats overturn like this frequently? Just trying to establish if this is a "once in a blue moon" thing or there's something seriously messed up with the security measures.
There must be a reason for a vessel to overturn, overloading, centre of gravity not correct, top heavy, poor maintenance, inexperienced crew,uneven weight, accident, waves, winds ect ect but safety of the crew, guests and the vessel itself is something that keeps me awake at night, safety is or should be the main priority, i have 8 boats in Cambodia operating every day, and every day before the boats leave dock the weather is checked, depending on the trip the weather is also constantly checked, its better to have a boat in the docks than out in a big storm,
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic